Bicycles are a wonderful way to stay in shape and avoid being stuck in traffic. However, their lack of protection means that bicyclists have a higher risk of injury and death, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
If you have been in a bicycle accident in the Akron, Ohio, area, you might want to consider speaking with a bicycle accident lawyer if you have suffered damages from injuries caused by someone’s careless behavior.
An Akron bicycle accident lawyer can help you understand your rights and options for pursuing compensation. You have already suffered physical and emotional injuries. You should not have to suffer financially for someone’s careless act.
Ben Crump Law, PLLC, has recovered damages for clients who were harmed through a personal injury or accident like yours. We understand Ohio’s liability and negligence laws that could help you recover damages for medical bills, lost pay, and more.
Contact our firm today for a free, no-obligation case review at (800) 761-5225.
Common Bicycle Accident Injuries
Injuries from bicycle accidents can be extensive, and sadly, life-threatening. According to the American Association of Family Physicians (AAFP), the most common injuries include:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Facial and dental lacerations
- Crushed ribcage and organ damage
- Severe abrasions and lacerations (“road rash”)
- Crushed, broken, or fractured bones
- Spinal cord damage
You should not have to suffer financially for the cost of treating these catastrophic injuries from an accident that you did not cause.
For a free legal consultation with a bicycle accidents lawyer serving Akron, call (800) 761-5225
Benefits of a Bicycle Accident Lawyer
If you know one thing about insurance companies, you know that they are quick to collect premiums and slow to pay claims. Some insurance companies make it extremely challenging by using pressure or scare tactics to try and get you to accept a lowball offer.
While hiring a bicycle accident lawyer does not guarantee that you will recover damages, it can make the task of pursuing compensation easier on you, particularly if you are recovering from injuries and not feeling well.
An Akron bicycle accident lawyer with Ben Crump Law, PLLC, can help you by:
- Investigating the cause and parties involved with your accident
- Gaining an understanding of your injuries and your overall prognosis
- Securing evidence of liability
- Communicating and negotiating with liable parties (and their insurance carriers) on your behalf
- Protecting your rights
Many bicycle accidents can be successfully resolved without the need to go to court. However, our trial lawyers can and will move your case to the next level if the other party does not negotiate in good faith.
Time Limits on Legal Action
Under Ohio Revised Code § 2305.10, you have two years to file a personal injury lawsuit. This deadline begins on the date that you were injured, and if you miss it, your case will likely be dismissed.
Two years is not a long time in the legal arena when the courts are sometimes booked several months ahead. You are encouraged to contact the office of an Akron bicycle accident lawyer as soon as possible.
Akron Bicycle Accident Lawyer Near Me (800) 761-5225
Our Lawyers Are Here to Help Bicycle Accident Victims
There are many reasons why bicycle accidents occur. Our lawyers may be able to help if you were injured in an accident caused by:
- A motorist who failed to yield or followed you too closely
- A motorist who was speeding or ran into the bike lane
- A motorist who opened a car door into a bicycle path
- A motorist who was driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Distracted driving (for example, texting while driving)
- Faulty equipment
- Dangerous road conditions
Proving Liability in a Bicycle Accident
A lawyer with Ben Crump Law, PLLC, can help identify liable parties in your bicycle accident. You may be entitled to compensation if some aspects of liability are met, such as:
- The other party owed you a duty of care to take reasonable measures that the average person would take to prevent injuring you (such as obeying posted speed limits).
- The other party breached this duty of care in some way, such as speeding.
- This negligence led to your injuries.
- These injuries resulted in damages such as medical bills, lost wages, mental anguish, and other expenses.
Some insurance companies may try to assign most of the blame on you to avoid paying your damages. This is one reason why it is helpful for you to have a bicycle accident attorney on your side who can counter this tactic with evidence, testimony, and documentation.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Our Process for Seeking Damages
Depending on the circumstances of your accident, a lawyer with Ben Crump Law, PLLC, could identify more than one liable party. Our team can dig deep to get the facts and evidence necessary to show liability.
This evidence often includes:
- Photos and videos of the accident scene, including pictures of your damaged bike, your injuries, and other supporting information
- Police reports, witness statements, and expert testimony
- Medical tests and report from your healthcare provider
- A report of the motorist’s driving history and any relevant drug or alcohol testing
We use this collected evidence to file an insurance claim, and if necessary, a personal injury lawsuit.
Damages for a Bicycle Accident
Our bicycle accident lawyers have helped many clients recover damages for losses that may include:
- Medical expenses including emergency care, ambulance, surgery, hospitalization, prescription drugs, and other treatment
- Lost wages due to your injuries
- Reduced earning potential because of disability or long-term medical issues
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
An Akron bicycle accident lawyer can objectively assess your injuries and damages for both current and future expenses. Some bicycle accident injuries are extensive and may prevent you from returning to your previous job or from working at all.
We Could Help You Recover Damages
If you or a loved one is recovering from injuries in a bicycle accident that was not your fault, you could be awarded for damages. We invite you to learn how an Akron bicycle accident lawyer might be able to help you.
Call Ben Crump Law, PLLC, for a free consultation with a team member at (800) 761-5225.