When you use public transit in San Diego and the surrounding Southern California metro areas, it is a reasonable expectation to get to your destination safely. Unfortunately, this does not always happen due to other drivers’ negligence, the bus driver themselves, malfunctioning parts, and more. A bus accident can be a harrowing experience. If you are a victim of this type of accident, you could be entitled to recover financial awards.
At Ben Crump Law, PLLC, we work to get our clients the award they deserve after being involved in an accident. Contact us at (800) 921-7227 to begin a free consultation with one of our representatives. We will discuss your accident during the consultation and give you information about how working with a San Diego bus accident lawyer might help your case.
Who Could Be Held Liable in a Bus Accident
Several factors could be involved when determining the cause of a bus accident. If you move forward with hiring an attorney, they will carefully examine the accident to determine any liable parties, which could include:
- Another driver: If the other driver caused the accident and is at fault, they can be liable for your medical bills and other damages.
- Bus driver: The bus driver themselves could be negligent. They could have been driving while fatigued, texting and driving, using drugs, and more when the accident occurred.
- Bus company: The company is responsible for its drivers. If they did not train them properly, they could be financially responsible for what happened to you.
- Manufacturer: The bus may have a defect or malfunction. In that case, the bus manufacturer might be liable.
- Mechanic: If a mechanic repaired the bus, but did not fix it correctly, leading to an accident, then they could be held liable as well.
- Local government: The failure to maintain local roads is the local government’s responsibility. If a road accident, such as a large pothole, caused your accident, you might be able to hold the government liable.
For a free legal consultation with a bus accidents lawyer serving San Diego, call 800-921-7227
How Working with a Lawyer Could Help
After a bus accident, you may have severe injuries that require a long recovery period. This will take a lot out of you, and you will more than likely need all the help you can get. Having someone with legal knowledge on your team could benefit you. An attorney can also file your lawsuit before the California statute of limitations of two years expires, per California Code of Civil Procedure (CCP) § 335.1.
Your San Diego bus accident lawyer will first collect the evidence they need for your case. This could include camera footage from the bus itself, witness statements, toxicology test reports, police reports, medical records, and much more. This evidence will help prove your case and negotiate with all involved parties.
Because your bus accident might involve multiple parties, this part can get tricky. Without a lawyer, you may not know what to do if a legal loophole arises or someone throws a curveball at you.
Once an attorney has compiled all the evidence, they can begin talking to insurance companies to get you the best settlement possible. This should be a stress relief for you, as insurance companies are notoriously difficult to work with and will often try to give you an exceptionally low offer. They want to give you as little money as possible, but your lawyer will try to get you much more so that you can cover your accident-related bills and costs.
Ben Crump Law, PLLC, is ready to represent you in your bus accident case. If you are interested in exploring your legal options, give us a call today to set up a free consultation with a team member. We can learn more about your accident and how we might be able to help.
San Diego Bus Accident Lawyer Near Me 800-921-7227
Types of Compensation That Might Be Available
When you and your lawyer sit down to discuss your case, they may advise you of certain types of compensation you can pursue. Remember, your lawyer wants you to get the largest award possible, too. They will help you plan out what to add, which could be any of the following, depending on your case:
- Wrongful death: Sometimes, bus accidents cause fatal wounds, and you may lose a loved one as a result. We know that no amount of compensation can ever make up for their loss, but you and your family may need financial recovery for various reasons. You could claim funeral and burial costs, losing their companionship, and lost income if your loved one provided for the household.
- Loss of income: After a bus accident, you will need time to recuperate, which means you will be at home or in the hospital—not at work. You could lose out on salary, wages, and benefits. While you might be able to take leave under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), some businesses may not adhere to those terms and could end up giving your job to someone else. You should be compensated for these types of losses.
- Medical costs: Hospital stays, physical therapy, medicines, and more will take a financial toll on you. Instead of ending up in medical debt, add these costs to your claim or lawsuit to try and get compensated for them.
- Pain and suffering: There is no cap on these noneconomic damages in California unless it is a medical malpractice case. You can claim an amount that you feel is equal to the emotional and mental trauma you suffered because of the bus accident. An attorney can help you calculate this financial award accurately.
Click to contact our San Diego Personal Injury Lawyers today
If You Have Been in a Bus Accident in San Diego, Call Us Today
For many years, the Ben Crump Law, PLLC, team has worked to get personal injury victims the financial awards they deserve. If you are recovering from a bus accident in San Diego or a nearby California city, we might be able to help you, too.
Contact us today at (800) 921-7227 to start a free consultation with a team member so that we can start going over your case with you. During the call, we will review the details of your accident in a compassionate, caring manner.
We can help you determine whether working with a San Diego bus accident lawyer is right for you. We do not back down from tough cases, and we will fight hard for you if you choose us to represent you. Call now.
Call or text 800-921-7227 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form