We trust our healthcare providers with our lives. Most physicians, nurses, and other medical professionals do their best each day to keep us healthy or relieve our pain.
However, when medical providers fail to uphold accepted standards of care, and you or a loved one is injured or becomes ill, you may be able to hold them accountable for your economic and emotional damages.
A Houston medical malpractice lawyer can protect your rights and help you seek financial awards for losses such as medical care bills and lost income. Call Ben Crump Law, PLLC, at (800) 959-1444 today for a free consultation with our legal team.
What to Do if Medical Negligence Causes Your Injury
A medical misstep by itself is not necessarily malpractice; after all, even the most diligent and careful doctor or nurse can make a mistake. Medical malpractice is the failure to follow “generally accepted professional standards,” according to the Legal Information Institute (LII).
If you or a loved one is suffering physical and/or psychological injury because of medical negligence or malpractice, you might receive compensation for your damages.
A Houston medical malpractice lawyer can guide you through this legal process, and suggest that you take these steps:
- Ask your medical provider for a copy of your health records–this is your right as a patient.
- Keep all bills and expenses related to your injuries.
- Keep any correspondence from the insurance company.
Please do not talk to an insurance adjuster or an attorney from the other side until you have talked to a lawyer with Ben Crump Law, PLLC.
For a free legal consultation with a medical malpractice lawyer, call (844) 638-1822
We Help Victims of Medical Malpractice
It is up to you, the plaintiff or injured party, to show how medical negligence or malpractice caused your injury and damages. It is best to consult with a law firm that accepts medical malpractice cases and is familiar with the burden of proof in these cases.
Our lawyers are familiar with many types of medical malpractice cases, including the following:
- Anesthesia errors
- Misdiagnosis, failure to diagnose, or delayed diagnosis
- Defective medical devices
- Surgical errors such as performing the wrong operation or leaving medical items inside a patient
- Emergency room errors
- Birth injuries
- Radiology error in testing procedures and diagnosis
- Failure to treat, monitor, or warn
Our lawyers can protect your legal rights and hold liable parties accountable.
How Long You Have to File a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit
Under Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code § 74.251, you have two years from the date you were injured to file a lawsuit. If you miss this statute of limitations, your case will likely be dismissed.
Doctors and hospitals usually have medical malpractice insurance, and we might be able to recover compensation for you from this coverage. Ben Crump Law, PLLC, can also take your case to court if we cannot reach an acceptable settlement with the other party.
Medical Malpractice Lawyer Near Me (844) 638-1822
Your Right to Seek Compensation
A Houston medical malpractice lawyer will evaluate your case to determine the scope of your economic and emotional damages. Depending on the type of injuries you have and your expected prognosis, you could be awarded compensatory damages for:
- Medical care and treatment both present and future
- Hospitalization and/or rehabilitative care
- Lifecare costs
- Prescriptions, medical equipment, or adaptive devices
- Lost pay
- Diminished earning potential
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of companionship or consortium
Our lawyers will work on your behalf to recover compensation and justice for you and your loved ones.
Medical Negligence Can Be Deadly
It is surprising for people to learn that medical errors are the third leading cause of death in the United States after heart disease and cancer, according to a Johns Hopkins Medicine study.
If you have lost a loved one from medical malpractice, an attorney with Ben Crump Law, PLLC, may be able to recover wrongful death damages for you and other surviving family members. We can help you seek compensation and justice for the financial and emotional loss that your family is suffering because of negligence.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Why Medical Malpractice Happens
In our experience, medical malpractice is not intentional, but the result of carelessness or omission. Specific examples of malpractice include:
- Communication or information errors
- Poorly coordinated care
- Overworked staff with inadequate support
- Gaps in care between medical specialists
- Administration errors
- Poorly trained staff
Healthcare professionals are expected to uphold a standard of care. This means that your doctor would follow the same accepted medical practices of another doctor with a similar background and training.
Factors of Medical Malpractice Cases
There are a few factors must be proven in all medical malpractice cases:
- Prove that a doctor-patient relationship exists.
- Establish that doctors (and other medical providers) have a duty of care to perform services according to accepted medical practices.
- Show how the duty of care was breached after a failure to act or carelessness.
- Demonstrate that this breach caused injury, illness, or loss of life.
- Support evidence of damages in the form of medical bills, lost pay, mental anguish, and other losses.
Our legal team at Ben Crump Law, PLLC, has recovered millions in damages for our clients in settlements and verdicts. While past results do not guarantee future outcomes, we diligently pursue compensation and justice for you and your loved ones.
We Look After You While You Focus on Feeling Better
If you are suffering because of medical negligence, the last thing you need is to worry about recovering compensation. A Houston medical malpractice lawyer will protect your rights and seek compensation from all liable parties. This allows you to rest and focus on your health and recovery.
Please call Ben Crump Law, PLLC, at (800) 959-1444 today for a free consultation.