Being in an accident with a large commercial truck in Tacoma can be very traumatic. These larger trucks have a harder time stopping quickly, and if the driver is negligent in any way or the truck has a defect, they could end up slamming into your car or your loved one’s vehicle.
If you suffered injuries in a truck accident, the legal team at Ben Crump Law, PLLC, might be able to help. Contact us today at (800) 630-9229 to begin your free initial consultation so we can connect you with a Tacoma truck accident lawyer.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents in Tacoma
Sometimes, the negligence of a smaller car’s driver recklessly driving to get around the truck cause accidents with large trucks. In other instances, the cause of the accident is the negligence of the truck driver or a third party. These causes include:
- Driver error
- Driving while intoxicated (DUI)
- Fatigued driving
- Malfunctioning parts
These causes can all contribute to an accident with a large truck on the road. If the truck company does not properly maintain a vehicle, it could be harder to brake on time and avoid a collision, which could involve a third party in your case. Drivers also could get tired while on the road all the time and could take a stimulant to keep them awake; when that stimulant wears off, they could easily fall asleep at the wheel.
For a free legal consultation with a truck accidents lawyer serving Tacoma, call (800) 630-9229
Types of Large Trucks That Can Cause Accidents
Various large commercial trucks share the road with smaller motor vehicles. If a driver fails to exercise proper care behind the wheel or parts malfunction on the truck, they can easily cause a collision. These types of trucks include:
- Garbage trucks
- Dump trucks
- Tow trucks
- 18-wheelers (Tractor-trailers)
- Moving trucks
Tacoma Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me (800) 630-9229
Reasons to Hire a Lawyer After a Truck Accident
A truck accident may cause severe injuries or even death. If you or your loved one is in an accident with a large truck, you will have a lot on your plate afterward. Foremost, you need to worry about recovering from either your injuries or your loss of a loved one. The last thing you should deal with is a heartless insurance company that will try to lowball you in settlement negotiations. A Tacoma truck accident lawyer could assist you with the case.
If you hire a personal injury lawyer for your case, they can begin communicating with all involved parties to negotiate on your behalf, taking this off your long list of tasks to worry about after an accident.
They can also collect evidence for you and ensure you have the proof to collect the compensation you deserve. Evidence that can be key to your claim might include:
- Medical records
- Witness accounts
- Security camera footage
- Dashcam footage
- Police reports
A truck accident attorney can also help with the legal intricacies of the case, as truck accidents often involve other parties or claims if it was a multi-vehicle wreck.
Click to contact our Tacoma Personal Injury Lawyers today
Washington’s Statute of Limitations and Proving Negligence
For personal injury and wrongful death cases, Washington provides a three-year statute of limitations, according to Revised Code of Washington (RCW) § 4.16.080. That means you have three years to make your claim against the truck driver, company, or any liable third party.
Washington follows the contributory negligence rules outlined in RCW § 4.22.070. In a wreck, the court could assign fault to both drivers for the collision, but under contributory negligence, even if it assigns some blame to you, you could still collect damages. Negligence involves four elements:
- Duty: You must show that the other party had a responsibility to drive the truck safely.
- Breach of duty: You must show that the truck driver or another party breached that duty by acting negligently or recklessly.
- Causation: The breach of duty must have caused the wreck and your injuries.
- Damages: You must show that you suffered financial damages because of the breach.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Losses You Could Potentially Recover After a Truck Accident
Due to the nature of a large commercial truck accident, you could suffer from extensive injuries or lose a loved one in the collision. You could recover several types of compensation after a truck accident, including:
- Lost income: You may miss a lot of time at work while you recover from the truck accident and the injuries it incurred, and you could be entitled to lost wages, fringe benefits, bonuses, and other income.
- Personal property damage: You could recover the costs to repair car damage or replace your vehicle.
- Medical costs: Hospital stays, surgeries, doctor appointments, and other medical bills can add up quickly. You should not have to face that burden on your own.
- Future medical bills: You may need rehabilitation or physical therapy after a truck accident, and you could potentially recover estimated future medical bills.
- Pain and suffering: You could also receive an award for the physical pain and mental and emotional trauma caused by the truck accident.
- Reduced earning potential: The wreck may cause you to be unable to resume your regular job duties, and you could recover for the reduction of any future earning potential.
- Wrongful death: If you lose your loved one in a truck accident, you can claim wrongful death to help cover funeral and burial costs, loss of consortium, and the loss of their income and companionship.
Call Us for a Free Consultation About Your Tacoma Truck Accident
If you or your loved one suffered injuries in a truck accident in Tacoma, you could recover awards for medical bills, car repairs, and more. The legal team at Ben Crump Law, PLLC, can work with you to get the details of your case and determine the best steps for you. Contact us today at (800) 630-9229 for an initial consultation. Your Tacoma truck accident lawyer will work hard for you to try and get the best outcome possible.
Call or text (800) 630-9229 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form