The United States Census reports that more people take bicycles to work as a form of transportation every year. As more and more people take to the roadways on bicycles as their main form of transportation, the roads fail to appropriately provide adequate bike lanes, and motorists still remain unaware of bicyclists that share the roadways with them.
As a result, many bicyclists suffer injuries due to accidents involving motorists on the roadways. If you suffered injuries or losses in a bicycle accident, contact our team in order to learn how a Chicago bicycle accident lawyer at Ben Crump Law, PLLC at 800-959-1444 can help you receive compensation for your injuries.
Bicycle Accidents in the United States
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), 857 bicyclists suffered fatal injuries as a result of bicycle accidents in the United States in 2018. Even more suffered serious injuries as a result of a bicycle accident. Bicyclists have the legal right to share the roadways with motorists and other pedestrians. However, when accidents occur between motorists and bicyclists, typically, bicyclists are the ones that suffer the greater and more catastrophic injuries.
For a free legal consultation with a bicycle accidents lawyer serving Chicago, call 800-761-5225
Types of Bicycle Accidents
Bicycle accidents can occur for any number of reasons. Even if the bicyclist is partly at fault for the accident, in many cases, the cause of the accident has to do with a driver simply not paying attention closely to their immediate surroundings. In most cases, as evidenced below, the accident occurs as the result of negligent distraction and simply not operating a motor vehicle in the most prudent and careful way. Some of the causes of accidents between bicycles and cars can include the following:
- Side swiping accidents (motorist runs into a bicyclist to the side of them)
- Motorist crosses in front of a bicycle
- Distracted driving of a motorist
- Dangerous road conditions
- Failure to yield
- Rear-end accidents
- Driving a motor vehicle while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Drowsy driving
- Reckless or negligent driving
Chicago Bicycle Accident Lawyer Near Me 800-761-5225
Types of Injuries Suffered Due to Bicycle Accidents
Bicycle accidents often result in catastrophic injuries or fatalities for the bicyclist. When a motorist collides with a bicycle, the bicyclist typically has little protection to safeguard against serious physical injuries. Some of the types of injuries suffered as a result of bicycle accidents may include:
- Broken or fractured bones
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Internal injuries
- Organ damage
- Internal bleeding
If you suffered any injuries resulting from a bicycle accident, you should seek immediate medical attention. If you have yet to seek medical attention, you should do so as soon as possible, not only for your health but also if you want to file a claim to receive compensation from the negligent party for your injuries. In order to obtain compensation from a claim against an insurance company or in a court of law, a victim of a bicycle accident will need proof from a healthcare professional that their injuries are the direct result of their bicycle accident.
If you suffered injuries as a victim of a bicycle accident, learn how Chicago bicycle accident lawyer at Ben Crump Law, PLLC can help you file a claim with an insurance company and negotiate on your behalf.
Types of Compensation
Depending on the facts and circumstances of your bicycle accident, you may have the legal right to pursue compensation for the following:
- Medical bills: Medical bills encompass more than just doctors’ visits. Medical bills may also include ambulance transportation, emergency room visits, hospitalizations, prescription medications, surgeries, medical treatments, mental health treatments, physical therapy, or medical devices.
- Pain and suffering: As a result of your bicycle accident, you likely have endured pain and suffering related to your physical or psychological injuries. You have the legal right to pursue pain and suffering compensation for any daily activities you no longer can accomplish independently or emotional losses, including mental anguish resulting from the bicycle accident.
- Property damage: You will likely need to have your bicycle repaired or replaced.
- Lost wages: If you suffered serious injuries, you likely remain unable to return to work, resulting in lost wages. It is important to note that lost wages do not only include your salary. You may also have the ability to pursue compensation for any vacation or sick time that you used, retirement contributions missed, employee benefits missed, transportation or car allowances, and more.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Unfortunately, in some cases, bicycle accidents turn tragic and end with the death of the bicyclists. If your loved one died as the result of someone else’s negligence in a bicycle accident, you might have significant financial obligations related to their remaining medical expenses or debts related to the accident.
While no amount of money will ever compensate you for the loss of your loved one, filing a wrongful death claim will allow you to receive compensation for funeral expenses, bills related to the bicycle accident, lost wages, loss of future wages, loss of companionship, or the loss of guidance and support to a child.
Additionally, a wrongful death claim will hold the negligent party liable and responsible for their actions that resulted in the death of your loved one.
Consider Visiting with a Chicago Bicycle Accident Lawyer
If you or your loved one suffered injuries and losses related to a bicycle accident in Chicago or the surrounding area, consider how a Chicago bicycle accident lawyer can help you build a personal injury case in order to receive compensation for your losses. Consider calling our team today at Ben Crump Law, PLLC at 800-959-1444 to understand how a lawyer can help you understand all of your legal options.