Heading out to Dick’s Sporting Goods usually means you are planning for something, whether it be a family camping trip, fishing outing, or your child’s upcoming baseball season. If that trip is interrupted by a slip and fall accident, though, it can go from fun to chaotic in the blink of an eye.
Slip and fall accidents may be caused by store or employee negligence, and if that happens in your case, you and your family could be entitled to collect compensation. If you are a victim of a slip and fall accident at Dick’s, then contact the legal team at Ben Crump Law, PLLC at (800) 647-3113. We can provide you with a free consultation and get you set up with an injury lawyer for slip and fall accidents at Dick’s.
Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents in Dick’s Sporting Goods
Inside Dick’s Sporting Goods, many opportunities for browsing abound. You can check out the athletic shoes, peruse the gun section, or look for a new fishing rod. While you are doing all of that, however, potential hazards could be underfoot. Learn about some causes of slip and fall accidents at this store, which could include:
- Improperly stored merchandise: Dick’s stores often have merchandise displayed on the top racks and even hanging from the ceiling. If those are improperly stored or put up, they could fall at any given time and be a tripping hazard for anyone who may come by and not see them there.
- Food or beverage spills: Dick’s Sporting Goods may operate in or near malls, which means guests could carry in food and beverages from a nearby restaurant or food court. If that spill and the mess goes unnoticed, then a customer could slip in the mess and injure themselves.
- Icy or snowy outdoor surfaces: Stores are supposed to keep their parking lots, sidewalks, and entryways safe for customers and that includes cleaning up snow and ice. If a Dick’s Sporting Goods store fails to provide that safety and you fall, then they may be liable.
- Uneven doormats: If a corner of a doormat comes up or the mat itself is not laid out flat, then it could be a tripping hazard for anyone walking by.
Steps to Take After You Slip and Fall at a Dick’s Sporting Goods
If you do slip and fall inside or outside of a Dick’s Sporting Goods store, there are some steps you should take to ensure that the incident is properly documented and that you are tended to as needed.
- First, call first responders if needed. You may need them to tend to your injuries and safely transport you to a hospital for further care. Even if your injuries are not immediately apparent, you should still seek medical attention so there is a record of your injuries.
- Report the incident to the store manager. The store needs to know about its negligence and there needs to be an official report on file that backs up your claim.
- Take photos and videos of the scene if possible. The scene will be cleaned up quickly, so you need to document what happened if you can.
- Get any names of witnesses. You might need people to corroborate your account of what happened, and those witnesses could help you.
Reasons to Contact a Lawyer
After a slip and fall accident, you may feel confused and frustrated at the medical bills that are coming your way. If you were not at fault for the accident, then you should not have to be covering these bills. An injury lawyer for slip and fall accidents at Dick’s may be able to help you in negotiating your settlement.
Your lawyer can handle all aspects of the case directly, leaving you free to focus on your recovery from the accident. They will also compile any evidence that is needed, such as medical records, photos, witness testimony, security footage, and more. Along with all of this, they can work to show that the store or its employees were negligent in the circumstances surrounding your injury.
Negligence laws do differ by state, but your lawyer will know those laws and what to do about them. Some states, for example, will not allow you to collect damages if you have any fault assigned to you.
Kinds of Compensation You May Receive
If you are eligible to collect compensation, then there are certain kinds that you may be able to claim. These may include:
- Lost Earnings
- Future Lost Wages
- Medical Bills
- Estimate of Future Medical Costs
- Wrongful Death
- Pain and Suffering
Depending on the circumstances of your case, you could be able to collect some or all of these kinds of compensation. Your lawyer can help you decide which kinds to file for based on what happened with your case and how you were injured. If you were not too severely injured, then you may not be filing for things such as future lost wages or wrongful death.
After a Slip and Fall at a Dick’s Sporting Goods Store
If you have been a victim of a slip and fall accident at a Dick’s Sporting Goods store, then the representatives of Ben Crump Law, PLLC might be able to assist you with your case. We do not shy away from the tough cases, and we can pursue the compensation you deserve.
Contact us today at (800) 647-3113 to learn more and talk with us about your case. We can get you connected with an injury lawyer for slip and fall accidents at Dick’s as soon as possible.