Baltimore is an old American city, with the aging infrastructure to match. As a city with an extensive history and large investments in modern development, it is a prime location for a number of hazardous tripping conditions, with everything from cracked pavement to construction in walkways and walking surfaces that become slick with rain and snow, depending on what area of the city you are in.
Slip and fall injuries can be serious. In some slip and fall accidents, vulnerable people can suffer fatal injuries. A Baltimore slip and fall injury lawyer can represent you or a loved one in seeking compensation for slip and fall injuries. Call Ben Crump Law, PLLC to speak with a member of our team at (800) 647-3113.
Slip and Fall Accidents Are All Too Common
Slip and fall accidents can be particularly dangerous for people over the age of 65, but people of any age can experience a significant injury. In 2016, over 48,000 slip and fall injuries happened to people who were working on lower-level floors along with 697 fatalities, according to the National Safety Council (NSC). No two slip and fall accidents are alike, and everything from the initial injury to the follow-up care required can vary dramatically among individuals.
The National Council on Aging (NCOA) lists falling as the main cause of fatal and non-fatal injuries for the elderly in the United States, where millions are treated in emergency rooms for fall-related injuries per year.
While slip and fall accidents are common, this does not mean that victims should be left to pay for their injuries on their own. Our team wants to help you recover the compensation you need.
Common Injuries from Slip and Fall Accidents
Falls are a leading cause of trauma-related visits to emergency rooms. Injuries and treatment options will vary by individual, but often include the following:
- Broken bones or fractures in the hips, hands, legs, and ankles
- Joint and muscle problems
- Head injuries
- Emotional trauma
- More vulnerable to falls and injuries in the future
After a slip and fall accident, you should not face the financial, emotional, or physical burden of recovery alone. Let a Baltimore slip and fall injury lawyer handle the complicated litigation surrounding your case.
For a free legal consultation with a slip and fall injury lawyer serving Baltimore, call (800) 647-3113
Proving Negligence in a Slip and Fall Accident
Slip and fall accident cases typically involve proving negligence within the legal concept of premises liability law. Essentially, property owners are responsible for the well-being of all visitors.
Premises liability law does not typically work in favor of trespassers, who are not considered invitees. However, when people slip and fall on private property that is not protected from public access, there still could be some legal recourse for victims.
It can be easy to blame yourself after a slip and fall accident, but the burden should not be entirely on you, nor on any other accident victim. For example, wearing shoes that are difficult to walk in does not mean that one should expect to fall and be seriously injured.
Property owners are obligated to protect and consider the needs of the public, including people who are naturally at risk for slip and fall accidents. Signs of a negligent property owner can include the following:
- Lack of Property Upkeep: The maintenance cycle is perpetual for all property owners. It requires safe conditions for visitors. Poorly maintained property can result in dangerous tripping and slipping hazards.
- Lack of Accessibility Equipment: Handrails, signage, and poor lighting can significantly contribute to the cause of a fall.
- Wet Floors: Slick, wet walking areas both indoors and outdoors can create a slipping or tripping hazard. Without the right signage to caution walkers, a property owner could be held liable for slip and fall injuries.
- Lack of Barriers: While trespassers may not be covered by property negligence liability, a hazardous area of private property may not have the necessary markings to protect the area from trespassers.
The list above is not exhaustive of all potentially negligent behaviors of property owners. You can work with a Baltimore slip and fall injury lawyer to analyze the details of your particular case.
Recoverable Compensation in a Slip and Fall Case
What you might be able to recover after a slip and fall depends on the severity of your injuries and how long they might affect you. However, common damages include:
- Medical expenses, such as surgical costs, assistive devices, copays, hospital stays, prescription medications, ambulance fees, and emergency treatment
- Lost wages for any time your injuries kept you out of work
- Lost earning capacity, if your injuries required you to take a lesser paying job, work fewer hours, or retire from the workforce
- Any pain and suffering or mental anguish you endured
Once our team has investigated your accident, we can determine the damages to which you may be entitled and calculate a fair cash value.
Baltimore Slip and Fall Injury Lawyer Near Me (800) 647-3113
Contact Ben Crump Law, PLLC for Slip and Fall Help
When you suffer injuries due to the negligent behavior of others, you should not be stuck with the cost of recovery. Slip and fall accidents can have major financial, physical, and emotional recovery costs.
It is a good idea to contact a lawyer for advice on what you can do while recovering from a slip and fall accident. See how a Baltimore slip and fall injury lawyer at Ben Crump Law, PLLC can help with your case today. Call to ask for more information about legal representation with our team at (800) 647-3113.
Call or text (800) 647-3113 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form