There is not an across-the-board amount for how much lawyers charge for accident claims. Every lawyer sets his or her own fees, and those fees can vary widely between lawyers. However, there are several consistent ways that lawyers charge across the industry.
Many lawyers offer free consultations so that finding out if you have a credible case is easy. Many lawyers also work based on a contingency, which means they only get paid if they win your case. The contingency amount can vary from lawyer to lawyer and is usually set at the beginning of the case. Some lawyers charge a flat fee while others take a percentage of whatever compensation you receive.
If you or a loved one is injured in a motorcycle accident, you may be able to take legal action against the person who caused your accident. By filing a lawsuit, you can claim compensation for your related expenses.
Types of Accident Claims
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), the overall number of motorcycle accidents and fatalities is dropping. This is great news but does little to help when you are involved in an accident.
Your accident still leaves you with expenses that need to be dealt with. When you file a civil lawsuit, the goal is to claim monetary compensation for your expenses. The types of claims that you may be able to file in your case include:
- Medical expenses: Any medical expenses that are related to your accident can be claimed. This includes emergency medical care and ongoing care costs.
- Property damage: Property damage covers the costs of repairing or replacing any of your property that was damaged in the accident. Vehicle repair expenses are a common example of this. However, you can also include items like your cell phone, laptop, or any other property that was in the vehicle that was damaged.
- Lost wages: If you are out of work because of your injuries, the pay that you missed out on can also be claimed. This will help with your monthly expenses.
There are other expenses you can claim in a lawsuit that are not covered on this list. A motorcycle accident attorney can help you get compensation for non-economic damages as well: pain and suffering, mental anguish, loss of enjoyment of everyday activities, loss of consortium, anxiety, depression, insomnia, etc. Document as many of your expenses as you can. This helps your lawyer collect billing statements and other forms of evidence that you can use in the lawsuit.
Expenses Related to Hiring a Lawyer
One reason why it is difficult to nail down how much it will cost to hire a lawyer is that lawyers have expenses related to managing your case that you may not be aware of. Some of the expenses that your lawyer deals with include:
- Filing fees: There are fees associated with filing cases with the court.
- Investigation costs: Your lawyer may hire someone to investigate specific elements of your case. There may also be costs associated with collecting evidence for your case.
- Expert witnesses: If your case needs an expert witness that can testify to the forensic evidence, then there is almost always a fee associated with that.
There are other fees not covered on this list. Discuss how these fees are covered with your lawyer before starting the case. Some lawyers cover these costs and collect compensation at the end of the case instead of having you pay for them as you go.
Statute of Limitations Apply to All Vehicle Accident Cases
Every state has a different statute of limitations for personal injury and property damage cases. A statute of limitations is a limit on the amount of time you have to file your lawsuit after you are injured. Most states have statutes of limitation between one and six years for personal injury and property damage cases. Check with the civil law code for your state or ask a personal injury or property damage lawyer to clarify how much time you have.
Possibly Recoverable Compensation
When you file your lawsuit, you can claim any expenses related to your accident in your recovery. The two primary claims are usually medical expenses and property damage since they are the most immediate and common problems. You can also claim compensation for lost wages as well as pain-and-suffering damages. In some cases, the judge may decide to award punitive damages that are designed to punish the responsible party and to motivate them to make better choices in the future.
Call Us to Discuss the Details of Your Potential Case
How much lawyers charge for accident claims depends on each lawyer, but you can look for lawyers to offer a beneficial pricing structure for you. If a lawyer works on contingency and offers a free consultation, there are no upfront costs to starting your lawsuit. It also means that winning your case gives you the ability to afford a lawyer since lawyers pay comes directly out of the compensation that you win.
Call the office of Ben Crump Law, PLLC at 800-959-1444 to discuss your case with our team. We offer free case reviews and represent clients based on a contingent fee.