Homeowners can lock their doors against dangerous intruders, but for thousands of Newark residents, the real danger flows through their pipes. Since 2017, Newark residents have suffered from high levels of toxic lead in the water which they rely on for drinking, cooking, and bathing, according to Time reporting.
If you or your loved ones are suffering from the effects of lead or other dangerous elements in your water, it may be time to call a Newark water contamination lawyer for help. You could recover compensation to pay for medical care, lost income, pain and suffering, and other losses.
Please call Ben Crump Law, PLLC today for a free case review: (800) 959-1444.
Lead Exposure Can Be Fatal
Lead exposure has been linked to an increased risk for lung, stomach, and bladder cancer. According to the Mayo Clinic, lead poisoning is a serious and sometimes life-threatening condition—particularly for infants, children, and pregnant women. Newborns who are exposed to lead are more likely to be born prematurely and have delayed growth and development.
Symptoms of lead poisoning in children include:
- Developmental delay and difficulties
- Bad temper
- Loss of appetite and weight loss
- Sluggishness and fatigue
- Abdominal pain and/or vomiting
- Hearing loss
Children who consume lead-contaminated water may have learning difficulties that require extra or special educational care. You should not have to shoulder this financial burden this may create, because the city of Newark failed to keep you and your family from harm.
For a free legal consultation with a water contamination lawyer serving Newark, call (800) 959-1444
A Newark Water Contamination Lawyer Can Help You
Every Newark resident has the right to expect clean, safe drinking water. Yet, many citizens in underserved or urban areas are often the victims of environmental negligence. While social media campaigns and news stories may be effective at bringing attention to Newark’s water contamination crisis, you can seek compensation via working with a lawyer.
A lawyer can protect your rights and help you seek a financial award through a focused legal process that includes:
- Establishing that your municipal water supplier owes you a duty of care and should have taken reasonable measures to prevent you from contaminated water
- Showing how this duty of care was breached
- Proving that this negligence caused you or your loved ones to suffer injuries or illness
- Proving financial losses associated with your injury or illness
Like other states, New Jersey has a statute of limitations—or deadline—for taking legal action. You are invited to contact Ben Crump Law, PLLC today for a free consultation.
Newark Water Contamination Lawyer Near Me (800) 959-1444
We Help Our Clients Find Solutions
Although Newark has provided bottled water for more than 15,000 residents who were told to stop using tap water, this does not provide a solution for the suffering and damages you have experienced.
There are several options for pursuing recovery for contaminated water, including:
- Negotiating a settlement for your economic and emotional damages
- Taking your individual case before a jury to seek damages through a verdict in your favor
- Preparing a case for you and many other injured people via a class-action lawsuit
Environmental justice cases are complex. You deserve a legal advocate to help guide you through the process and toward a successful resolution.
How the Ben Crump Law, PLLC Team Can Help
We have a team of lawyers, paralegals, and investigators who can give your case the attention and urgency that it deserves.
Our team is prepared to:
- Gather documentation and evidence of liability
- Secure testimony from environmental and medical experts
- Obtain statements from the city, its vendors, and other entities associated with the sourcing and distribution of your water
- Valuate your losses for both present and future medical, educational, and lifecare needs
You should know that the other side will have their own representation, who will try to deflect responsibility and avoid paying you and your loved ones the compensation you seek. Our law firm is famous for standing up to powerful defendants and tackling complex cases. We will stand with you and speak for you throughout the course of your case.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Recompense You May Be Able to Secure Via a Water Contamination Case
There are several factors that influence how much you could be awarded for water contamination injuries and damages. These factors include:
- Length of time you were exposed to contaminated water
- Illness or medical condition caused by this exposure
- Availability and accessibility to alternative water sources (such as bottled water)
Each case is unique. You might be awarded for losses that include:
- Medical tests
- Hospital visits and/or emergency room service
- Medical treatments (such as chemotherapy)
- Lost wages—if you were too sick to work or if you are the caregiver to a sick parent, spouse, or child
- Educational and/or developmental support for children
- Pain and suffering
It is your right to seek a financial award for injuries and illnesses that were created by negligence. It is our privilege to help you recover compensation and justice for you and your loved ones.
How Newark’s Water Became Contaminated
Lead can make its way into drinking water in several ways, including:
- Lead particles in the water source
- Lead pipes
- Brass plumbing fixtures
- Copper pipes soldered with lead
It is widely believed that the lead contamination in Newark’s water is the result of corrosion in the pipes that allowed lead to leach into the water supply. Lead pipes are no longer installed, but they are prevalent in older neighborhoods. Time reports that some pipes involved in the Newark water contamination situation are over 100 years old.
Please Call Today for a Free Case Review
A Newark water contamination lawyer with Ben Crump Law, PLLC can help you recover damages on a contingency-fee-basis. You pay nothing upfront and we are not paid unless and until we recover compensation on your behalf. You owe it to yourself and your loved ones to find out how a water contamination lawyer with our firm may help.
Please call (800) 959-1444 for a free consultation from one of our team members.