Most of us drive to work or school routinely each day with few problems. But when you become the victim of a car wreck, your routine quickly becomes disrupted. You may experience a great deal of stress trying to fix the damage or get your injuries treated. You are not alone—there were nearly 112,000 car accidents in the state of Washington in 2019, according to the Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT).
If you were the victim of a car accident in Tacoma, Washington, you may be entitled to recover damages from the other driver. To learn how a Tacoma car accident lawyer can help, contact Ben Crump Law, PLLC today at (800) 598-7557.
Car Accidents and Negligence
There are numerous circumstances that can lead to car accidents, but many of them are attributed to negligent driving practices. Some common causes of car accidents in Tacoma include:
- Texting while driving
- Distracted driving
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence (DUI)
- Inclement weather
- Failure to yield right of way
- Failure to maintain vehicles
- Road conditions
- Driver fatigue
Any of these causes can lead to an accident. If the other driver behaves negligently, causing an accident, then you could be eligible to seek compensation.
There are also many different types of car accidents that can occur due to a driver’s negligence, including:
- Rollover accidents
- Rear-end accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Truck accidents
- Unsecured load accidents
- Hit and run accidents
No matter what type of collision led to your injuries and damage to your vehicle, contact Ben Crump Law, PLLC today to determine your next course of action.
For a free legal consultation with a car accidents lawyer serving Tacoma, call (800) 598-7557
Why You May Need a Lawyer After a Car Accident
When you are in a car accident, you may be disoriented and possibly even in shock. This can make it difficult to assess injuries, take a complete inventory of the damage to your car, or collect the other driver’s information. The days after an accident should be devoted to your recovery—but that can be difficult if you are battling with the insurance company and trying to get compensation from the other driver.
Almost all insurance companies will try to pay you as little as possible, a process that is not fair to you when you have medical bills, vehicle damage, and other costs to pay. You should not have to worry about mounting costs for an accident that was not your fault. Negotiating with an insurance company can be tricky, but a Tacoma car accident lawyer can handle this process for you.
Other reasons to consider hiring a lawyer include:
- Your lawyer can compile all documents for your case, including medical records, witness statements, security footage, accident scene photos, and more.
- Your lawyer can make sure that your case is filed in time. According to the Revised Code of Washington Section 4.16.080, you have three years to file a case before the statute of limitations expires.
- Your lawyer can argue to reduce your fault if you were assigned any portion of it. The state of Washington follows a contributory negligence policy, which according to Revised Code of Washington § 4.22, reduces the award you will receive by the percentage of fault you were assigned in the accident. For example, if you are assigned 30% of fault, you would receive 70% of the award. Any reduction in your at-fault percentage can increase your award.
Tacoma Car Accident Lawyer Near Me (800) 598-7557
Proving Negligence in a Car Accident
To seek any kind of award, you first need to show that the other driver was indeed negligent. Proving negligence involves the four elements of negligence, which are:
- Duty: As the plaintiff, you must demonstrate that the defendant had a duty to drive with care and protect others on the road, including you.
- Breach of duty: Once you show duty, you must then show how this duty was breached. In this case, it would be that the other driver failed to correctly use their vehicle.
- Causation: You then need to show that the driver’s breach of duty caused the accident.
- Damages: Once these other elements are proven, you can seek damages for your injuries and other losses.
Types of Compensation
In accident cases like these, there are certain types of compensation that you can potentially recover. These include:
- Personal property damage: If your car is damaged or totaled, you should not have to claim that cost against your own insurance policy and risk your premiums increasing.
- Medical bills: Doctor visits, surgeries, rehabilitation, and other medical expenses will add up, creating a large amount of debt that you should not have to be responsible for.
- Future medical costs: If your injuries are severe enough, there may be future medical costs involved for your treatment or physical therapy.
- Lost wages: You may miss time at work due to the accident.
- Future wages: If you are unable to return to your previous job or must now work in a lesser capacity, you may be able to claim future earning potential.
- Pain and suffering: This includes non-economic damages, such as the emotional and mental trauma you went through.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Contact Our Legal Team Today
Ben Crump Law, PLLC works on a contingency basis, which means you do not have to pay any upfront or out-of-pocket costs. We only collect a fee if we are able to win a settlement for you.
Our team of Tacoma car accident lawyers is ready to help. Contact Ben Crump Law, PLLC today at (800) 598-7557 for a free consultation.