According to research published by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), rear-end accidents account for nearly 30 percent of all collisions nationwide. While some rear-end crashes are simple fender-benders, other rear-end collisions result in catastrophic injuries or even fatalities.
Rear-end accidents often result from the inattention and negligence of a driver who fails to notice that a vehicle has slowed or stopped in front of them. If you suffered injuries in a rear-end collision, you might want to visit with the team at Ben Crump Law, PLLC, to learn how an Austin rear-end collisions lawyer can protect your legal rights after an accident. Call us today at (800) 598-7557 for a free case review.
Why Determining the Cause of a Rear-End Collision Matters
Many rear-end accidents result from inattention and negligence on the part of a motorist. While an investigation can often quickly determine which driver hit the vehicle in front of them, taking additional steps to investigate the cause of the rear-end accident can prove important to the final compensation a victim could recover for their injuries and losses.
The more egregious and reckless a negligent driver’s behavior, the more likely a victim who suffered serious injuries from the accident could recover substantial awards for their losses. Some causes of a rear-end collision include the following:
- Roadway hazards or dangers
- Tailgating (driving too closely to the vehicle in front of them)
- Driving while distracted (e.g., texting while driving, talking on the phone, checking a GPS device, or visiting with other passengers in their vehicle)
- Driving while fatigued
- Operating a motor vehicle under the influence of drugs or alcohol
While there is often a presumption that the driver who hit the vehicle in front of them has liability for injuries and losses of rear-end collision victims, the actual cause of the accident could affect the victim’s ability to receive compensation for their claim. For example, suppose a driver exhibits a wanton and reckless disregard for human life by speeding while under the influence of alcohol. In that case, a victim could request punitive damages from the court.
Every rear-end accident has a unique set of facts and circumstances. Visiting with an Austin rear-end collisions lawyer at Ben Crump Law, PLLC, can help you better understand the amount of compensation you might have a legal right to receive for your injuries and losses. Call our team today for a free case evaluation.
For a free legal consultation with a rear-end collisions lawyer serving Austin, call (800) 598-7557
Whiplash Injuries Caused by Rear-End Collisions
Rear-end collisions can often result in serious injuries—or even fatalities—for the passengers of the vehicle that receives the impact of the car behind them. The Mayo Clinic explains how many whiplash injuries occur in rear-end collisions. Whiplash is a severe injury that occurs when the neck and head snap sharply back and forth, as often happens in a rear-end collision. As a result, the muscles, tendons, ligaments, and soft tissues in the head, neck, and upper back suffer serious injuries.
It is essential to understand that many whiplash injuries do not exhibit symptoms until hours—or even days—after a rear-end collision. Visiting a medical professional for an evaluation immediately following a rear-end collision remains a critical part of ensuring a victim’s health. If you did not seek medical attention from a physician following your rear-end collision, you should do so as soon as possible to ensure your safety and health.
Additionally, if you develop any additional symptoms, or your symptoms worsen, you should revisit your health care provider for another medical valuation. If you suffered whiplash injuries or any other injury following a rear-end collision, you might consider visiting with an Austin rear-end collisions lawyer.
Austin Rear-End Collisions Lawyer Near Me (800) 598-7557
How a Rear-End Collisions Lawyer Can Help with Your Case
You may feel overwhelmed following a rear-end collision and face astronomical medical bills, significant property damage, and lost wages due to your inability to return to work. You might also have to deal with the pain and suffering of whiplash or other injuries.
Moreover, to recover compensation for your injuries and losses, you typically must visit with an insurance company adjuster who’s looking to minimize any award you receive.
The following are ways that a rear-end collisions lawyer can help you with your personal injury case:
- Explain your legal rights, given the specific facts and circumstances of the collision.
- Answer all your questions regarding your case.
- Conduct an independent investigation, if necessary, regarding the rear-end collision.
- Collect evidence and testimony regarding the rear-end collision.
- Gather all medical bills from providers, information from employers regarding lost income, and invoices from car repair shops.
- Determine the appropriate calculations regarding the amount of compensation a victim deserves under the law for their injuries and losses related to their rear-end collision.
- Set a value to your non-economic damages, such as pain and suffering or loss of consortium.
- Make determinations regarding whether expert witnesses should provide testimony.
- Negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf.
- If negotiations with an insurance company fail to provide a fair and just settlement offer, file a lawsuit before the two-year statute of limitations set by Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code §16.003 lapses.
- Build a personal injury case based on evidence and witness testimony, including the possible testimony of expert witnesses.
- Provide representation in a court of law if the case goes to trial.
Consider Visiting with an Austin Rear-End Collisions Lawyer
If you feel overwhelmed with pain, loss of income, and the inability to receive a fair settlement offer from an insurance company following your rear-end collision, consider visiting with our legal team at Ben Crump Law, PLLC. Call us today at (800) 598-7557 to learn how an Austin rear-end collisions lawyer can ensure your legal rights remain protected and fight for the justice and compensation you deserve.