According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), reckless driving encompasses several different types of behavior on the part of the motorist. This can include:
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Drowsy driving
- Road rage and aggressive driving
- Distracted driving
- Failing to operate a motor vehicle according to laws and regulations
If you suffered any type of injuries, damages, or losses that were the result of a car accident caused by reckless driving, you may have the legal right to receive compensation. You could recover:
- Your lost wages due to your inability to return to work
- Medical bills
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
If you remain financially, physically, or emotionally affected following a car accident, consider how a car accident caused by reckless driving lawyer at Ben Crump Law, PLLC at (844) 730-0233 can help. We can ensure that all of your legal rights remain protected.
Understanding Reckless Driving
Reckless driving is when a driver operates a motor vehicle in such a willful way as to completely disregard the safety of other persons or property. In most cases, the victim must prove that the negligent party had an overall wanton disregard for safety and that their actions were intentional. In some cases, reckless driving can result in criminal charges, as well as civil charges based on the facts and circumstances of the case.
Types of Reckless Driving
There are many different types of reckless driving that cause serious injuries and fatalities, including the following:
Driving Under the Influence of Drugs or Alcohol
If a driver of a motor vehicle gets behind the wheel of a car while impaired and under the influence of either drugs or alcohol, this is a form of seriously reckless driving. Every state has their own standards for charges regarding driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol. However, any amount of impairment can result in some form of civil (or criminal) charge.
While driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol remains illegal throughout the United States, too many people still do it. If you suffered any injuries or losses as a result of another motorist operating a motor vehicle under the influence of alcohol or drugs, consider calling our legal team for more information.
Too many people die as a result of drowsy driving. One dangerous event occurs when large commercial truck drivers fail to adhere to the required standards of rest. When one such driver operates a large truck while drowsy, there is a higher increased risk that they could cause a serious accident or death.
Road Rage and/or Aggressive Driving
Road rage—a form of aggressive driving—occurs when drivers operate a motor vehicle in an overly aggressive way, causing danger to themselves and others on the roadways. Some examples of road rage include the following:
- Tailgating too closely to the vehicle in front of them
- Excessive speeding
- Weaving quickly and dangerously in and out of traffic (improper passing and changing of lanes)
- Yelling threats or obscenities at other motorists or passengers
- Excessive use of the horn towards other motorists
- Making offensive or aggressive hand gestures towards other motorists
- Braking or accelerating inappropriately or abruptly
- Brandishing a weapon towards other drivers (gun, knife, etc.)
- Intentionally hitting another motorist, bicyclist or pedestrian
- Chasing another motorist at a high speed and/or in a reckless or dangerous manner
- Causing motorists to run off of the roadway
- Causing an accident intentionally and then leaving the vehicle in order to start a physical confrontation
Many people consider that distracted driving translates into texting while driving. It is, unfortunately true that many accidents occur on the roadways as a result of texting while driving. However, texting or talking on a cell phone while driving is not the only type of distracted driving which results in serious accidents.
Some types of distracted driving which result in severe accidents or fatalities include the following:
- Texting while driving or using a cell phone while driving in any way
- Lost in thought
- Distraction from outside the vehicle (another accident, a pedestrian, a sign, etc.)
- Distractions from inside the vehicle (another passenger, eating, drinking, smoking, changing the radio frequency, changing the temperature settings, checking the GPS settings, etc.)
Failure to Obey Driving Laws and Regulations
In many cases, reckless driving occurs as a result of a motorist failing to obey established local or state driving laws and regulations. In some cases, a police report will indicate that a citation occurred as a result of this phenomenon. These official police reports can help a victim prove that they suffered injuries and losses as a result of reckless driving.
Learn How a Car Accidents Caused by Reckless Driving Lawyer Can Help You
As a victim of a car accident caused by any kind of reckless driving, you may have the legal right to pursue compensation. Consider retaining a car accidents caused by reckless speeding lawyer from Ben Crump Law, PLLC at (844) 730-0233.
We can either help you negotiate with insurance companies or help you develop a personal injury case—in which you can attempt to receive compensation for your medical bills, property damage, lost wages, and pain and suffering.