Everyone has felt some sort of frustration at some point behind the wheel of a car; however, when this behavior escalates into hostile driving or road rage, it endangers the lives of other motorists and passengers.
If you suffered any injuries or losses due to the irresponsible behavior of a driver exhibiting road rage, learn how car accidents caused by road rage lawyers at Ben Crump Law, PLLC can help you with your case. Give us a call at (844) 730-0233.
Understanding Road Rage
Road rage is also known as aggressive driving and occurs when a driver becomes overly hostile behind the wheel of a car. While everyone has a time when they feel frustrated with traffic, this never gives a person the license to act aggressively or with rage toward other drivers.
Some of the types of actions that constitute road rage or aggressive driving could include failing to obey traffic signals or signs, excessively speeding on the roadways, and weaving in and out of traffic. You have probably also witnessed motorists tailgating, improperly passing or changing lanes, or simply driving dangerously or aggressively.
Behaviors Associated with Road Rage
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) defines road rage as an action “endangers or is likely to endanger persons or property.” There are many other behaviors associated with road rage other than simply driving aggressively. Some of these violent and hazardous behaviors include the following:
- Threatening other drivers either through screaming or through threatening actions while driving
- Exhibiting offensive or aggressive/violent hand gestures to other drivers
- Continuously honking the horn in an aggressive manner
- Cutting off other drivers while driving, or intentionally blocking off drivers from moving forward in traffic
- Intentionally breaking or accelerating suddenly
- Brandishing a weapon of some sort to other drivers as a threat
- Aggressively driving a vehicle in such a way that another vehicle must run off the road
- Exiting the vehicle in an attempt to begin an actual physical confrontation with another driver or passenger
- Driving at high speeds or weaving in and out of traffic at high speeds
As anyone can easily imagine, these types of behaviors often cause catastrophic accidents with serious injuries or fatalities. If you suffered any kind of injuries as a result of road rage, learn how car accidents caused by road rage lawyers at Ben Crump Law, PLLC can help you understand your rights.
Proving Liability in Car Accidents Caused by Road Rage
If you suffered any injuries or losses as a result of a car accident of any kind, you will have to prove liability and determine responsibility in order to receive compensation from an insurance company for those injuries and losses. In order to prove liability in any car accident, including those involving road rage, a victim must prove the following:
- The driver has a duty to operate a motor vehicle safely on the roadways and drive in a responsible and safe manner. This is typically an easy element to prove as all drivers should always operate their motor vehicles in a safe manner.
- The driver of the motor vehicle breached their duty to operate a motor vehicle safely on the roadways by driving in an aggressive manner indicative of road rage.
- A victim of a car accident caused by road rage will have the responsibility to prove that the actions of the aggressive driver directly caused the accident that led to their injuries and losses.
- A victim must prove that actual damages resulted from the other driver’s negligent and reckless behavior. Damages can include physical or emotional damages, as well as property damage.
Filing a Claim for a Car Accident Caused by Road Rage
If you suffered injuries or losses as a result of a car accident caused by road rage, your first step is to call the police regarding the issue. This is incredibly important not only for a police officer to visit the scene of the accident and create an official police report but also for your safety. Make sure to take all precautions before the police arrive at the scene of an accident in order to ensure your safety and the safety of your passengers.
After your car accident, you will need to file a report with the other driver’s insurance company in order to receive compensation for your medical bills, property damage, loss of wages due to your inability to return to work, and pain and suffering.
Insurance companies may not initially offer a fair and just settlement for their injuries and losses resulting from a car accident caused by road rage. If you do make the decision to negotiate with insurance companies regarding your car accident, make sure an insurance company never records your conversations or gains access to your entire medical history.
Visiting with a lawyer can help you understand your legal rights as well as help you with the negotiations with insurance companies.
Learn How a Car Accidents Caused by Road Rage Lawyer Can Help You
If you suffered any injuries or losses due to the irresponsible behavior of a driver exhibiting road rage, you may have the right to receive compensation for your medical bills, property damage, lost wages and pain and suffering.
Consider contacting our legal team to learn how car accidents caused by road rage lawyers at Ben Crump Law, PLLC can help you with your case and help ensure your legal rights remain protected. Call us at (844) 730-0233.