Founded in 1850, Dunkin Donuts has long been one of America’s most popular donut bakeries and coffee shops.
Popular for more than just morning treats, Dunkin Donuts locations are frequently busy throughout the day. This heavy traffic might result in neglected restrooms and dining rooms, especially when a store is understaffed. This neglect can lead to slippery hazards like spilled drinks or accumulated trash on the floor for quite some time. Unfortunately, these hazards often result in slip and fall injuries.
If you suffered a slip and fall accident at Dunkin Donuts, you are entitled to seek compensation for your bodily injuries. An injury lawyer for slip and fall accidents at Dunkin Donuts could provide you with the guidance you need to prevail in your claim. To learn more, call Ben Crump Law, PLLC right away at (800) 647-3113.
Dangerous Hazards at Dunkin Donuts
The potential slip and fall hazards inside and outside Dunkin Donuts stores are numerous. Some of these hazards could include:
- Spilled foods and drinks: Coffee and other beverages are commonplace within Dunkin Donuts locations. When customers spill these items on the floor, they become dangerous slip and fall hazards.
- Unmarked wet floors: Even when Dunkin Donuts employees clean up spills, they could potentially leave another hazard behind. Employees should mark floors that are wet from mopping with signs. Unmarked wet floors are just as dangerous as those covered in spilled coffee.
- Trash and debris: One common sign of understaffing or negligent management within a Dunkin Donuts is an overflowing trash can. As trash spills out onto the floor, the odds of a slip and fall accident increase.
- Uneven pavement or flooring: Problems with the flooring in the dining room or even in the parking lot could result in a slip and fall claim. This could include potholes, damaged flooring, or uneven tiles.
- Accumulated snow or ice: Dunkin Donuts staff cannot control the weather, but they have a duty to clear any naturally occurring hazards from outside of the store as soon as possible. The failure to address icy sidewalks or parking lots could result in a viable claim for compensation following a fall.
An injury lawyer for slip and fall accidents at Dunkin Donuts could assist with any of these claims. If you suffered injuries in a fall at Dunkin Donuts, let Ben Crump Law, PLLC assist you. Call us today to schedule your free consultation.
Common Injuries in Dunkin Donuts Slip and Fall Cases
Injuries come in multiple forms following a slip and fall accident at Dunkin Donuts. These falls have the potential to cause permanent or even life-threatening conditions. Falls are especially dangerous for the elderly or for those with preexisting health conditions, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Due to the unpredictable nature of these accidents, a slip and fall could result in injuries to any part of the body. A person slipping on a wet floor could attempt to catch themselves, damaging their arm in the process. Another person that loses their balance could step awkwardly, resulting in a broken leg or damaged tendon. A customer’s feet could slide out from under them and fall backward, suffering a painful back injury.
The most severe injuries typically involve trauma to the head or neck. This sort of fall could lead to devastating consequences like traumatic brain injuries, fractured skulls, spinal cord damage, paralysis, and even death. It is vital to seek medical treatment for all of these serious conditions. Once your medical condition is stabilized, you can protect your legal rights by taking on legal counsel.
Time Limits on Filing Suit Against Dunkin Donuts
Following an injury at a Dunkin Donuts location, there is a strong possibility that the franchise owner could negotiate a settlement with you. In exchange for promising not to file a lawsuit, that settlement could provide you with compensation for your injuries.
Not all slip and fall accidents result in a settlement, though. A lawsuit is necessary to pursue a claim in those situations. It is important to note, then, that you do not have an unlimited amount of time to bring a lawsuit related to your injuries.
Every state recognizes what is known as the statute of limitations. This statute serves as a hard deadline for filing a legal claim. Every state sets its own statutory period, which can also differ depending on the type of lawsuit. In some states, a plaintiff will only have one year from the date of the fall to file suit. In other jurisdictions, that statutory period could stretch on for as many as six years.
It is imperative that you understand the statute of limitations that applies to your slip and fall injury claim. The failure to comply with this deadline could result in the court dismissing your case forever. Let an attorney review your claim and advise you on the amount of time you have to file a lawsuit.
You Could Recover Monetary Damages After a Fall in Dunkin Donuts
The prospect of facing down a national restaurant chain could seem daunting to most people. After all, you can expect the owner and operator of a Dunkin Donuts location to have substantial assets and the assistance of a powerful insurance company.
At Ben Crump Law, PLLC, we are never afraid to take on large companies. We understand that with a strong case, victory is possible. If you have questions for an injury lawyer for slip and fall accidents at Dunkin Donuts, we are ready to provide you answers. Call Ben Crump Law, PLLC right away at (800) 647-3113 to schedule your confidential case evaluation.