In 2017, Florida led the country for fatal bike crashes with a total of 125 deaths, according to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). While bicyclists and motorists alike have a responsibility to exercise caution on the road, motorists must remain vigilant to avoid hitting bicyclists because bike riders do not have the added protection a vehicle offers during the impact of a collision. If you suffered bicycle accident injuries, or a loved one passed away due to a negligent motorist, you may qualify to collect compensation.
Call Ben Crump Law, PLLC at 800-761-5225 for a free consultation. A Coral Springs accident attorney may help you file a personal injury claim or bring your case to court if necessary.
Bicyclists More Vulnerable to Injury and Death than Car Drivers
Bicycles provide an essential means of travel for residents and commuters, as well as a form of exercise or leisure. In Florida, riding a bike means traveling in close proximity to cars, trucks, and SUVs, and motorists may breach their duty of care to cyclists due to reckless or distracted driving.
The law requires motorists driving vehicles anywhere near a bike rider to take basic steps to ensure your bicycle safety. Some ways that motorists can avoid striking a bicyclist include:
- Understanding when cyclists have the right of way.
- Keeping a keen eye out for bike riders, which may prove more difficult to spot than motor vehicles.
- Staying alert to bicycle lanes and maintaining a safe distance from cyclists that they see.
- Respecting crosswalks and checking multiple times before turning right at a red light.
By doing these things, a motorist can drastically reduce the odds of colliding with a bicyclist and avoid causing serious injury or death as a result. When drivers fail to do these things, their negligence may result in injuries and losses for which they may shoulder responsibility.
For a free legal consultation with a bicycle accidents lawyer serving Coral Springs, call 800-761-5225
Driver Negligence Causes Lethal Hazards in Bike Crashes for Riders
A variety of negligent behaviors on the part of the motorist can cause a bike accident. A driver might:
- Fail to see a rider in the bike lane.
- Refuse to yield the right-of-way.
- Turn into the cyclist as they are making a right turn.
- Enter the bike lane.
- Open their car door as a cyclist passes by.
If you or a loved one sustained personal injuries while riding a bicycle, someone may owe you compensation. Call Ben Crump Law, PLLC today at 800-761-5225 for a free consultation.
Coral Springs Bicycle Accident Lawyer Near Me 800-761-5225
A Bicycle Accident Attorney Can Handle Your Case
If you experienced a car-bicycle accident or have lost a loved one in such an accident, allowing a bicycle accident attorney to take over your pursuit of financial recovery may help you receive the compensation you deserve.
Some ways that an accident attorney may help include:
- Starting your case by filing all necessary paperwork before relevant statutes of limitation expire.
- Collecting evidence of the circumstances that led to the biking accident, such as video, photographs, eyewitness accounts, and police reports pertaining to the car and bicycle accident.
- Attempting to prove the negligence of the defendant(s) in your case.
- Fulfilling all legal responsibilities required to bring your case to a resolution, in or out of court.
- Protecting your rights throughout the legal process.
Avoid waiting to file your personal injury case because waiting too long may affect your right to pursue the compensation that you deserve. The statute of limitations in Florida for wrongful death claims generally allows two years from the date of your loved one’s death. You must file for a personal injury lawsuit no more than four-years starting from the date that the accident occurred. You want to make sure you have access to all your legal options, so call a Coral Springs bicycle accident lawyer to check your eligibility for compensation.
Handling the litigation process of a bicycle accident claim on your own may prove overwhelming while recovering from a bicycle wreck. Ben Crump Law, PLLC wants you to know that you do not need to handle any of it. A bicycle accident lawyer may help you build a case.
Possible Compensation from Your Biking Accident Case
If your injury lawyer obtains a settlement or judgment in your favor, you may collect compensation covering both economic and non-economic losses.
Awards for Economic Losses
The economic losses you may recover depends on the circumstances of your accident. After a bicycle crash in Coral Springs, you may qualify for:
- The cost of medical care related to the accident (e.g. surgeries, medications, and emergency care).
- Lost wages.
- Diminished earning capacity if your injuries require you to take a lesser paying job, work fewer hours, or retire.
- Miscellaneous expenses, such as the costs of renovating your home to accommodate a wheelchair.
Other economic awards may apply in your specific case.
Awards for Non-economic Losses
You might also qualify for personal injury compensation for non-economic losses after an accident while riding a bicycle, such as:
- Pain and suffering.
- Mental anguish.
Awards for Wrongful Death
If you lost a loved one due to a bicycle accident death, you may also qualify for compensation for:
- Funeral and burial costs.
- Loss of consortium.
Other expenses related to your loved one’s death, such as their medical bills, may also apply in your case.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Contact a Bike Accident Lawyer from Ben Crump Law, PLLC for Help
We understand the losses that come from bicycle accidents, and we aim to help you seek the financial justice that you deserve. Call Ben Crump Law, PLLC today at 800-761-5225 for a free consultation regarding your personal injury case.
We take cases on a contingency basis, so you will pay nothing upfront and nothing out of pocket. We only collect a fee if we secure financial recovery in your favor.