Burns can be painful and take a long time to heal. Most of the time, burn victims need specialized treatment and long-term care to recover. This can be expensive and a burden for anyone, especially if they did not cause the accident.
If you or someone that you know endured burns from an accident that is not their fault, then you may be able to recover compensation and hold that person accountable. A Sacramento burn injuries lawyer can manage your case. Call Ben Crump Law, PLLC at 800-607-2992 for legal assistance related to burn injuries.
Types of Burn Injuries
Burns can happen in a variety of ways and result in significantly different outcomes, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The type of treatment that you need and the compensation that you can sue for depends on the type of burn that you have. Some of the types of burn injuries include:
- First-degree burns: First-degree burns are lighter burns that just affect the outer layer of skin. They heal relatively quickly and may not need medical care to handle.
- Second-degree burns: Second-degree burns are a bit worse and affect the first several layers of skin. These require medical attention and risk a serious infection.
- Third-degree burns: Third-degree are the most serious burns and affect every layer of skin. Extensive medical intervention is needed, and the damage may never fully heal.
- Radiation burns: These are burns from radiation. They can damage skin and cause tissue damage throughout the body. Radiation burns come from a variety of sources including microwaves and the sun. Anyone with radiation burns has an increased risk of developing cancer.
- Thermal burns: Thermal burns are the result of intense heat that dries out and sears flesh. It is possible to get thermal burns without touching fire; all that is needed is a heat source, like an electric stove.
- Chemical burns: Chemical reactions can cause burns through thermal reactions or other reactions when they touch the skin. These can be especially dangerous since the chemicals can be ingested.
- Electrical burns: Electrical burns are the result of electricity passing over or through the body, leaving behind trails of damaged tissue. Electrical burns tend to be very precise compared to other burns as only the tissue that electricity passes through is burned.
- Friction burns: Friction burns happen when tissue is rubbed against a surface that can cause intense heat or slowly rub the skin away. This is a common injury in motorcycle accidents or car accidents where the driver is ejected from the car.
- Product liability: Products that have defects can lead to injuries including burns. As presented by the Insurance Information Institute, the manufacturer and retailer of the product may be held responsible depending on the circumstances.
There are other types of burns not covered on this list. Any type of burn should be considered an emergency since untreated burns can lead to infections and other serious conditions. Seek medical help immediately and follow up with legal assistance if the situation warrants further exploration.
For a free legal consultation with a burn injuries lawyer serving Sacramento, call 800-607-2992
Types of Necessary Medical Care
Medical care for burns can vary based on the severity of the burn, what type of burn it is, and how it happened, according to the National Institute of General Medical Sciences. Mild burns can be treated at home using over-the-counter products. A simple sterilizer and breathable bandage can be all that is needed. More severe burns require detailed medical care to recover from.
The process begins by determining what caused the burn and removing the source if it is still present. This can be a problem with chemical burns since the chemicals could still be present without reacting. Then, the burn must be thoroughly cleaned, including removing damaged tissue in many cases. Specialized care from a burn unit is required for this, as it is painful, and a sterile environment is a necessity. The wound is treated and dressed with the appropriate equipment while the patient is kept as comfortable as possible.
Aside from treating the burn(s), other forms of care are necessary. Burn victims often have breathing problems, severe lacerations, and broken bones depending on the cause of the burn. All of these problems must be treated simultaneously. The recovery process will also require long-term rehabilitation and intensive care in the most severe cases.
Sacramento Burn Injuries Lawyer Near Me 800-607-2992
Burn treatments and the associated medical bills for other injuries are expensive. Burn care is a specialization and often has a higher price than other types of care. Because of this, the resulting medical bills will take a long time to pay off.
There are other potential expenses that you may have as well. Lost wages can be an important problem to address. If you are not able to work because of your injuries, then you may be able to recover those wages as compensation in a lawsuit. The same can be said for damages to any property that coincides with your injuries if they were a result of an accident.
If you were not responsible for the accident that caused the burn, filing a burn injury lawsuit may be important. The compensation that you can recover will help pay off the medical expenses and other expenses that you may have as a result of your injuries.
A Sacramento burn injuries lawyer can assess your case. Call Ben Crump Law, PLLC to speak with a representative today.
One of the more common causes of burn injuries is negligent landlords. Landlords have an obligation to keep their properties in a safe condition. This includes infrastructure maintenance, removing hazards, and ensuring that residents follow guidelines to keep everyone safe. Failing to maintain properties can lead to electrical fires and other problems. Because of this, it is possible to file a lawsuit against your landlord if you are injured.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Contact Us for a Consultation
Receiving burns because of someone else can lead to a long list of problems that you need to deal with. Fortunately, you can get help in addressing these problems, and you do have the option of filing a civil lawsuit. Consult a Sacramento burn injuries lawyer to assess your case. Call Ben Crump Law, PLLC at 800-607-2992 to meet with a legal team that can help you get the compensation that you are entitled to.