Riding a bicycle through the scenic streets of Tacoma, Washington can be an enjoyable experience—until a driver who is not paying attention crashes into you, causing injury and damaging your bicycle. If you were the victim of a bicycle accident and suffered injuries as a result, you may be entitled to compensation.
A Tacoma bicycle accident lawyer can help you establish a case and fight for the compensation you deserve. The team at Ben Crump Law, PLLC is here to help you through this trying time. To learn more, contact us today at (800) 761-5225 for a free consultation.
How Bike Accidents Occur
Bicycle accidents are often caused by the same thing that causes car collisions—negligent drivers. If a driver is not paying proper attention, they may end up crashing into anyone or anything on the road, including cyclists.
Common causes of bike accidents include:
- Texting and driving: Holding a cell phone while driving is against the law in Washington, according to the Washington Traffic Safety Commission (WTSC). Even with hands-free technology available, many drivers still pick up the phone while operating their vehicle and take their eyes off the road.
- Driving under the influence (DUI): Consuming alcohol and other drugs before operating a vehicle slows down a driver’s reflexes, making them more likely to hit a bicyclist or others.
- Reckless driving: Speeding or changing lanes abruptly are forms of reckless driving that can make it more difficult for a driver to notice someone on a bicycle.
- Distracted driving: Drivers can be distracted for many reasons, from texting to eating to switching stations on the radio. If the driver’s eyes are not on the road, they are less likely to see you on your bike.
- Poor weather conditions: Rain, icy roads, or foggy mornings can make driving conditions more hazardous.
- Failure to yield: If a driver fails to stop at a red light or stop sign or drives through a crosswalk while you are using it, they may end up hitting you.
For a free legal consultation with a bicycle accidents lawyer, call (844) 638-1822
What to Do After a Bike Accident
After a bike accident, you may suffer serious injuries. Make sure that you do not apologize or say anything that could be construed as admitting fault, as the other driver and their insurance company could use your words against you. If needed, call for emergency medical assistance immediately. Even if you can walk away from the accident, you should still see a doctor so they can examine you and document any injuries you have. This information will be necessary if you choose to file a personal injury claim.
As soon as you are able, consider reaching out to a Tacoma bicycle accident lawyer who can review your case. Ideally, you should be able to focus on your recovery, not on dealing with difficult insurance companies. Contact Ben Crump Law, PLLC today to learn how we can take this burden off your shoulders and help protect your rights.
Bicycle Accident Lawyer Near Me (844) 638-1822
How a Tacoma Bike Accident Lawyer May Benefit You
When you contact us for your first consultation, our legal team will talk through the details of your accident with you and give you advice on how to proceed. The benefits of hiring a Tacoma bike accident lawyer include:
- You will not have to communicate with insurance anymore. After you hire a lawyer, they can handle all communications with the insurance companies and negotiate on your behalf for the best possible outcome.
- You do not need to compile all the evidence. Your lawyer can put together everything that is needed for your case, including medical records, traffic camera footage, witness statements, and other types of evidence.
- You do not have to worry about proving the case on your own. Having a lawyer on your side means they can handle all the legal jargon and anticipate any loopholes the other side may try to use to their advantage.
- You will not have to file anything. Do not worry about trying to navigate the Washington court system. Your lawyer can file your claim for you within the three-year statute of limitations set by Revised Code of Washington Chapter 4.16.
Once you can prove the negligence of the driver who hit you, you may be able to seek certain types of compensation for your bike accident, such as:
- Medical bills: If you were hit by a car while you were on your bike, you may have severe injuries that require extensive treatment. These medical bills should not be your worry. You may be able to recover costs for hospital stays, surgeries, medications, physical therapy, rehabilitation, and more.
- Property damage: If your bicycle was damaged in the accident, you may recover repair or replacement costs.
- Lost wages: If you had to miss work to recover from the accident, you probably lost pay as a result. If your injuries prevent you from returning to work at all, you may be able to recover future earning potential as well.
- Pain and suffering: This includes any mental or emotional trauma caused by the accident.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Contact Ben Crump Law, PLLC Today
If you were injured in a bicycle accident that was caused by a negligent driver, we are here for you. Our team of Tacoma bicycle accident lawyers is ready to help you move forward with your claim, so you can get your life back in order. Contact Ben Crump Law, PLLC today at (800) 761-5225 for a free case review.