Side-impact collisions, or “T-bone” accidents, are the cause of nearly one-third of all fatal crashes each year. This type of collision can cause severe injuries, especially to the head, neck, and spine.
A study by the Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine found that seat belts can be less effective in side-impact collisions. Seat belts reduce the risk of being ejected from a vehicle, but they do not protect against injuries caused by the body being thrown against the interior of the car. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 214 mandates all new vehicles include safety features, like side curtain airbags and torso side airbags, to provide additional protection against side-impact collisions.
If you or a loved one were in a side-impact collision, your injuries may not be your fault. Responsibility could lie with the driver who hit your vehicle, with the auto manufacturer for defective safety features, or even with certain road conditions. A Los Angeles side-impact collisions lawyer may be able to help you determine liability and seek awards. Contact Ben Crump Law, PLLC at (800) 959-1444 today for a free case review.
A study by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) found that the critical reason for 94 percent of all crashes is driver error. The most common causes of car accidents in the United States include:
- Distracted driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Bad weather conditions
- Failure to obey traffic lights
- Nighttime driving
If another motorist’s negligent or reckless driving caused a side-impact collision, you may be entitled to compensation. Even if the accident was partly your fault, you may still seek damages. Under California’s pure comparative negligence laws, you can seek awards even if your accident was 99 percent your responsibility. Any settlement you receive will be reduced by your amount of fault.
For a free legal consultation with a side impact collisions accidents lawyer serving Los Angeles, call (844) 638-1822
California Car Accident Laws
After an accident, there are certain state laws you should consider.
California is an at-fault insurance state, meaning each driver’s insurance company pays the other driver’s claims according to their client’s degree of responsibility. According to the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), drivers must show financial responsibility in the form of a liability insurance policy, cash deposit of $35,000 with the DMV, DMV-issued self-insurance certificate, or a surety bond for $35,000.
The amounts of liability coverage mandated by the state are:
- $15,000 for injury and/or death to one person
- $30,000 for injury and/or death to more than one person
- $5,000 for damage to property
If the driver who hit you is uninsured, or their insurance policy does not fully cover the costs of your accident-related expenses, a Los Angeles side impact collisions lawyer with Ben Crump Law, PLLC can help you seek awards in a civil lawsuit.
California requires drivers to report any accident involving injuries, death, or property damage of more than $1,000. Reporting must be done within 10 days of the accident. You can find the SR1 form online. The form also can be completed by a lawyer, insurance agent, or broker. Failure to report the accident can result in the suspension of your driving privileges.
Statutes of Limitations
Statutes of limitations are the period of time the law allows for bringing legal action. In California, you have two years to file suit for claims of personal injury or wrongful death. The statute of limitations for recovering personal property is three years. In most instances, the clock on the statute begins ticking at the time of your accident. It is important not to let the statute of limitations expire if you want to take legal action.
Sometimes, you may not discover you are injured until days or weeks after your accident. You should be sure to double-check yourself for injuries. See a doctor immediately if you think you have been hurt.
Los Angeles Side Impact Collisions Accident Lawyer Near Me (844) 638-1822
What You Can Recover
A Los Angeles side-impact collisions lawyer may be able to help you seek awards for:
- Medical expenses. You may seek compensation for emergency department visits, hospital stays, surgeries, medications, physical therapy, ongoing treatments, and any other medical costs related to your accident.
- Property damage. You may be able to seek awards for the cost of repairing or replacing your vehicle, as well as the costs of any other personal property damaged during your accident.
- Lost wages. If your injuries have caused you to miss work, you may be able to seek awards for lost wages. If you can no longer work in the same capacity as before, you may be entitled to future lost wages or disability payments.
- Pain and suffering. This may include awards for physical and mental anguish, anxiety, stress, and loss of enjoyment of life. You may seek damages for permanent scarring, loss of a limb, disfigurement, and more.
- Wrongful death. If your loved one was killed because of a side-impact collision, you may be able to seek compensation on their behalf. You may also be eligible to seek wrongful death benefits, including awards for loss of companionship and financial support.
Call Ben Crump Law, PLLC
Side impact collisions can be terrifying, and the aftermath can be expensive, especially if you are faced with medical bills and the cost of a new vehicle. If your accident was not your fault, you should not have to pay.
Ben Crump Law, PLLC is here to help you seek justice so that you can focus on getting better. Whether your accident was caused by another driver, unsafe road conditions, or a vehicle defect, a Los Angeles side-impact collisions lawyer can help you determine liability and hold those responsible for your accident accountable.
We are not afraid to take on the most difficult cases. Call Ben Crump Law, PLLC at (800) 959-1444 for your risk-free consultation today.