When you become involved in a car wreck, it is incredibly stressful. If your accident involved a Pierce Transit or Tacoma Public Schools bus, whether you were another driver, pedestrian, or passenger, you could suffer severe injuries or experience other issues. A Tacoma bus accident lawyer can help you pursue a case for compensation for the resulting damages.
If you or a loved one has been in a bus accident, contact Ben Crump Law, PLLC, today to speak with one of our representatives. We can discuss your legal options and help you figure out a game plan for your case. Call us today at (800) 921-7227 for your free consultation with a team member.
Possible Liable Parties in a Bus Accident
When a bus accident happens, the ensuing investigation will determine who was at fault and caused the accident. Liability could involve third parties, such as the bus company or the manufacturer. The company may have neglected to maintain a proper maintenance schedule, or the manufacturer could have defectively built part of the bus.
Sometimes, the bus driver is the one at fault if they were distracted or tired at the time of the collision. In other instances, another driver might have failed to yield the right of way or drove recklessly to get around the bus, causing the accident.
For a free legal consultation with a bus accidents lawyer serving Tacoma, call (800) 921-7227
What You Should Do After a Bus Accident
If you can, contact 9-1-1 immediately after a bus accident. You and others involved might need medical attention. Even if you feel OK in the immediate aftermath, you could have hidden injuries (such as internal bleeding) that require medical attention. Having that information on record can benefit you with your case later. Try to collect any witness information that you can get and take photos of the scene, if possible.
If the bus company reaches out to you with a settlement offer, you might not want to accept it right away. They might try to lowball you to avoid legal action. Instead, you might want to consult a Tacoma bus accident lawyer to see what they think and if they believe you deserve more compensation. Call Ben Crump Law, PLLC, today to learn more.
Tacoma Bus Accident Lawyer Near Me (800) 921-7227
What Happens After You Contact an Attorney
If you reach out to an attorney, they can begin taking over everything involved with filing your case. Bus accident lawsuits can become more complicated when they involve third parties. Having a lawyer as your ally could provide immense benefits for you.
Once they have collected all the details that they need from you, they could begin handling everything so you can put all your energy into recovering from the accident. Here are just a few of the things that a personal injury lawyer can do.
- They will communicate with all involved insurance companies: Even your insurance company is generally not on your side. Haggling with them over every nickel and dime can become incredibly stressful. A bus accident attorney has dealt with insurance companies before, so they know what to do to ensure they cannot take advantage of you. Bus accidents can become expensive for insurance companies, so they will try to pay out as little as possible.
- Your attorney will compile all related evidence and documentation: You might need to provide incredible detail to prove you were not at fault. A lawyer can work on putting together everything you need for the case, including traffic camera footage, witness statements, police reports, your medical records, any dashcam footage from nearby vehicles, and more.
- The lawyer makes sure to file your case in time: Washington state has a statute of limitations for personal injury and wrongful death cases, regulating the amount of time to file the suit before time runs out and you cannot pursue compensation. The statute of limitations for both types of cases is three years, according to Revised Code of Washington (RCW) § 4.16.080.
- Your lawyer will handle proving negligence: To be able to file for damages, you must show that the other driver or third party negligently caused your injuries. In Washington, RCW § 4.22.015 establishes that we operate under contributory negligence. You can still recover an award even if a court finds you partially at fault for the accident. However, the award you receive will go down in proportion to the percentage of fault assigned to you.
Compensation You May Receive in Your Bus Accident Case
Bus accidents can cause severe injuries, and you should not have to deal with the accident’s financial costs if another party negligently caused it. As these costs mount, so does your stress, and a Tacoma bus accident lawyer can fight to have the at-fault party cover those costs. Types of compensation you may receive can include:
- Medical costs: You could recover medical expenses such as hospital bills, surgery costs, prescription medicines, and physical therapy.
- Property damage: If your car suffered damage in the accident, you could recover the costs of repairing or replacing it.
- Lost income: Missing time from work to recover from the accident can deal a swift financial blow, especially if you are one of the millions of Americans living paycheck to paycheck.
- Pain and suffering: This award covers the physical pain and emotional trauma that you have suffered because of the accident.
- Reduced earning potential: If the accident forces you into disability or retirement, or you cannot resume your previous job, you might receive this award.
- Wrongful death: If your loved one died because of a bus accident, you could recover funeral expenses, burial expenses, loss of companionship, and other awards.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Contact Us Today if You Are a Victim of a Tacoma Bus Accident
If you have been in a bus accident in Tacoma, contact Ben Crump Law, PLLC, today at (800) 921-7227 to begin your free consultation with a team member. We will help you determine your next steps and get you in touch with a Tacoma bus accident lawyer who can fight for the compensation you need.