If you suffered an injury in a truck accident in Washington DC, those who are responsible—and their insurance companies—should provide you with compensation, according to Sec. 31-2404 of the District of Columbia Statutes. At Ben Crump Law, PLLC, our attorneys do not shy away from tough cases. We are prepared to take on insurance companies to help you get fair compensation. You do not pay us anything upfront; we only get paid if you get paid.
Call our office today at 800-630-9229 for a free, no-obligation evaluation of your case with a member of our team.
Truck Accidents Are Becoming More Common
Commercial trucks clog the nation’s roadways, and truck accidents are on the rise. In 2017, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) reported a 9 percent increase in fatal truck accidents from the previous year. That same year, FMCSA reports, a total of 344,000 people reported injuries from the track crashes.
If you have been involved in a truck accident, your focus should be on healing from the effects of your injuries. It can be stressful to figure out what your next steps should be. Our team can help provide you with a plan for financial recovery from the responsible parties. According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), different types of trucks have different levels of insurance they are required to have. Depending on the circumstances surrounding your collision, more than one party might be held accountable for the accident. These may include any of the following:
- The truck driver
- The company for whom the truck driver worked
- The truck manufacturer
- The laborers who loaded the cargo onto the truck
- The government agencies that were responsible for road maintenance
Determining responsibility for a truck accident can be a complex procedure. Calling Ben Crump Law, PLLC to speak with a member of our staff today can help you figure out what steps you need to take to fight for a fair settlement.
For a free legal consultation with a truck accidents lawyer serving Washington DC, call 800-630-9229
How Truck Accidents Can Happen
When they happen, truck accidents can be catastrophic. When the accident involves a passenger car versus a big rig, those in the automobile are vulnerable to serious injury and even death.
Driving an 18-wheeler involves extensive training and special licensing. Accident investigations often reveal that the truck driver was engaging in some type of negligent behavior, such as speeding or distracted driving. Because it takes longer for heavy trucks to stop because of their weight, drivers who are not paying attention even for a few seconds can be disastrous.
Other common truck driver errors that can result in accidents include the following:
- Impaired driving
- Lack of experience
- Poor judgment
- Failure to obey traffic rules
Loading or Cargo Errors
Rushing to meet deadlines or having workers who do not understand the principles of safe cargo loading can cause a truck to be on the road with a load that is not secure. A truck might take a quick turn or a sudden stop, causing the weight in the trailer to shift. This can be significant enough to cause the driver to lose control of the vehicle.
If trucking companies fail to follow federal regulations on inspection and maintenance of their vehicles, this can lead to unsafe trucks on the road. Trucking companies might also be considered liable if they encourage drivers to break the law by driving longer than the law allows or if they fail to properly train their drivers.
Manufacturer Errors and Design Defects
A truck that has a defective part can be involved in a serious accident, and the manufacturer of the part could be held liable. The types of defects that may play a role in a truck accident include the following:
- Steering problems
- Tire defects
- Powertrain failures
- Suspension problems
- Brake issues
Washington DC Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me 800-630-9229
How to Help Prove Your Claim
Gathering evidence is crucial to prove your claim that someone else’s negligence caused the accident that left you injured. A truck accident attorney can help you get the items you need to help illustrate precisely what happened and why you should get compensation.
The evidence will likely include the following:
- Eyewitness accounts of the accident
- Photographs and video of the events leading up to the accident or documentation of the accident scene
- Documentation of the vehicle damages
- Police reports
- Your relevant medical records
- Information on the truck driver, including background checks and work logs
- Maintenance records on the truck
Your truck accident lawyer can help you to prove your claim, but there are also some things you should do to help. These include:
- Call the police to the scene of your accident as soon as possible. The police reports will be invaluable in determining what happened. Be cooperative with them but do not admit any fault for the accident.
- Get medical treatment as soon as possible after the accident. Be sure to follow any doctor’s orders for treatment. If you do not, the opposing side may try to argue that your injuries are not as serious as you are making them out to be and so do not deserve any compensation for them.
- Keep all paperwork related to the accident, including medical records. Take a picture of your injuries.
- If you are able to take pictures or a video after the accident, do so. Do not repair or alter your damaged vehicle until after speaking with your attorney.
- Get contact information for any eyewitnesses so your attorney can follow up with them later.
Compensation for Your Truck Accident Injury
If you have injuries from a truck accident, you may be able to recover damages for the following:
- Medical expenses and treatment
- Lost wages, including future wages if you cannot return to work
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Wrongful death if you lost a loved one in the crash
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Truck Accident Case Evaluation
Let us help you get your life back on track after an injury in a dangerous wreck. Call a Washington DC truck accident lawyer from Ben Crump, PLLC. If you are uncertain about how best to proceed after a truck accident, we offer no-hassle, free consultations. To find out more about the legal options available to you, call us today at 800-630-9229. We may be able to help you receive compensation after your accident.