Police chase accidents are complex incidents. Depending on the circumstances, the responsible party could be the fleeing driver, a police department, or another driver trying to dodge the chase.
An Atlanta accidents caused by police chase lawyer from Ben Crump Law, PLLC, might be able to pursue compensation from the party who injured you, no matter who they are. We do not shy away from tough cases, and we believe no one is above the law—not even the police. You may even be eligible for compensation if the police were chasing you and caused you to crash.
Our goal is to help you recover compensation and make sure your accident causes no further harm to you of your family. After identifying who is at fault for your accident, we might be able to help you recover awards for your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.
To learn more about your legal options and discuss your case for free with a representative of our firm, call Ben Crump Law, PLLC, today at (800) 683-5111. If you hire us, we will represent you on a contingency-fee-basis where you pay us nothing upfront, and we collect payment only if we win a settlement on your behalf.
Rules for Police Chases
There are laws about what the police can and cannot do when pursuing a suspect in Georgia. These rules are laid out in O.C.G.A. § 40-6-6 and include guidelines such as:
- Law enforcement vehicles must slow down to determine if it is safe before running a red light or stop sign.
- Police can only go faster than the speed limit if they do not put people or property in danger.
- Law enforcement vehicles can only violate standard traffic regulations in a chase if they are using a siren and a flashing or revolving light.
If you can prove a police officer violated any of these rules in your accident, they could be found liable for your injuries. In addition, the following factors may also come into play when assigning liability to the police:
- Did the suspect pose a danger that warranted the chase and put the public at risk?
- Did police personnel at any level, from officers at the wheel to dispatchers to supervisors, commit a negligent act that contributed to your injury?
- Did the police, at any time, operate without “due regard for the safety of all persons,” as mandated in O.C.G.A. § 40-6-6(4)(d)?
An Atlanta accidents caused by police chase lawyer from Ben Crump Law, PLLC, can investigate your case and attempt to answer these questions when we represent you. If we find that another party besides the police caused your accident, our firm can pursue them for compensation instead.
For a free legal consultation with a police chase accidents lawyer serving Atlanta, call 800-959-1444
Making a Case and Pursuing Compensation
Once we have identified who was responsible for your accident, an Atlanta accidents caused by police chase lawyer from Ben Crump Law, PLLC, can build your case. This may involve:
- Supporting you. We answer your questions, discuss your legal options and possible outcomes, provide legal counsel, and help you understand the laws that apply to your case.
- Representing you personally. We handle all communications, deadlines, and paperwork in your case.
- Gathering evidence to prove liability. Such evidence can include photos or videos of the accident, witness statements, dashcam footage from police cruisers, testimony from accident reconstruction experts, and more.
- Valuing your damages. We review receipts of your expenses and document medical and economic expert testimony about your present future costs.
- Negotiating a settlement. After serving the liable party with a demand letter, we can represent you in settlement negotiations.
- Bringing your case to trial. If necessary, we can take your case to trial to defend your rights before a judge or jury.
Ben Crump Law, PLLC, will remain focused on your case and responsive to your needs during this time. We can also give you updates about your case so that you can dedicate your physical and mental energy to your recovery.
Atlanta Police Chase Accident Lawyer Near Me 800-959-1444
Awards You May Be Able to Recover
Depending on the nature of your accident and your injuries, you could recover compensation for the following damages:
- Post-accident emergency medical treatment
- Current and future costs of treatment, therapy, and medication
- Lost wages and diminished earning capability
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Other noneconomic damages
If a police chase in Atlanta cost your loved one their life, a different group of financial awards may be available to you in a wrongful death lawsuit. Call Ben Crump Law, PLLC, today to learn more about wrongful death actions and the rules that apply to them.
Deadlines for Suing a Government Agency
It is important to note that if your case involves the police, the laws that apply might be different from the laws in a case involving a private citizen. The statute of limitations, or legal time limit in which you can file your lawsuit, could also change depending on the level of government you are suing.
For actions against a city agency, such as the Atlanta Police Department, you may have just six months to take legal action, per O.C.G.A. § 36-33-5. If a county sheriff or state highway patrol vehicle caused your accident, a 12-month deadline might apply to your ability to sue, per O.C.G.A. § 50-21-26.
However, if you are suing a non-government entity, like an individual or corporation, the general statute of limitations in Georgia is two years, per O.C.G.A. § 9-3-33.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Defend Your Rights After a Police Chase Accident
Ben Crump Law, PLLC, understands that dealing with a legal case involving the police can be intimidating. Our firm welcomes the challenge when it means protecting your rights. An Atlanta accidents caused by police chase lawyer from our firm might be able to take your case and fight for justice on your behalf today.
We take many cases on a contingency-fee-basis. In this arrangement, you do not owe us anything in advance. You only pay our attorney fees if and when you recover compensation in a settlement offer or court awards.
To get started with a free consultation on your case with a member of our team, call Ben Crump Law, PLLC, today at (800) 683-5111.