Driving around the city of Tacoma on your motorcycle can be an exciting experience. But when that experience is interrupted by a collision with a motor vehicle, it can quickly turn into a devastating day. If you or a loved one are the victim of a motorcycle accident, then you may be able to recover damages from the other party.
Call the legal team of Ben Crump Law, PLLC at (800) 924-3113 for a free consultation with one of our representatives so we can go over the details of your motorcycle accident and establish whether or not you have a case that a Tacoma motorcycle accident lawyer can take on for you.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), the majority of motorcycle crashes are caused when other drivers simply didn’t see the motorcyclist. Common reasons other drivers don’t see motorcyclists are:
- Reckless Driving: Speeding, moving erratically in and out of lanes, and other types of reckless driving make it harder for drivers to see motorcycles.
- Inclement Weather: If a driver is not using caution while operating a motor vehicle during rainy or wintry weather, then they could easily crash into a motorcycle.
- Failure to Yield: Running a stop sign or red light may lead to a driver slamming into a motorcycle, especially if they are speeding or not looking in their direction.
- Distracted Driving: Texting while driving, glancing down at the radio, turning around to kids in the backseat, and other distractions take a driver’s eyes off the road.
- Driving Under the Influence: Using any drugs or alcohol and then driving slows reflexes and makes it difficult to stop quickly or even see a motorcycle on the road.
For a free legal consultation with a motorcycle accidents lawyer serving Tacoma, call (800) 924-3113
Why You Should Consider Hiring an Attorney
After a motorcycle accident, you may have extensive injuries or be dealing with the death of a loved one. These are both stressful circumstances and you should not have to fight with insurance companies and try to negotiate with them while trying to recover from the accident.
Hiring a Tacoma motorcycle accident lawyer can potentially take all these worries off of your plate, as they will handle them for you. They can work directly with all involved insurance companies and try to get the best settlement possible. Generally, insurance companies will try to offer you the lowest amount that they can on the first offer, and that often means you do not get the amount of compensation you need to cover the costs from the accident.
The lawyer will also take over everything related to filing your case, which means that they will ensure it is all filed in time before the statute of limitations expires. According to the Revised Code of Washington (RCW) § 4.16.080, Washington has a three-year statute of limitations for personal injury cases. Tasks involved in filing your case include:
- Obtaining copies of medical records
- Working with police to get a copy of the accident report
- Finding any security camera or dashcam footage
- Locating any possible witnesses and getting their statements
- Getting any available photos of the accident scene
- Negotiating with insurance companies
- Taking your case to court if necessary
Your lawyer will also work to prove negligence on the part of the other driver. Negligence involves four elements: duty, breach of duty, causation, and damages. To be eligible to collect damages, you must prove the driver had a duty to protect you, that they breached that duty by crashing into you, and that the collision caused your injuries or the death of your loved one.
Tacoma Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Near Me (800) 924-3113
Contributory Negligence in Washington
In the state of Washington, civil cases follow the doctrine of contributory negligence. This means that even if you are found to have some fault in the accident, then you can still collect damages. Some states have other forms of negligence doctrine that do not allow you to collect compensation if you are at fault in any way, so Washington’s negligence laws are more lenient than some.
Your total award, however, will be reduced by the percentage of fault that was assigned to you for the wreck. Your lawyer will work to try and get that percentage reduced if any was assigned to you, so that you can recover the maximum amount of compensation possible.
Types of Compensation You May Be Able to Get
In your motorcycle accident case, you may be able to get certain types of compensation once you prove negligence on the part of the other driver. Those types could include:
- Medical Bills: Hospital costs, surgeries, physical therapy, and other medical costs can tally up rapidly. You might be able to recoup those costs.
- Lost Wages: Recovering from a motorcycle accident can take a lot of time, and that means you could end up missing out on time at work.
- Lost Future Earning Potential: If the injuries from the accident were severe, it is possible you could have difficulty returning to your previous job and you might be able to get compensation for that lost earning potential.
- Property Damage: Replacing or repairing your motorcycle after an accident can be quite expensive and you should not have to be liable for those costs if an accident was not your fault.
- Pain and Suffering: Mental trauma and emotional pain cannot be quantified, but we can try to recover damages for the pain and suffering that you have gone through as a result of the accident.
- Wrongful Death: Unfortunately, sometimes motorcycle drivers pass away after an accident. You might be able to get compensated for the loss of companionship, loss of financial support, and more.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation About Your Tacoma Motorcycle Accident
If you or a loved one are the victim of a motorcycle accident in Tacoma, then an attorney may be able to help you recover compensation for the wreck. Contact a representative from Ben Crump Law, PLLC for a free consultation where we will review the details of your case. Call (800) 924-3113 to speak with our legal team today so we can get you in touch with a Tacoma motorcycle accident lawyer.