Cruising your motorcycle around the scenic streets of San Diego can be a great time, but driving a motorcycle also comes with risk. You must always maintain hypervigilance because many drivers could negligently operate their vehicles and not notice you on the street. If you end up becoming the victim of a motorcycle accident, you could recover damages for what happened to you.
The team at Ben Crump Law, PLLC, has helped victims of accidents recover millions of dollars, and they could help you get the compensation you deserve for your injuries if you choose to work with a San Diego motorcycle accident lawyer. Contact us today at (800) 924-3113 for a free consultation with one of our representatives.
What May Cause a Motorcycle Accident
When other drivers do not follow the rules of the road, it can make it harder for them to see you on your motorcycle. Types of negligent driving behaviors that could cause a motorcycle accident include:
- Speeding: A car traveling at a high rate of speed won’t have the ability to stop as quickly, leaving you more at risk of a collision.
- Using a cell phone: If a driver looks at their phone instead of the road, they may not notice you on your motorcycle and end up hitting you.
- Distracted driving: Drivers might adjust the radio, take a sip of coffee, or do something else that takes their focus off the road.
- Reckless driving: Changing lanes with no notice, driving too fast on wet roads, and other forms of reckless driving might lead to an accident.
- Driving under the influence: Drugs or alcohol can impede a driver’s reaction time, meaning they could not stop in time when they see your motorcycle.
Depending on the severity of the accident, you may suffer from extensive injuries since a motorcycle does not provide the same protection level as a vehicle. Sadly, you might even lose a loved one because of an accident. These injuries will likely come with high medical bills for which you deserve compensation.
For a free legal consultation with a motorcycle accidents lawyer serving San Diego, call (800) 924-3113
Reasons to Hire an Attorney
After a motorcycle accident, you will have many things to figure out, whether it is with your insurance company, your doctor, or trying to coordinate with your job about the time you miss while recovering. These obstacles are a lot for anyone to handle, especially as you or a loved one deal with injuries and recovery.
Calling an insurance company and haggling with it over the money it owes you can cause immense stress at a time you need to minimize your anxiety as much as possible. The insurance company will likely make you a lowball offer, which is not okay when you face many financial obligations from medical and repair bills while missing time at work. Hiring a San Diego motorcycle accident lawyer might benefit you, as they will take on all aspects of your case, including:
- Negotiations with insurance adjusters: An attorney can speak with the other driver’s insurance company to negotiate the best settlement possible for you, so you have the funds to cover all the damages from the collision. Without a lawyer, that insurance company could easily take advantage of you by lowballing you.
- Gathering evidence: To best prove your claim, you will need evidence to back up your account of what happened. This proof may include photos of the accident, witness statements, police reports, medical records, and more. Your attorney will gather all this documentation for you.
- Filing your claim on time: Code of Civil Procedure (CCP) § 335.1 sets a two-year statute of limitations on all personal injury claims. You must file your claim before that statute expires.
San Diego Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Near Me (800) 924-3113
Proving Negligence in California
California follows comparative negligence as outlined in Civil Code (CIV) § 1714, meaning anyone the court assigns blame for the accident can seek compensation. However, the court will reduce any award you receive proportionately to whatever amount of fault you had for the wreck. A lawyer will use the available evidence to rebut any responsibility assigned to you so that you can recover the most compensation possible.
The Types of Compensation You Could Recover
When you have a motorcycle accident-related claim, you can try to recover certain types of compensation so that you are not stuck with many financial obligations. These may include:
- Lost income: You will likely miss time at work to recover or help your loved one heal from a motorcycle accident. You might burn through your PTO and then miss out on wages entirely, which you deserve to get back from the other driver’s insurance company.
- Cost of medical treatment: Medical expenses add up rapidly, especially if you must have surgery or stay at the hospital for several days. You may also need extensive therapy or rehabilitation, and that means more medical bills. Add all this to your claim.
- Personal property damage: Your motorcycle likely sustained significant damage in the crash. It might even be a total loss. That is a lot of money that you need to recover for the worth of your motorcycle.
- Pain and suffering: Also called non-economic damages, pain and suffering claims compensate you for mental and emotional trauma caused by the collision.
- Wrongful death: Unfortunately, losing a loved one in a motorcycle crash could happen. In this case, you deserve to receive compensation for unexpected funeral costs, loss of their income, and more.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Call Us Today After Your Motorcycle Accident in San Diego
If you or a loved one were in a motorcycle accident in San Diego, you could recover an award for the collision and any lasting effects. Contact the team at Ben Crump Law, PLLC, today to learn more in a free consultation. Our representatives will discuss your case with you and tell you what to expect should you hire a San Diego motorcycle accident lawyer.
Call us 24/7 at (800) 924-3113 to start your consultation. Contact us today to work on beginning the process of getting you the justice and compensation you deserve.