Medical errors and other forms of malpractice have had a devastating impact on the health of Americans throughout the years. According to research by Johns Hopkins, medical mistakes are the third leading cause of death in the country. This works out to roughly 250,000 deaths due to medical error each year.
Medical malpractice covers a vast array of medical and surgical mistakes. It includes errors through every step of medical care, from diagnosis to treatment. In addition to the fatal consequences these errors can have, malpractice also frequently causes life-altering issues for those that survive the mistake.
If you are dealing with the consequences of a medical error, an Indianapolis medical malpractice lawyer at Ben Crump Law, PLLC stands ready to help you pursue a monetary award. Call (800)-641-8998 to schedule a free consultation with our team right away.
Types of Medical Malpractice Claims
Any violation of the normal “standard of care” by a doctor or other medical professional could result in a viable negligence claim. According to the Western Journal of Emergency Medicine, the standard of care is the level of treatment that is expected of medical professionals, given the circumstances.
In general, there are six categories of medical malpractice claims. While every claim is unique, most acts of medical malpractice will fall into one of these categories. The types of malpractice claims include:
- Misdiagnosis: Misdiagnosis is the failure to correctly determine the illness that affects a patient. This could involve incorrectly telling the patient they are not suffering from any illness, or it could result from a doctor identifying the wrong illness entirely.
- Delayed diagnosis: A delayed diagnosis is similar to misdiagnosis. While a doctor ultimately properly identifies what ails the patient, this diagnosis comes after an unreasonable delay.
- Failure to treat: Not all medical errors occur during the diagnosis phase. A doctor could correctly diagnose an illness or injury, only to fail to treat it properly. These errors could occur when a doctor forgets to prescribe a treatment due to their overwhelming caseload.
- Surgical mistakes: Some of the most devastating malpractice claims stem from surgical mistakes. Surgical errors are dangerous in multiple ways. First, they can worsen the underlying condition during a botched surgery. Second, they could damage nearby organs or tissue outside of the scope of the procedure.
- Birth injuries: Birth injuries are their own category of medical malpractice. These claims could involve injuries to the mother as well as the child. While many birth injuries occur during delivery, mistakes made during prenatal care can also result in complications during birth.
- Medical device failures: Not all medical errors are directly attributed to a doctor or surgeon. Some medical errors occur when devices fail. It is possible to pursue a claim against the maker of a defective medical device.
Any of these acts could lead to a strong claim for a monetary award. While pursuing these claims is never easy, the right attorney could greatly simplify your medical malpractice case.
For a free legal consultation with a medical malpractices lawyer serving Indianapolis, call 800-959-1444
How a Malpractice Lawyer Could Help
There are a lot of moving parts in a medical malpractice case. These claims are particularly challenging, given that they require a degree of medical knowledge. For that reason, not every attorney is capable of pursuing a medical malpractice claim. Some ways a medical malpractice attorney could help your claim include:
- Investigating your injuries and identifying the negligent parties
- Compiling your medical records to assess your potential damages
- Negotiating with insurance companies in an effort to settle your claim
- Filing a lawsuit against the at-fault parties
- Consulting with medical experts to ensure you build a strong case for negligence
- Conducting discovery to obtain information that could be useful to your claim
- Ensuring your rights are protected throughout the process.
There are many advantages to working with an Indianapolis medical malpractice lawyer. To get the most out of your injury claim resulting from a medical error, contact Ben Crump Law, PLLC to schedule your free case evaluation.
Indianapolis Medical Malpractices Lawyer Near Me 800-959-1444
How a Contingency Fee Agreement Works in Your Favor
At Ben Crump Law, PLLC, we approach every medical malpractice claim on a contingency basis. We know that many people living with the consequences of a medical mistake face financial hardship, and we believe that should never interfere with their ability to pursue compensation for their injuries.
For that reason, we will never charge up-front legal fees. Additionally, you will never owe us a dime unless we successfully recover compensation on your behalf. With a contingency fee agreement, we only get paid if you get paid. Until we recover awards on your malpractice claim, we do not collect our fee.
We also believe in transparency throughout the process. We are upfront about our contingency rate, which is a percentage of any compensation we recover on your behalf. This transparency ensures that you will never receive a surprise bill for our legal services.
Click to contact our Areas We Serve today
Your Medical Error Injuries Could Result in a Monetary Award
The consequences of a medical error can be far-reaching. They can lead to physical or emotional issues that can alter your life forever. Simple tasks that were part of your day-to-day routine could be virtually impossible to do on your own. The good news is that a successful injury claim could help you transition into this new phase of your life.
If you are ready to pursue a claim for monetary compensation following a medical error, there is no time for delay. The process of filing a malpractice lawsuit complex. The sooner you contact an attorney, the faster we can help you with your case.
An Indianapolis medical malpractice lawyer could review the facts of your case and advise you on what to expect. To get started with the claims process, call (800)-641-8998 to schedule a free consultation with Ben Crump Law, PLLC today.
Call or text 800-959-1444 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form