1215 K ST. 17th Floor
Sacramento, CA 95814
A personal injury case is a civil lawsuit one files against a person who caused their injury. This can include physical injuries or damage to a person’s reputation. Anyone daunted by gathering proof and dealing with legal issues surrounding a personal injury case may benefit from the assistance of personal injury lawyers.
If someone else’s negligence caused you or a loved one’s injury in Sacramento, California, it might benefit you to consult a Sacramento personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. Personal injury lawyers can handle a wide range of cases. Call Ben Crump Law, PLLC at 800-730-1331 for a free consultation with a team member serving the Sacramento area.
Types of Personal Injury Lawsuits
Personal injury claims fall under the jurisdiction of civil law and include measurable damage. Several types of personal injury cases include:
- Car Accidents: a lawsuit can address an injury or damages from a car accident that is the other driver’s fault. The result will likely be some level of monetary compensation based on the specifics of the case.
- Medical malpractice: medical professionals have a standard of care to meet every time they treat patients. If a medical professional is reckless or negligent, then any resulting injury or problem can become the basis of a personal injury lawsuit.
- Wrongful death: in any situation where a person dies as a result of negligence, their family can sue the person responsible.
- Product liability: products that are defective or have design flaws and hurt people who bought them can lead to product liability lawsuits against the designer, manufacturer, or retailer.
- Slip and fall accidents: injuries resulting from accidents on other people’s property as a result of poor maintenance or negligence might qualify for a lawsuit.
- Defamation: defamation is using false statements to hurt someone’s reputation. This can have an impact on a person’s ability to work, which makes it a personal injury.
This list does not represent every type of possible personal injury cases. Personal injuries can happen at any time and almost anywhere. Anytime there is a personal injury caused by someone else, whether it is physical or damage to a person’s reputation, there is the potential for a personal injury lawsuit.
Contact Ben Crump Law, PLLC to see what types of awards you may be able to recover.
For a free legal consultation with a personal injury lawyer serving Sacramento, call 800-730-1331
Statute of Limitations
If you or someone you know has been injured or defamed in some way, it might benefit you to seek legal assistance from a Sacramento personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. CA courts have set the statute of limitations for filing personal injury cases at two years. You may not be able to seek compensation through the lawsuit if you file your case after the statute of limitations expires.
It can take a long time for a case to be settled or to go to court. Many cases in the U.S. end with a pre-trial settlement for personal injuries. Your lawyer may be able to negotiate a settlement agreement. This process can take a long time, which is why so many cases end in settlements. The participants grow impatient waiting for court dates, and decide to end it out of court.
Sacramento Personal Injury Lawyer Near Me 800-730-1331
Long-Term Financial Impacts
Personal injury cases can have a lasting financial impact based on the outcome. Personal injuries may lead to medical bills, lost wages, damages, and other problems that become long-term financial commitments. If the injuries are not your fault, then it may be in your best interest to file a personal injury lawsuit against the person that is responsible. If you win the case or settle out of court, you could recover many of these costs. This would help alleviate the added burden of these unexpected financial commitments.
Click to contact our Areas We Serve today
Types of Recoverable Expenses
If you win a personal injury lawsuit, you may recover compensation for your injuries. There are several types of compensation potentially available. The judge will decide which categories are applicable and if you get the full amount that you asked for. In some cases, the judge will decide the exact amount. Some of the types of recoverable compensation include:
- Medical expenses: any medical cost related to your injury can be recovered. This includes medical care, rehabilitation, hospital stays, assistive devices, and many other medical costs. However, your lawyer needs to prove that the costs are related to the injury, not a pre-existing or otherwise acquired condition.
- Lost wages: if you are not able to work because of your injury, or if you lost your transportation in an accident, then you may be able to recover the wages that you lost as a result.
- Legal fees: in some cases, you may be able to recover the legal fees that you incurred due to the cases. This is relatively rare, and there are usually mitigating circumstances that the judge might feel warrants these awards.
- Punitive damages: the judge can choose whether to award punitive damages. These are used to punish the responsible party because he or she did something potentially reprehensible. The more reprehensible the action, the higher the compensation usually is.
- Pain and suffering: you can also recover compensation for your physical and emotional pain and suffering as a result of the accident.
There are many other types of compensation not covered by this list. A Sacramento personal injury lawyer may be able to help you recover the compensation that you need to handle the long and short-term impacts of the injury. However, it is important for your lawyer to start building that case as soon as possible. As time passes, evidence may become harder to find, and testimony becomes more unreliable. A lawyer can preserve evidence and take statements to help build your case before any of these problems set in.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Discuss Your Personal Injury Case
If someone else’s negligence caused your injury, it might help to consult a personal injury lawyer. A lawyer can help you build your case, and help you navigate the legal process. Contact Ben Crump Law, PLLC at 800-730-1331 for a free consultation on your personal injury case.
Call or text 800-730-1331 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form