Riding a motorcycle is one of the best ways to feel fully in control of how you get from one place to another. Learning to master motorcycle riding means gaining confidence to ride alongside larger vehicles on busy Baltimore roads. However, even the most proactive riders about motorcycle safety cannot completely protect themselves from the harm an accident can bring. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), motorcycles make up a larger portion of fatal accident crashes than other vehicle crash types. Contact a Baltimore motorcycle accident lawyer for individualized legal representation after a motorcycle crash. You can protect and defend your rights when seeking compensation for property damage, injury costs, and more. Call Ben Crump Law, PLLC at (800) 924-3113.
About Maryland Motorcycle Laws
The impact of motorcycle accidents is felt heavily, with fatalities, significant injuries, and other losses occurring every year. In Maryland, motorcycle riders are subject to the same driving laws as passenger vehicles with additional rules and regulations. While motorcyclists are allowed to ride two abreast, behavior such as lane splitting is not permitted, according to the transportation articles of the Maryland Statutes §21-1303. Good visibility is also a must for motorcycle riders in Maryland, along with required protective headgear, eye protection, or an installed windscreen, per Maryland Statutes §21-1306.
Motorcycle Insurance Requirements
Motorcycle riders must possess a motorcycle license plus the typical minimum insurance policies with liability limits. According to the Maryland Insurance Administration, the requirements are as follows:
- $30,000 per person
- $60,000 per occurrence of bodily injury
- $15,000 property damage coverage
Just like other drivers on the road, motorcycle riders can choose to increase insurance policy limits, especially for busy driving areas like Baltimore and the Washington D.C. Metropolitan area. Maryland is an at-fault state for vehicle crashes, so accident victims have the right to seek compensation from the liable party’s insurance policy.
It is possible to handle this type of case alone, but a lawyer can help articulate your recovery needs. When you work with a Baltimore motorcycle accident lawyer, understanding the full extent of your injuries and compensation needs can be much easier to articulate.
For a free legal consultation with a motorcycle accidents lawyer serving Baltimore, call (800) 924-3113
Motorcycle Accident Recovery Lawsuits
After a motorcycle accident, your most painful recovery days can intersect with the crucial days of the litigation process. You can work with a lawyer to target the most difficult issues in your case so you can focus on making a full recovery. Working with a lawyer cannot undo the losses of your accident, but it can help with seeking fair compensation to repair some of what you lost.
In a motorcycle accident lawsuit, you will most likely need to build a lawsuit seeking compensation for the negligent behavior of the liable driver. Negligence cases require a few essential elements. You must be able to prove the following:
- The liable driver had a duty of care for your safety on the road.
- The liable driver breached the duty of care by exhibiting negligent driving behavior.
- The liable driver’s negligent behavior caused you to be involved in an accident.
- The accident, caused by the liable driver, caused your injuries and losses.
A lawyer can help you prepare the formal documents needed to proceed with a lawsuit. Generally, they will use your perspective and combine it with crucial evidence like witnesses, the police report, expert testimony, and more to interpret your needs. Knowing the exact dollar amount required for your full recovery can bring clarity to your legal case that can be difficult to reach alone. A lawyer will also work to represent your needs based on the rights and protections you have as an accident victim. This often means negotiating directly with the insurance company’s representatives who have a financial interest in unfairly denying your claims after an accident.
Baltimore Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Near Me (800) 924-3113
Motorcycle Accident Lawsuit Process
The amount of time it will take for your lawsuit to settle depends on different factors. A lawyer understands what is required to handle your lawsuit, allowing you the opportunity to heal from your injuries.
While certain insurance companies will offer you a fair settlement for your injuries, other insurers will require extensive investigations and negotiations. In either case, a lawyer can oversee your case through from start to finish, whether he settles it in or out of a courtroom.
Your work with an accident lawyer could involve the following steps:
- Initial complaints and advice: first, your lawyer will want to know specific details about your accident and give advice about your legal options.
- Pre-trial: depending on the circumstances of the case, the other party involved in your lawsuit could file different motions to impede, remove, or dismiss the case. Your lawyer could fight against a request for dismissal or removal, which works in the liable party’s favor.
- At this time, a judge can order negotiation between parties to avoid going to trial.
- If the case proceeds to a courtroom setting, the actual date of the trial could be months from when you initially need help recovering from the accident.
- Discovery: at the height of a courtroom trial, your lawyer will present your case before a judge and jury. This is when evidence like witness testimony and potentially a sworn oath testimony on your part could happen. However, most injured parties resolve motorcycle accident cases way before this could occur.
You may want representation on your motorcycle accident case to fight for fair compensation on your behalf. Even though no two cases are alike, you can work with the lawyers at Ben Crump Law, PLLC to determine your best legal recourse.
Call the offices of Ben Crump Law, PLLC at (800) 924-3113 to request more information about how a Baltimore motorcycle accident lawyer can help you recover.