After a car crash in Durham, NC, you are likely reeling from the shock and feeling pain, especially if you suffered a whiplash injury. Whiplash is one of the most common types of injuries that you can get from an auto accident, sports accident, physical abuse, and more, and it can be mild to severe, according to the Mayo Clinic. No matter how mild or severe your injury is, you could still be entitled to recover compensation for your injury.
The legal team at Ben Crump Law, PLLC, can help you with your case and guide you on what to do in a free, initial consultation with one of our representatives. If we think that you would benefit from working with a Durham whiplash lawyer lawyer, then we will tell you your next steps. Call us today at (800) 598-7557 to begin your consultation.
Causes and Treatment of Whiplash Injuries
Whiplash results when someone is thrown back and forth quickly, like the crack of a whip. It can be caused by sports injuries or physical altercations, but it is most commonly linked to automobile accidents. Almost any car crash may lead to a whiplash injury, but typically, a rear-end collision causes whiplash from the force of the impact.
Even if your whiplash feels mild at first, neck injuries should be examined as soon as possible after the wreck. Often, victims of whiplash do not feel the injury at first, but symptoms tend to set in within a day of the wreck. Those symptoms could include:
- Inability to move your neck or pain when moving
- A numb or tingling feeling in your arms
- Pain in your shoulders, upper back, or arms
- Dizzy spells
- Ringing in your ears
- Blurred vision
- Finding it hard to concentrate
Depending on the severity of your whiplash injury, you could either recover in a couple of weeks or require ongoing physical therapy to aid in your recovery. You could even face lifelong impacts with lasting back pain or loss of some mobility in your neck.
Prescription medications, doctor visits, and other costs will add up rapidly as you work on trying to get better. Keep a record of all of your costs, medical bills, and more as these may be recovered in your claim.
For a free legal consultation with a whiplashs lawyer serving Durham, call 844-638-1822
Why You Should Consider Hiring a Lawyer
If you want to try and recover your financial damages after suffering from a whiplash injury, then you have the option of looking into hiring a Durham whiplash lawyer lawyer. Filing a claim can be quite involved, and if you are already experiencing pain from your wreck, you do not need this added stress.
A lawyer will put together all aspects of your claim for you and help ensure the case is ironclad. Without their legal knowledge on your side, the other side could try and exploit loopholes or other areas of personal injury law. Your lawyer will make sure your claim is valid by doing the following:
- Negotiating with all parties: Speaking with insurance companies can get frustrating and stressful, and they might try to take advantage of you by offering you less than what you should be getting. Your attorney will be the point of communication for all parties and speak on your behalf during the negotiation phase.
- Compiling evidence: For your case, you will need to show that the other party was at fault. This will involve compiling evidence that will back you up, such as medical records, witness statements, photos of the scene and damage to the car, traffic camera footage, dash camera footage, and more.
- Proving negligence: To be eligible to collect compensation, you must prove that you have no fault at all. North Carolina operates under a strict contributory negligence doctrine, which means if you have any fault for an accident, then you cannot file for damages at all, according to North Carolina General Statutes §1-139. Your lawyer will use all available evidence to get any assigned fault removed from you so that you can then file for damages.
- Filing Your Case on Time: You have three years from the time of the accident to file your claim. If you wait too long, then the statute of limitations could expire, and you will not be able to file. Your lawyer will get everything together on time.
Durham Whiplashs Lawyer Near Me 844-638-1822
Types of Compensation You Could Recover
After suffering a whiplash injury, there are several types of compensation that you could try to file for, which include:
- Lost wages: Missing time at work to recover from a whiplash injury may cause financial issues that you were not prepared for, and you should not be stuck with that.
- Future estimated earnings: If your whiplash was very severe, and you can’t resume your previous job duties, then you could be able to add those future estimated earnings to your claim.
- Medical bills: Doctor visits, prescription pills, physical therapy, and other medical bills get expensive, and those costs can be a part of your claim.
- Future costs of medical treatment: Severe whiplash injuries could require ongoing care for many years, and that should be something for which you receive compensation.
- Personal property damage: The costs to repair or replace your vehicle after an accident could also be a part of your claim.
- Pain and suffering: Along with the physical injury that comes from whiplash, there could also be mental and emotional trauma that you need to be compensated for.
If You Suffered a Whiplash Injury, Call Our Team Today
Throughout Durham and surrounding areas of North Carolina, the legal team at Ben Crump Law, PLLC, helps victims of whiplash lawyers recover compensation for their injuries. If you have suffered from an accident that was not your fault and were injured in the process, then you could be entitled to recover the financial costs associated with your accident.
Contact our representatives today at (800) 598-7557 to begin your free, no-obligation consultation about your whiplash injury. We will talk about your case and tell you about how a Durham whiplash lawyer may be able to help you.