If you slip or fall inside a Costco store and the store or its employees are to blame for the cause of your accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries. Contact the legal team at Ben Crump Law, PLLC at (800) 647-3113 to set up your free, no-obligation consultation. An injury lawyer for slip and fall accidents at Costco may be able to help you with your case.
What Can Cause a Slip and Fall Injury at Costco
While you are in Costco, there are many potential hazards surrounding you that could contribute to your slip and fall accident. You could be walking and suddenly find yourself on the floor with a moderate to severe injury, depending on how you fell. Common causes of Costco slip and fall accidents include:
- Merchandise that is not properly stored
- Spills that are not cleaned up immediately
- Doormats that are not laid down flat at entrances/exits
- Floors that are wet or slippery due to customers tracking in rainwater or snow on boots
- Lack of warning signs posted at an area where a spill had occurred
- Employees who were not trained properly on using a forklift
Injuries You May Receive from a Slip and Fall Accident
If you are involved in a slip and fall accident at a Costco, then you could end up with many different types of injuries. Slips and falls are some of the most common reasons that people visit the emergency room, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Types of injuries that you may receive from these types of accidents include:
- Concussion/traumatic brain injury
- Broken bones
- Internal bleeding
- Spinal cord injury
No matter what the injury is or how extensive it may be, you should not be stuck footing the medical bills if it was not your fault.
What to Do After a Costco Slip and Fall Accident
After your accident, there are certain steps you should take to help ensure that your case is as solid as possible. Without the evidence you get from these steps, Costco and its insurance company might try everything they can to discredit you and take away from your case. Try to follow these steps or have a loved one do them for you:
- Speak with any potential witnesses
- Get photos or video of the scene to show what happened
- File an official report with the store manager
- Contact first responders if needed
- Seek medical attention even if you have no obvious injuries
Reasons to Consider Hiring a Lawyer After a Slip and Fall Accident
If you do slip and fall at Costco, you may end up with some type of injury. These injuries can range from mild to severe, depending on how you tripped or fell as well as other risk factors such as age and pre-existing conditions.
An injury may end up causing a large amount of medical debt, as well as other issues, and if you were not responsible for the negligence that led to your injury, then you may be able to recover damages. However, that recovery can be more difficult than you think, as there are many loopholes and intricacies in personal injury law.
An injury lawyer for slip and fall accidents at Costco will be fully in your corner and can help you with your case. Reasons to consider hiring a lawyer include:
- They negotiate directly with everyone involved. If you are trying to recuperate from an injury, you do not need the added stress of fighting with Costco, the legal team, and their insurance company. Your lawyer will do all of that for you.
- The lawyer will work to prove your case. This could include compiling evidence, witness statements, photos and video of the scene, and more. The more evidence that you have, the stronger your case will be.
- Your attorney may be able to get you compensation. Typically, an insurance company will make you a low offer when you do not have a lawyer. With an attorney by your side, they may be able to make a deal and get you a fair compensation settlement for your injuries.
Proving Negligence in a Slip and Fall Accident
For a slip and fall accident at Costco, you will have to prove negligence before you are eligible to seek damages. Different states have different negligence laws, as some will allow you to collect awards even if part of the incident was your fault. However, some will not permit any compensation to be awarded if you had any fault. Your lawyer will try to prove that you did not have any fault so that you can obtain the maximum compensation possible.
Types of Compensation You May Collect
After you can prove negligence, there are types of compensation that you might be able to collect from Costco for your slip and fall injury. Your attorney can work with you to determine just how much you should try to claim for your accident so that you can hopefully get the largest award possible. These types could include:
- Medical bills
- Future medical costs
- Lost wages
- Future earning potential
- Wrongful death
- Pain and suffering
Call Us for a Free Consultation About Your Costco Slip and Fall Accident
Throughout the country, the legal team at Ben Crump Law, PLLC works to help victims of slip and fall accidents at large stores such as Costco. If you are the victim of such an accident, then you may be entitled to compensation. Contact us today at (800) 647-3113 to speak with a representative and begin working with an injury lawyer for slip and fall accidents at Costco.