You expect that the water pouring from your kitchen or bathroom faucet is safe to drink, cook with, or bathe in. Yet, too many Flint residents cannot trust the safety or purity of their drinking water.
If you or your loved ones have suffered because of contaminated water, you could recover medical bills, pain and suffering, and costs associated with wrongful death. A Flint water contamination lawyer will protect your rights and help you seek compensation and justice.
Please call Ben Crump Law, PLLC today for a free case review. You pay nothing upfront and nothing out of pocket for our lawyers to pursue financial recovery on your behalf. Call 800-959-1444.
How Flint’s Water Became a Health Hazard
In 2014, the city of Flint, Michigan, switched from Lake Huron to the Flint River as a water source for residents. Flint residents reported changes in the color, smell, and taste of their tap water. Soon after, tests by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) reported high levels of lead in the water, caused by improper water treatment and plumbing pipes made with lead.
For a free legal consultation with a water contamination lawyer serving Flint, call 800-959-1444
How a Flint Water Contamination Lawyer Can Help You
Flint’s water contamination crisis began in 2014 and, according to the University of Michigan, remains an “egregious example of environmental injustice and racism…”
It can be overwhelming to try and seek compensation from a government agency. That is why many clients turn to Ben Crump Law, PLLC for help.
A Flint water contamination lawyer can help you and your family with strong legal advocacy that includes:
- Securing evidence of physical and emotional injuries from exposure to contaminated water
- Valuating your damages due to contaminated water
- Protecting your rights under Michigan and federal law
- Representing you against all liable parties
- Taking your case to court, if necessary
You are not alone in your right to compensation and justice. An attorney with Ben Crump Law, PLLC will be with you every step of the way. Please contact our firm today for a free consultation.
Flint Water Contamination Lawyer Near Me 800-959-1444
Sources of Contaminated Water
Tap water is supposed to be regulated by the EPA. Your state or city may also have regulatory oversight in addition to these federal guidelines. Yet, despite these safety precautions, tap water can still become contaminated.
The EPA lists the following as the most common sources of contaminants:
- Agricultural runoff that is carried into the water supply and may contain pesticides, herbicides, and fertilizers
- Industry runoff from factories and manufacturing that contains petroleum, solvents, and heavy metals
- Human and animal waste from sewage that seeps into the underground aquifer or is carried directly by lakes and streams
- Corrosion or impurities in the distribution system, including pipes that can transmit lead and other hazardous elements
- Naturally occurring elements found in the nearby soil, such as radium or arsenic, which may contaminate drinking water
These contaminants may cause short-term, acute medical issues, but may also have lasting permanent effects. If you or your loved ones have a water-borne illness, or if contaminated water made an existing illness or injury worse, you may want to work with a Flint water contamination lawyer.
Health Issues Caused by Contaminated Water
Flint residents began noticing the ill effects of their tap water soon after the city decided to use the Flint River as the city’s drinking water source.
The EPA states on its website that unsafe levels of contaminants may cause the following health issues:
- Gastrointestinal illnesses, including abdominal pain, vomiting, and diarrhea
- Neurological diseases and disorders
- Reproductive problems, including the inability to conceive, miscarriages, and stillbirths
- Chronic diseases, such as cancer, liver, and kidney disease
One of the most prevalent health issues from the Flint contaminated water issue is lead poisoning. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), no amount of lead in drinking water is safe. High lead levels in children are particularly dangerous because exposure causes cognitive and physical impairments.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
What a Flint Water Contamination Lawyer Can Do
You may be entitled to compensation for injuries and damages related to contaminated water. A lawyer with Ben Crump Law, PLLC will take care of the many tasks and details required to pursue financial recovery on your behalf.
These tasks include:
- Obtaining medical records, tests, and reports about your illness or condition
- Valuating your damages for both present and anticipated losses
- Securing expert testimony and documentation showing that contaminated water caused or worsened your illness or condition
- Identifying and communicating with all liable parties
Throughout this process, a Flint water contamination lawyer will protect your rights and help you understand your legal options. There is nothing we can do to erase this horrible event, but our legal team will do all we can to hold the liable parties accountable for your damages.
Awards for a Flint Water Contamination Case
If you and your family were affected by lead and the other contaminants in your drinking water, you could be awarded damages for:
- Medical care and attention, including surgery, hospitalization, prescription medicine, rehabilitation, and other types of medical treatment
- Childcare and educational costs for medical conditions caused by contaminated water
- Lost wages and/or decreased earning ability
- Expenses related to potable water issues (such as re-piping your home, adding water treatment systems, and taking other corrective and preventative measures)
- Pain and suffering
- Costs associated with wrongful death, such as funeral expenses
Our lawyers can help you recover compensation on a contingency-fee-basis. This means that you pay nothing upfront and nothing out of pocket. We get paid out of the compensation that we recover on your behalf.
Call Ben Crump Law, PLLC Today
If you or your loved ones have been sickened by contaminated water, you have the opportunity to take legal action in response to your situation. Call the office of Ben Crump Law, PLLC today to learn how a Flint water contamination lawyer may help you seek compensation and justice. Call 800-959-1444 for a free consultation.