According to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, more than 3,000 people passed away from fatal injuries sustained in car accidents in Florida in 2017. More than 166,600 car crashes resulted in injuries that same year. Carelessness or outright recklessness by one or more drivers may cause or contribute to the vehicle accident.
If you or a loved one experienced a motor vehicle accident in which the other driver acted in a way that put you at risk, you may hold that person responsible for paying you for your losses. Call Ben Crump Law, PLLC at (844) 638-1822 to discuss the next steps in pursuing compensation.
Car Wrecks Caused by Negligent Driving on Florida’s Roads
Drivers may engage in distracting behaviors, such as using their cell phones while driving at high rates of speed, that put people around them in danger. According to Markets Insider, distracted driving ranks as the number one cause of traffic accidents.
Different forms of distracted driving include:
- Texting while driving.
- Making a phone call while driving.
- Engaging in any other phone-related activity, such as posting on social media or taking your eyes off the road to view a navigation app while driving.
- Adjusting the car’s entertainment system while driving.
- Taking attention off the road to tend to pets, children, or other occupants of the vehicle.
- Taking your eyes off the road to engage with other motorists.
Florida law designates a wide variety of behaviors as distracted driving, which means that you may have a stronger case than you realize if a motorist involved in your accident admits to distracted driving. According to Florida’s Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, someone has engaged in distracted driving if they:
- Take one or more hands off the wheel.
- Take their eyes off the road.
- Think about anything other than driving.
If the motorist who caused or contributed to your or your loved one’s auto accident did any of these things, they may bear fault for your injuries and related losses.
For a free legal consultation with a car accidents lawyer serving Coral Springs, call (844) 638-1822
An Auto Accident Attorney Will Pursue Compensation on Your Behalf
An auto accident lawyer may help you pursue compensation while you recover from your accident injuries. If we take on your case, we may take the following steps to build your personal injury claim or lawsuit:
- File paperwork to get your case started.
- Discuss your case with you in person or over the phone to establish a clear record of how your injuries or loved one’s death happened.
- Collect and document all evidence related to your motor vehicle accident, with a keen eye towards any evidence that suggests wrongdoing or negligence by the defendant in your case.
- Consult with your attending medical professional to obtain documentation of your personal injuries, which will come in handy when it is time to calculate damages.
- Re-interview eyewitnesses to the car wreck, asking them questions that will shine a light on any negligence that led to the accident.
- Shoulder the legal burden of your case from start to finish.
- Protect your rights throughout the legal process.
Allow a Coral Springs car accident lawyer to take on the task of proving that the defendant in your case violated their duty of care to you, causing your accident injuries in a way that makes them responsible for your losses.
Compensation Resulting from a Car Accident Claim
Each traffic collision differs, and the possible awards you may collect will depend on the specifics of your case. Compensation that you collect may cover:
- Emergency transportation that you or your loved one required following the accident.
- Any medical care, including emergency care, required in the wake of the collision.
- Any other medical care required because of your auto accident injuries.
- Lost wages or diminished earning capacity caused by your bodily injuries sustained in the accident.
- Pain and suffering.
- Punitive damages against the defendant.
If your case classifies as a wrongful death claim, then additional awards may extend to:
- The loss of financial protection for you and your family, which may account for your loved one’s projected future income.
- The loss of spousal companionship.
- The loss of guidance for children of the deceased.
- Funeral costs.
Coral Springs Car Accident Lawyer Near Me (844) 638-1822
Florida Statute of Limitations
The statute of limitations in Florida for wrongful death claims generally allows two years from the date of your loved one’s death, while the window for bringing a personal injury case generally allows four years from the date that the accident occurred, according to state law. Call Ben Crump Law, PLLC today to speak to a Coral Springs car accident lawyer at (844) 638-1822 for a free consultation. The sooner you call, the sooner your case can abide by these statutes of limitation.
Establishing Fault in a Personal Injury Claim
Our car accident attorneys will aim to bolster your case by showing that the defendant is at fault for your injuries or your loved one’s death, and the losses that they have caused. Proving this generally requires:
- The defendant breached their duty of care, which mandates all motorists in Florida to avoid putting others at an unreasonable risk of harm.
- Negligence, such as speeding, driving while intoxicated, tailgating, or engaging in distracted driving, caused the breach in their duty of care.
- This breach in their duty of care caused your injuries or loved one’s death.
At this point, your personal injury lawyer may tally your losses, prove those losses to the court with documentation and other evidence, and appeal for your compensation.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Contact Our Auto Accident Lawyers at Ben Crump Law, PLLC Today
We want to help you obtain financial justice if you have sustained injuries or the death of a loved one in an automobile accident. Call Ben Crump Law, PLLC at (844) 638-1822 for a free consultation regarding your case.
Our clients pay nothing upfront, nothing out of pocket, and only if we secure a financial recovery on your behalf.