In 2017, 5,172 motorcyclists died in traffic crashes, according to the Insurance Information Institute (III). This makes motorcyclists 27 times more likely to die in a traffic collision than occupants in passenger vehicles per mile traveled. Additionally, 89,000 motorcyclists sustained injuries in 2017.
If you were injured in a motorcycle accident or lost a loved one in a tragic accident, a Detroit motorcycle accident lawyer from Ben Crump Law, PLLC may be able to help. Our team can review the circumstances of your claim during a free consultation and discuss your legal options moving forward. Call us today at (800) 924-3113 to learn about how we can help during this difficult time.
Types of Motorcycle Accidents
There are a number of different types of motorcycle accidents, which may have unique causes that led to them or legal challenges. Some of the most common types of motorcycle accidents include:
A head-on collision can occur with a motorcyclist if someone is illegally passing or does not yield the motorcyclist’s right-of-way. Motorcycles are smaller vehicles in stature, so many drivers of passenger vehicles do not actively look out for them.
The left turn is one of the most dangerous driving maneuvers, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). A left-turn accident may happen when:
- The motorcyclist is traveling through an intersection and a vehicle turns left into the motorcyclist
- The motorist is passing another vehicle
- The motorcyclist is turning left and the oncoming vehicle is speeding or runs a red light
A sideswipe collision occurs when a motorist hits the side of another vehicle. This type of collision often occurs because a driver is distracted or impaired. However, when the vehicle that it collides with is a motorcycle, the repercussions can be deadly and the motorcyclist can be launched into the air.
Drunk Driving Accidents
The Insurance Information Institute reports that one-third of motorists who died in motorcycle accidents were alcohol-impaired.
Although road hazards like tire tread from an 18-wheeler can be dangerous for all motorists, motorcyclists are at a heightened degree of danger to these hazards. Motorcycles are not as stable as other types of vehicles and are lower to the ground, so even a small hazard can cause catastrophic injuries. Road hazards that motorcyclists may encounter include:
- Loose pavement
- Uneven roadways
- Tire tread
Additionally, it can be more dangerous for motorcyclists when it is raining or snowing because the road becomes slicker.
For a free legal consultation with a motorcycle accidents lawyer serving Detroit, call (800) 924-3113
Common Motorcycle Injuries
Some of the most common injuries that motorcyclists suffer in an accident include:
- Head injuries – Motorcyclists may be tossed from their vehicles and collide headfirst into the pavement or another hard surface.
- Spinal cord injuries – Some accidents may lead to temporary or permanent paralysis.
- Fractures – Motorcyclists who make contact with a hard surface when thrown from their vehicle or who are crushed by another vehicle may suffer fractures.
- Road rash – Road rash can lead to deep cuts, abrasions, and bruises as your skin makes contact with the pavement.
Detroit Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Near Me (800) 924-3113
Parties That May Be Liable for a Motorcycle Accident
Before you can receive any compensation for your injuries, you must be able to identify the party or parties that were responsible for your injuries. Some parties that may be potentially liable for the accident include:
- Another driver – Most motor vehicle accidents are caused by driver error. If another driver’s careless actions caused your accident, you may be able to pursue compensation against them.
- Motorcycle manufacturer – If the motorcycle or a component of the motorcycle was defective, the manufacturer may be to blame.
- Government – If the accident was caused by a road hazard that should have been identified and removed, the governmental entity responsible for the maintenance of the road may be responsible for the accident.
A personal injury lawyer can help investigate the accident and determine all potentially liable parties.
Potential Damages in a Motorcycle Accident Case
Michigan law allows accident victims to pursue compensation for the damages they sustained as follows:
Personal Injury Damages
If you were hurt in a motorcycle accident, you may be able to recover compensation for the following:
- The cost to repair or replace your vehicle
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
- Scarring, disfigurement, or disability
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
Wrongful Death Damages
If you lost a loved one in a motorcycle accident and are one of the family members permitted to seek damages in a wrongful death claim, you may be able to recover compensation for damages such as:
- Your loved one’s medical expenses up to the point of death
- Burial and funeral expenses
- Loss of support
- Loss of society
- Loss of companionship
Contact us to find out what damages you may be able to receive compensation for.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
How a Detroit Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Can Help
A Detroit motorcycle accident lawyer can help you with every aspect of your claim, including:
- Investigating the accident
- Gathering evidence to establish liability in the claim, such as the accident report, eyewitness statements, and photographs and videos taken at the scene
- Interviewing eyewitnesses
- Obtaining surveillance or traffic camera footage
- Handling communication with the insurance company
- Requesting and reviewing medical records, employment records, repair estimates, and other evidence of your damages
- Preparing a demand package that summarizes how the accident happened and the legal justification for your demand
- Negotiating a fair settlement with the insurance company
Contact a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Serving Detroit Today
If you were hurt in a motorcycle accident or lost a loved one in a motorcycle accident, a Detroit motorcycle accident lawyer is here to help. You are going through enough right now and do not need anything more to worry about. Ben Crump Law, PLLC is here to help guide you through the personal injury process and to help you seek compensation for the damages you have suffered. Our attorneys work on a contingency fee, so you do not pay for any attorney fees unless and until we settle your claim or secure an award on your behalf. We provide a free consultation to discuss your legal rights and options. Call our firm today at (800) 924-3113 to get started.