Washington DC is a huge metropolitan city, and as a result, the use of ridesharing as a form of immediate transportation continues to gain popularity. Lyft, Uber, and other ridesharing companies are a way for anyone to receive a quick mode of transportation with relatively little expense throughout Washington DC. However, these ridesharing vehicles are not immune to the risk of accidents on the roadways.
While the actual number of ridesharing accidents remains elusive to discover (as most ridesharing companies remain unwilling to disclose those private numbers), the truth is that accidents involving ridesharing vehicles are just as common as accidents involving other vehicles on the highways and roadways of Washington DC. If you suffered injuries as a result of a ridesharing accident, learn how a Washington DC ridesharing accident lawyer at Ben Crump Law, PLLC at 800-959-1444 can help you learn more about how you can protect your legal rights and receive compensation for your injuries.
Ridesharing has actually decreased the number of drunk driving accidents, as intoxicated persons contact a ridesharing service instead of driving on their own. According to the Becker Friedman Institute for Economics at the University of Chicago, while drunk driving decreased overall due to ridesharing, their statistics show that traffic-related fatalities actually rose 3% as a result of more traffic on the roadways due to ridesharing vehicles.
For a free legal consultation with a ridesharing accidents lawyer serving Washington DC, call 800-959-1444
Remaining Safe as a Ridesharing Passenger
While you have little control over whether or not a driver operates their vehicle in a negligent way, there are still ways you can protect yourself when riding in a ridesharing vehicle as a passenger. Consider the following suggestions:
- Wait inside while you wait for your ridesharing vehicle
- Check the credentials of your driver before you enter the vehicle
- Ride in the back seat. This is safer overall, and also prevents you from any harassment or harm from the driver. Additionally, it is always easier to exit a vehicle from the rear doors.
- Wear your seat belt.
- Tell your friends or family that you are taking a ridesharing vehicle and let them know of your whereabouts and when you plan to arrive at your destination.
- Never disclose personal details or private information to the driver.
- Never forget to follow your own instincts. If you feel something is wrong about the ridesharing driver or something feels “off,” do not hesitate to cancel a ridesharing request.
Washington DC Ridesharing Accident Lawyer Near Me 800-959-1444
You have just as much risk of involvement in a car accident with a ridesharing vehicle as any other vehicle. The same types of accidents occur, as well as the same types of injuries. If you suffered any injuries as a passenger in a ridesharing accident, you should make sure to always do the following:
- Obtain all the contact information of the driver, including their ridesharing vehicle number
- Obtain the contact information of all other witnesses involved
- Make sure to contact the police and request a copy of the police report
- Seek immediate medical attention regarding any injuries suffered. Additionally, it is important to note that if you have not yet visited a medical professional to receive a full medical evaluation, you should do so as soon as possible. Many injuries that are very serious do not show symptoms for hours or days. If you believe you want to file a claim against a ridesharing company for your injuries due to the driver’s negligence, you will need to have a full medical evaluation as a foundation for your claim. Also, it is critical that if you feel your injuries worsen, or you develop any new symptoms, you return to your healthcare provider to ensure your health remains protected.
- Determine if the ridesharing driver has insurance coverage associated with their work (Uber, Lyft, etc.) or through their own personal car insurance policy
- Document everything related to the accident in the following days, weeks, and months including all medical bills, doctor visits, lost wages, property damage, and pain and suffering.
Click to contact our Washington DC Car Accident Lawyers today
Types of Injuries Suffered from Ridesharing Accidents
Accidents involving ride-sharing vehicles result in similar types of injuries for victims. Depending on the facts and circumstances of your ridesharing accident, injuries suffered include traumatic brain injuries, broken bones, aortic dissection from seat belts, whiplash, spinal cord injuries, internal bleeding, and death.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Receiving Compensation for Your Ridesharing Injuries
In order to receive compensation for your physical or psychological injuries, lost wages, property damage, and pain and suffering, you must file a claim against the insurance company of the driver, or the insurance company of the ridesharing entity. Different rideshare companies handle car insurance for their drivers in different ways. Certain ridesharing companies, such as Uber, will have their own insurance policy available for use for their drivers.
Other companies, such as Lyft, require drivers to obtain their own personal car insurance coverage. In some circumstances, an insurance company will not cover ridesharing drivers while they operate their vehicle for ridesharing purposes. Therefore, it is critical that you determine what insurance company will have the responsibility to pay for your injuries and losses. Attempting to navigate who has legal liability can prove frustrating and challenging. Learn how a Washington DC ridesharing accident lawyer at Ben Crump Law, PLLC can help you determine what insurance company has the legal obligation to pay for your injuries and losses resulting from a ridesharing accident. Call today for a free consultation.
Washington, DC Statute of Limitations on Car Accidents
Calling for an Uber or a Lyft is a convenient way to get around Washington, DC. But if you suffered injuries as a result of a ridesharing accident you may be eligible for damages. The deadline to file a personal injury lawsuit in DC is three years from the date of the accident, per the statute of limitations under Code §12-301. If that window closes before you have had a chance to file your lawsuit your chance for compensation may be dismissed.
Contact a team member at Ben Crump Law, PLLC at 800-959-1444 to discuss the details of your case. We do not shy away from the tough cases and if you have been injured in a ridesharing accident with Uber or Lyft, we will protect your right to compensation and justice.
A Washington DC Ridesharing Accident Lawyer Can Help You
If you suffered injuries as a passenger in a ridesharing accident, you may face astronomical medical bills, pain and suffering, and lost wages due to your inability to return to work. Learn how a Washington DC ridesharing accident lawyer at Ben Crump Law, PLLC at 800-959-1444 can help. We can determine what insurance company remains liable to compensate you for your injuries and losses, and ensure your legal rights remain protected.
Call or text 800-959-1444 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form