A car accident is a traumatic experience. It can leave those involved suffering from injuries that can have severe financial ramifications. Attempting to navigate filing claims with insurance companies while working toward physical and emotional recovery can be difficult. The goal of an insurance company is to pay out as little as possible with each claim, so having a Washington DC car accident lawyer on your side might help you get the compensation to which you are entitled.
Contact Ben Crump Law, PLLC today to schedule a consultation with one of our Washington DC car accident lawyers for a complimentary assessment of your accident case: (844) 638-1822.
Personal Injury Protection
Because DC Code § 31-2404 states that the district of Columbia is a no-fault district, your first resource for damages will be the personal injury protection (PIP) clause of your insurance policy. This can cover lost wages and medical expenses. However, because there is a cap as to the amount it will pay, it might not be enough to cover all costs. Serious injuries can mean skyrocketing medical expenses, so if you are injured, you may want to consider a personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault driver to help you recover financially.
A Washington DC car accident lawyer can help manage the countless details involved, including gathering evidence and accessing professionals such as accident investigators and other experts to help support your claim.
For a free legal consultation with a car accidents lawyer, call (844) 638-1822
Common Causes of Car Accidents
The list below shows some of the common causes of car crashes.
- Distracted driving. According to the DC Metropolitan Police Department, in this day of devices, distracted driving—such as texting or checking GPS or chatting on the phone—is a real problem. In the District of Columbia, it is illegal for motorists to use their mobile phones or other electronic devices unless there is a hands-free accessory.
- Driving while under the influence. It is illegal to drive after drinking alcohol or using drugs that make it difficult to operate a motor vehicle.
- Speeding. Many people have been guilty of going over the speed limit at some point, even if it’s infrequent or only by a few miles. But speeding decreases stop times and can cause drivers to lose control of their vehicles.
- Reckless or aggressive driving. Making improper lane changes, tailgating, excessive horn-honking, and deliberately cutting people off all fall under the umbrella of reckless or aggressive driving. This kind of driving puts everyone in danger.
- Running red lights. This might seem obvious, but people run red lights on a regular basis, and the end result is often disastrous.
- Driving at night. Some people are more affected by the decreased visibility at night than others. Use high-beams when you are on a road with little traffic—particularly if you are in an area where there are animal crossings.
- Tire blowouts. Tire blowouts are scary, but the best thing you can do is keep a level head. Slow down (but do not slam the brakes), take control of the steering wheel, and pull off on the side of the road carefully.
- Making left turns. Left turns can be dangerous driving maneuvers. Always use your turn signal, slow down well in advance of where you will be turning, and check for traffic as well as the presence of bikers and pedestrians.
- Constructions sites. It can be confusing to drive through a road construction site, especially when cone and lane location change from day to day. Drive slowly and carefully through these areas.
When another driver violates traffic laws and causes an accident that results in injuries, the at-fault driver should be held accountable. At Ben Crump Law, PLLC, our team of Washington DC car accident lawyers can help protect your right to fair compensation, based on the facts of your case.
Car Accident Lawyer Near Me (844) 638-1822
What to Do After a Car Accident
A car accident is a traumatic experience, and it can be difficult to stay calm and act appropriately afterward. But if you take the following steps, this might make your claim easier to prove.
- Call 911. Check on any passengers in your car to see if they are okay.
- When the police arrive, be cooperative but do not admit fault. Stick to the facts.
- If you can do so safely, document the scene with pictures and video. Once the police are on-site, they will begin to clean up the area, destroying potential evidence. Take pictures of any property damage, as well as license plates of all vehicles involved.
- Get contact information from any eyewitnesses to the crash.
- Go to the doctor for a full medical evaluation. Be sure to follow any recommendations for treatment; not doing so can undermine the extent of your injuries in the eyes of insurance adjusters.
- Contact the office of a Washington DC car accident lawyer for a review of your case if you want to seek legal representation.
Damages You May Be Able to Recover After a Car Accident
There are several types of damages you may be able to recover after a car accident, and if your accident involved serious injuries, medical expenses may be chief among them. You also may have a claim for pain and suffering, lost wages, or loss of companionship if the car accident caused the death of a loved one.
These can include the following:
- Ambulance fees
- Appointments with healthcare professionals
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation
- Treatment for disfigurement
- Treatment for a permanent disability
- In-home services (including nonmedical services)
- Accessories for treatment, such as crutches or a wheelchair
If the accident resulted in the death of a loved one, you can sue the at-fault party for medical expenses as well as wrongful death.
Pain and Suffering
Victims can also sue for damages based on the mental or physical distress they feel following an accident. The lawsuit will base requested damages on the type of injury, the level of pain suffered, and the outlook for pain in the future.
If you are injured in a car crash, you might not be able to return to work. The loss of earning capacity can go on for a long time, depending on the extent of the injuries. Some victims will not be able to return to work in the future because of their injuries.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Contact Our Team at Ben Crump Law, PLLC Today
A car accident can leave victims with injuries that can lead to a significant financial burden. The team at Ben Crump Law, PLLC may be able to help you get justice after a car accident. When we take on your case, you pay nothing out of pocket while we handle your case; there are no retainers or fees. We get paid if we recover a settlement for you.
Call our team at Ben Crump Law, PLLC at (844) 638-1822 to schedule a consultation with a Washington DC car accident lawyer so that they can review your case.