When you need medical treatment for an illness or need emergency surgery, you should expect that those treatments should go off without a hitch, or at least not cause unreasonable complications. Sometimes, however, healthcare professionals in Portland, Oregon can make mistakes when caring for patients–otherwise known as medical malpractice.
If you or a loved one is a victim of medical malpractice in Portland, you might be able to recover compensation for everything you went through at the hands of a negligent healthcare worker. The legal team at Ben Crump Law, PLLC takes on medical malpractice cases of all circumstances and may be able to help you with yours. Contact us at (800) 641-8998 to learn more in a free consultation with one of our representatives about how a Portland medical malpractice lawyer might assist in your case.
Common Causes of Medical Malpractice
Just one mistake by a medical worker can forever alter your life. Doctors and nurses are human, thus they can make mistakes from time to time. Just because they make a mistake, though, doesn’t mean that you should be stuck with the medical bills that can result from common causes of medical malpractice such as:
- Failure to diagnose correctly: A doctor could misdiagnose you, which may lead to incorrect treatment or further complications.
- Mistakes during surgery: If a surgery team is in a hurry, then they could mess up during the process. Wrong amounts of anesthesia could be administered, the wrong surgery could be performed, and more.
- Leaving surgical instruments inside the patient: Occasionally, a team could forget to check for all surgical items such as towels, sponges, or even surgical tools and could end up leaving them inside you.
- Installing a defective medical device: Pacemakers, LVAD machines, and other medical devices aid your body in performing essential functions. If a doctor installs a defective device and does not check it over thoroughly beforehand, they could be found negligent.
- Neglecting a patient during their hospital stay: Hospital workers may overlook a patient while they are in the hospital, especially if they are there long-term. This could result in bedsores or other ailments.
- Making a mistake during plastic surgery procedures: Liposuction, Botox, and other plastic surgery procedures come with a certain risk, but if the surgeon makes a mistake, they are often at their office and not at a hospital where emergency situations can be quickly addressed.
To show that the standard of care was violated, you as the plaintiff bear the burden of proof. You must prove that the healthcare worker in question failed in their duty to care for you while you were in the hospital, doctor’s office, or outpatient surgery center and that failure directly caused an injury to you or your loved one.
For a free legal consultation with a medical malpractice lawyer serving Portland, call (800) 641-8998
Nursing Home Abuse Cases in Portland
One rising type of medical malpractice involves nursing home abuse. Many nursing home patients face neglectful behavior from their caregivers, which can result in bodily injury or an overall worsening condition. Common signs of elder abuse include unexplained bruising, torn clothing, bleeding, bruising around genital areas, and more. With a rise in COVID-19 cases and restrictions on who can visit nursing homes, the sad fact is that nursing home abuse may go unchecked.
If you suspect your loved one has become a victim of nursing home abuse in Portland, then you should consider connecting with a lawyer.
Portland Medical Malpractice Lawyer Near Me (800) 641-8998
How a Lawyer May Benefit Your Medical Malpractice Case
If you do experience medical malpractice, then you may want to look into hiring a Portland medical malpractice lawyer. Without someone who knows the law on your side, it could be easier for the other side to try and take advantage of you by offering you a low settlement. Many insurance companies will do everything they can to avoid a large payout, but if you have a lawyer, they will be equipped with the right knowledge to negotiate and get you a higher settlement.
Your attorney will also coordinate everything needed for your case. Medical malpractice claims can get tricky, but with the evidence that your lawyer will compile, your claims will hopefully be as iron-clad as possible. This evidence might include medical records, witness statements, and other documentation of your injury.
Along with all of this, your lawyer will also work to get your case filed before the Oregon statute of limitations for medical malpractice cases expires. In this state, that statute of limitations is two years, according to Oregon Revised Statutes § 12.110.
Click to contact our Portland Personal Injury Lawyers today
Types of Compensation You Could Recover
In cases of medical malpractice, there are certain types of compensation that you may be able to add to your claim. Your attorney can help you figure out what amounts to claim and what to estimate for non-economic damages such as pain and suffering. These types may include:
- Medical Costs: Due to malpractice, there could be side effects that need treatment. That treatment can get expensive quickly, and you should not have to be responsible for paying those costs.
- Lost Earnings: You may miss time at work to recover from the malpractice that you have suffered, and you should be compensated for those lost earnings.
- Wrongful Death: Sometimes, malpractice could cause the death of a loved one. If this happens to you, you deserve to receive an award from the healthcare professional who caused the death.
- Pain and Suffering: Not all suffering from malpractice is easily quantifiable, which is why you could file for pain and suffering damages to help compensate for the emotional trauma you have endured.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Call Us Today
The team at Ben Crump Law, PLLC is ready to help victims of medical malpractice in Portland, OR and the surrounding areas. If you or a loved one suffered at the hands of a negligent medical professional, you could be entitled to compensation. Contact one of our representatives today at (800) 641-8998 for a free consultation where you can learn about how a Portland medical malpractice lawyer may be able to help with your case.
Call or text (800) 641-8998 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form