A Macon birth injury lawyer with Ben Crump Law, PLLC can help you seek financial awards if your child suffered harm during childbirth.
Our attorneys can assist you with a medical malpractice case to recover the cost of your medical bills, pay for future services your child may need, and more.
Common Childbirth Complications Can Result in Lasting Harm to Your Child
If your child or spouse/partner suffered an injury during labor and delivery, it could be because of medical negligence on the part of your health care provider or health care facility. According to Merck Manual, the following complications can lead to birth injuries:
- Use of forceps or vacuums
- Breech birth or abnormal fetal positioning
- Large birth weight
- Premature birth
- Perinatal asphyxia (decrease in blood flow or oxygen to the fetus)
- Placental abruption
- Umbilical cord obstructions
- Fetal infections
- Prolonged or stalled labor
Birth injuries that may impact your child physically and/or cognitively include, but are not limited to:
- Head injuries, including skull fractures and bleeding around the skull
- Bleeding in and around the brain
- Nerve injuries, including brachial plexus injuries, facial nerve injuries, and spinal cord injuries
- Collarbone fractures and broken limbs
- Heart, lung, brain, kidney, and liver damage
- Brain injuries resulting in learning and developmental disorders, including cerebral palsy
While some birth injuries may not be avoidable, others are preventable. If your doctor failed to recognize or properly address complications and it resulted in harm, it may constitute medical malpractice.
For a free legal consultation with a birth injury lawyer serving Macon, call (800) 641-8998
What Awards Are Available to You and Your Child?
If your child has a birth injury, you are probably facing medical bills, time lost at work for you and/or your spouse/partner, and other costs associated with caring for a child with special needs. If your child or spouse/partner’s injury was due to medical negligence, you should not have to pay. We can help you seek awards from the responsible parties.
Your lawyer can help you pursue:
- Past and future medical bills related to your child’s injury, including the cost of medical procedures, hospitalizations, medical devices, and physical and cognitive rehabilitation services
- Medical bills related to injuries your spouse/partner may have suffered during childbirth
- Wages lost due to caring for your child or because of your spouse/partner’s injuries
- Loss of future earning capacity if you or your spouse/partner must cut back at work or leave your job to care for your child
- Funding for educational and developmental resources your child may require
- Funding to pay for necessary home modifications, such as the addition of stairlifts or ramps
- Compensation for pain and suffering caused to you, your child, and your family, including awards for depression, anxiety, physical pain, mental anguish, and loss of enjoyment of life
- Compensation for the wrongful death of your child and/or your spouse/partner, including their medical expenses, funeral and burial costs, and other expenses associated with their injury
Macon Birth Injury Lawyer Near Me (800) 641-8998
Our Birth Injury Attorneys Serving Macon Can Prove Malpractice
If your provider or health care institution hurt your child and family through their negligent actions or inactions, we can prove it. According to Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, there are four elements necessary to proving malpractice:
- The health care provider in question owed your child and spouse/partner a legal duty of care (a doctor/patient relationship existed)
- Your provider breached this duty
- The breach of duty resulted in your child and/or spouse/partner’s injuries
- These injuries resulted in damages
- Locate medical experts willing to testify on your behalf
- Obtain and review medical records related to your child’s injury
- Interview eyewitnesses who can speak to your level of care
- Put our legal knowledge behind securing every penny you and your child deserve
We Can Seek the Most Advantageous Settlement Available to You
Your lawyer can resolve many birth injury cases with a medical malpractice insurance claim against the liable provider or health care facility. Our attorneys can help you prepare and file your claim.
Our firm will build and submit a case proving negligence, calculate your past and future injury-related losses, and represent you during negotiations. We will handle all communication with the insurance companies.
This protects you from intimidation to settle for less than you may deserve. It also ensures you do not say anything the insurance company could use to reduce or deny your settlement.
Our Attorneys Are Not Afraid to Take Your Case All the Way to Trial if Needed
We will make every effort to resolve your case outside of court, and can assist with a lawsuit if your insurance claim is underpaid or denied. If you must take legal action, your case is bound by Georgia’s statute of limitations.
For medical malpractice, you have two years from the time an injury occurs (or from the time you discover an injury to file suit), according to O.C.G.A. § 9-3-71. You have two years to file a wrongful death suit under O.C.G.A. § 9-3-33.
Speaking to our attorneys before your window of time expires can protect your right to damages. Failure to do so will likely bar you from seeking compensation in civil court.
Along with your lawsuit, our attorneys will need time to prepare an “affidavit of expert” pursuant to O.C.G.A. § 9-11-9.1. You must file this document with your case, and it must include the sworn opinion of a medical professional stating negligence led to your injuries.
Reach Out to Ben Crump Law, PLLC Today
Attorney Ben Crump and his team believe in holding the powerful accountable when they harm others. We have helped clients recover millions of dollars in settlements and verdicts. Our results include awards in excess of $1 million for medical malpractice victims.
Our attorneys serving Macon-Bibb County can take your case on contingency, meaning you do not owe us any fees unless we win financial compensation for you. To learn more about how Ben Crump Law, PLLC can help with your birth injury case, call our offices at (800) 641-8998 for a free consultation.