Whether you are running an errand or meeting up with family or friends, every time you enter a public space, you are putting your safety in the hands of others. Property owners, business owners, and others must provide adequate security for patrons and visitors. When security is breached, the results can be catastrophic.
Assault, injuries, loss of property, and even death can occur if an area is not secure. If you or a loved one suffered due to the negligence or failure of a third party to provide security, you could be eligible for financial compensation. Ben Crump Law, PLLC might be able to help with the legal process. Call 800-896-1221 today to discuss your case with a Washington, DC negligent security lawyer.
You might be able to recover compensation for losses, including:
- Medical bills for injuries from the breach
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Past and future lost wages
Causes of Security Breaches
A security breach can include unauthorized individuals gaining access to a prohibited area, or an individual engaging in illegal activity in a public space. A breach can also occur without a serious or dangerous event taking place. Security breaches can happen for several reasons:
- Improperly trained security staff or guards
- Security staff failing to pick up on warning signs, or suspicious behavior
- Failure of a facility to provide security cameras
- Security cameras installed in a manner that does not cover entrances, exits, or allows for unrecorded areas
- Failure of a facility to provide a sufficient amount of emergency exits
- Faulty doors, locks, windows, fences, and other physical boundaries that can grant access to unauthorized individuals
- Guards or staff leaving a post without coverage, or failing to pay attention to live cameras and access points
- Staff falling asleep while covering a security checkpoint
- Failure to properly engage an electronic security system
- Improperly functioning security system
- Improperly matched security personnel for a particular event or space; for example, dispatching only a few guards for a public event with hundreds of attendees
Nothing is more important than your health and safety. When you are at an event or in a public space, you should not have to worry about your safety and the well-being of your loved ones. If a breach of security has caused you an injury, property loss, or any other form of suffering, negligence could have been a factor.
For a free legal consultation with a negligent security lawyer serving Washington DC, call 800-896-1221
Dangers of Negligent Security
Parking garages, shopping malls, stores, restaurants, sporting events, party or concert venues, residential complexes, public transportation stops or platforms, buses, trains, and airports are among the many public areas where proper security should be provided.
If a responsible party fails to provide adequate security, several dangerous events can occur:
- Theft of personal belongings
- Physical and verbal assault, fights, and other violent altercations
- Crimes of a sexual nature
- Criminal activity such as drug dealing and the exchange of illicit or illegal materials
These are a few of the many examples of what can go wrong if security is negligent. Negligent security can lead to injuries requiring expensive and ongoing medical care. You can also experience property loss due to negligent security.
In some cases, victims of crimes in public spaces suffer from emotional trauma that can develop into long-term disorders. If you were the victim of an incident due to negligent security, you could be able to collect compensation for losses incurred as the result of a third party failing to keep you and your loved ones safe. To learn more about potentially recoverable compensation, call Ben Crump Law, PLLC.
Washington DC Negligent Security Lawyer Near Me 800-896-1221
For a case regarding negligent security to be valid, an act of negligence needs to be proven. Negligence is the failure to adequately execute a task or responsibility. Negligence can be intentional or unintentional. In the case of security, negligence is the failure to keep a place, person, or group of people safe.
An example of negligence would be a security guard failing to pay attention, allowing unwanted perpetrators onto the premises. While some forms of negligence are innocent, the results can be devastating. Security breaches can lead to injury, property loss, and even death. If you or someone you love was the victim of security negligence, you might be able to take legal action to pursue justice.
If you are considering filing a legal claim against the responsible party, determining liability will ultimately play a role in whether or not you can recover compensation. Even if a third party was partially at fault, your claim could be valid. Discussing the details of your situation with a Washington, DC negligent security lawyer could be beneficial as you move forward.
Click to contact our Washington DC Personal Injury Lawyers today
Getting Legal Help
Victims of cases involving negligent security can be eligible for financial compensation. Depending on the situation, this can include reimbursement for lost or damaged property, medical expenses, and more. Speaking with a law firm in cases like yours can help you decide whether or not legal action is appropriate. A Washington, DC negligent security lawyer might be able to help.
Ben Crump Law, PLLC is available to discuss your case. Call 800-896-1221 to schedule a free consultation and learn more about what you can do next. The Code of the District of Columbia statute 12-301 sets a statute of limitations of three years for personal injury cases, so acting in a timely manner could be beneficial. Get help now, so you can put this difficult time behind you and focus on your return to everyday life.
Call or text 800-896-1221 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form