When security measures are not in place or not adequate, property owners are open to a lawsuit for negligent or inadequate security. It is a type of negligence case that focuses on the property owner’s failure to provide effective security on their property. This is mainly a problem for business owners with facilities, like stores and workshops.
If you are injured as a result of poor premises security, then you may be entitled to compensation. A Sacramento negligent security lawyer can build a case against the property owner and manage your case. Call Ben Crump Law, PLLC at 800-896-1221 to consult with a legal team that regularly handles negligent security lawsuits.
Examples of Negligent Security
Negligent security can take many forms. All that is required is a lack of security precautions or inadequate security features that result in someone’s injuries. Some examples of negligent security include:
- Violence in public places: There are many examples of violence in public places and some that are popularized in fictional works. However, the failure to prevent violence and protect people in public spaces, such as malls and nightclubs, opens the facility up to a negligent security lawsuit.
- Inadequate lighting: Property owners must provide adequate lighting so that people can avoid obstacles that could lead to injuries. Failure to do so opens people up to injuries and potential violence.
- Lack of basic security measures: Basic security measures, like lighting and emergency signs, should be in place at all times. A lack of these basic security measures can make it difficult to prevent injuries or to provide the necessary security to keep people safe.
There are other examples of negligent security that are not covered on this list. Injuries that are the result of negligent security should be investigated as soon as possible. Consulting a lawyer soon after the incident makes it easier to collect evidence and build an effective case to hold the responsible parties accountable. Call Ben Crump Law, PLLC today for a consultation.
For a free legal consultation with a negligent security lawyer serving Sacramento, call 800-896-1221
Causes of Negligent Security
In most cases, the cause of negligent security is an error in the design of a facility’s security systems. These security shortcomings are often unintentional, and many property owners do not realize the full extent that they hold civil liability for security problems. However, this does not absolve them of their responsibilities. As property owners, they have the obligation to be proactive in ensuring that security on the property is adequate.
There are cases where negligent security is caused by security personnel. It is not uncommon for security personnel to be distracted by other things. However, most security professionals do not let these distractions hurt their performance. When some do, they create security problems that can lead to serious injuries. The facility is still liable for those injuries, even if the security personnel is contracted through another company.
Sacramento Negligent Security Lawyer Near Me 800-896-1221
Holding Security Accountable
One way to hold security accountable is to file a negligent security lawsuit. It will target the business or property owner. In extreme cases where specific wrongdoing on the part of a single person is the cause, that person may be held responsible separately as well. There is no excuse or way around the fact that property owners are ultimately responsible for security on their properties.
It is possible that the property owner will try to settle out of court. If this is the case, have a Sacramento negligent security lawyer review the terms of the deal before you agree to it. Many of these initial deals do not take into account the full costs of long-term medical treatments and other expenses as a result of your injuries. Having a lawyer review the deal ensures that you do not agree to a deal that will not adequately cover your expenses.
Click to contact our Sacramento Personal Injury Lawyers today
Expected Steps to Keep Premises Safe
There is a basic standard of security that should be maintained at every facility. There are steps that you can take to ensure that the security is adequate. These steps include:
- Identifying security concerns: Assess the facility for any internal and external security concerns, like uneven walkways, hidden obstacles, and areas that need fencing.
- Lighting all areas inside and outside: Make sure that all areas have adequate lighting for day and nighttime operations.
- Placing emergency signs and systems: In accordance with the California code of regulations, place emergency signs where appropriate to help people avoid problems.
- Securing entry points: Place security systems or personnel at all entry points. Make sure that they are secure at all times, day or night.
- Establishing security programs: Develop a security plan so that it is easier to manage security throughout the facility, and so that staff and personnel know what to expect.
- Consulting security companies if needed: If you have extensive security needs or questions about security programs, consult a company that provides security services. They can assess your needs and help you develop a security program for your facility.
There are many other steps to take when trying to establish security at a facility. Effective security can prevent a lot of pain and suffering. Always be aware of your surroundings to ensure that you can stay safe despite possible problems with security, especially in instances where assessing the plaintiff’s fault in negligent security actions may come into play. We can hold security responsible for acting negligently if it is discovered that security failed to uphold their duty of care.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Negligent Security Damages
If you are injured as the result of negligent security, then you may be entitled to compensation from the property owner. This compensation is based on the damage done by the lapse in security. For example, medical bills can be compensated if the bills are related to the injury. You could also recover lost wages if you miss work and the costs of repairing or replacing your property if it is damaged. The amount that you receive in compensation is related to the cost of repairing damages or paying bills, with some additional compensation at the discretion of the judge if it applies.
Contact Us Today for Legal Help
Suffering injuries because of negligent security can be expensive to address. If you or someone that you know is involved in a negligent security case, contact our firm as soon as possible to get a case started. Call Ben Crump Law, PLLC at 800-896-1221 for assistance from a Sacramento negligent security lawyer legal team that handles these cases.
Call or text 800-896-1221 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form