When accidents involve cyclists, the injuries are typically traumatic, involving severe concussions, broken bones, and sometimes death. Impatient drivers often overlook cyclists or see them as a nuisance. Additionally, with the overwhelming number of distracted drivers, being involved in an accident with a motorist is more common than it should be.
A New Orleans bicycle accident lawyer is here for you if you are suffering from injuries or have lost a loved one because of a negligent driver on the road.
Contact Ben Crump Law, PLLC, today at (800) 761-5225 for a free case evaluation. We will treat you fairly and make sure to protect your rights. Our dedicated lawyers make sure our clients get the most from their lawsuits, and you will only pay for our services if we win your case.
Rules of the Road for New Orleans Cyclists
Louisiana established the Colin Goodier Protection Act to remind drivers that cyclists are part of the road and deserve the same respect as any other driver. It states that drivers are legally supposed to give the cyclist at least three feet of space when passing. This helps prevent the cyclist from being struck, and if the driver fails to do so, they may face a $250 fine. However, with the rise of distracted drivers on their cellphones and other electronic devices, there is an urgency to bring more awareness to these needs.
Other common reasons for bicycle accidents include:
- Unkempt roadways or bike paths: If a path or road has potholes, debris, or other obstructions, this can cause a person to veer further into the lane of traffic or even cause the cyclist to wreck.
- Drunk drivers: Driving under the influence of alcohol impairs judgment and vision. A driver may not be able to calculate distance correctly, and it is a criminal offense.
- Aggressive driving: This is also a crime. Drivers or taxis can become impatient and take their anger out on cyclists, causing accidents. Cyclists are extra vulnerable and do not stand a chance against the weight of a vehicle. Louisiana Revised Statute (RS) § 32-201 also protects cyclists against harassment, taunting, or malicious acts from a driver and comes with a fine if they do so.
Motor vehicle accidents involving a bicycle are incredibly dangerous and often involve grave injury to the cyclist. Common injuries one may suffer from in these situations include:
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injury
- Broken collar bones
- Other broken bones
Most of these injuries take extensive therapy and a lot of time to heal. They are life-changing, and if you were not the one responsible, you should not have to pay for the other party’s negligence.
For a free legal consultation with a bicycle accidents lawyer serving New Orleans, call (800) 761-5225
Let Our New Orleans Bicycle Accident Lawyer Assist You
When you enlist Ben Crump Law, PLLC, you are getting a team that is ready to advocate on your behalf. We can establish a strong foundation of evidence to make sure you are getting the compensation you deserve.
You can leave negotiating terms with insurance companies to a professional. Insurance adjusters may offer lower numbers than expected—this is common. We are here to represent you in these cases. We also suggest not making any statements to them as they can use your words against you. We want to make sure that does not happen either.
Our bicycle accident lawyers are here when you are ready to file. We understand the value of your case personally and financially. We know you will need time and space to heal, but time is not on your side. Contact us today, and let us look over your case for free.
New Orleans Bicycle Accident Lawyer Near Me (800) 761-5225
Awards You May Receive in a Bicycle Accident in New Orleans
There are two ways to get financial compensation for your losses:
- Filing a claim with an insurance company
- Filing a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit
Prior to these actions, you want to prove that the other party is negligent. This means that they breached the duty of care to be responsible in their actions, and that breach of care is what caused the accident, causing your injuries.
Once you have established this, you can file for compensation for damages. When you file for payment, it is smart to build your evidence. Make sure that you have some of the following to help your case:
- Photos of the accident
- Police reports
- Security footage
- Witness testimony
Any evidence you can gather will help your case.
Time Limit to File
Be aware that you have one year from the accident or time of death to file the lawsuit for any personal injury or wrongful death claim. This is also known as a statute of limitations.
Once you have gone through the processes of proving negligence and filing your claim, you may be eligible for the following:
- Economic damages: Medical bills, therapy, property damage, loss of wages, and any monetary loss associated with the accident.
- Non-economic damages: Loss of companionship, pain and suffering, loss of a limb or organ, services needed to assist in recovery such as housekeeping, and loss of help from a family member who may have died.
Hire a New Orleans Bicycle Accident Lawyer Today
Do not let your circumstance intimidate you. Our bicycle accident lawyers are here to help you through these trying times. Losing the ability to do your normal daily activities is never easy, and neither is losing a loved one. We want to relieve you of the burden of dealing with a lawsuit on top of your injuries.
Call Ben Crump Law, PLLC, today at (800) 761-5225 for a free consultation. We are here when you are ready, and we do not shy away from a tough case.