Hobby Lobby, a national arts and crafts retailer, offers thousands of products to meet the creative needs of their customers. Their stores are full of art supplies, fabrics, florals, home furnishings, seasonal decor, and much more. Shoppers who are busy searching for their next DIY project are likely not thinking about the possible hazards that could cause a dangerous slip and fall accident.
Such accidents are common in retail stores, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). While the retailer is legally responsible for the safety of its shoppers, employees, and others who visit their stores, there may be disagreement over who is liable in a slip and fall accident, which can result in costly injuries and losses.
This is where an injury lawyer for slip and fall accidents at Hobby Lobby comes in. The thought of filing a personal injury claim or lawsuit against a national retailer can be intimidating. A lawyer who is knowledgeable about premises liability and proving negligence can help you seek the financial awards you need to cover your losses.
To learn more about your legal options, contact Ben Crump Law, PLLC at (800) 647-3113 for a free consultation.
Common Hazards in Retail Stores
Everyone should be careful when they are in a retail store or on someone else’s property as hazards can occur anywhere and for any reason. However, no matter how careful people are, they can still lose their footing and have a slip and fall accident.
Retail stores can have plenty of potential problem areas, including:
- Surfaces that are wet, greasy, or slippery from leaks or spills
- Cracked or uneven surfaces, such as sidewalks
- Parking lots that are hazardous due to weather conditions, such as rain, ice, or snow
- Poorly lit areas
- Entrances and exits that are not labeled correctly
- Misplaced items left in places where they do not belong
Other hazards can be unique to a specific location, such as a store under construction for repairs or renovations. In these cases, the store should clearly mark any construction areas to alert shoppers and others.
If you decide to seek legal representation, you will want to provide a lawyer with as much information and evidence as you can. For example, think about the accident site and list any hazards that you noticed or did not notice until after you fell. You will also want to note anyone who could have been or should have been aware of the hazard that caused your fall. Ask the store’s management to help you fill out an accident report and get a copy of it for your records. Any photos and videos of the accident scene or statements from witnesses can also be helpful.
To learn how an injury lawyer for slip and fall accidents at Hobby Lobby can help build your case, contact Ben Crump Law, PLLC today.
All Slip and Fall Injuries Deserve Prompt Medical Attention
Mayo Clinic confirms that any sort of fall puts you at risk of serious injury. Victims of slip and fall accidents should seek immediate medical attention either at the scene or soon after the accident. You could be seriously hurt, even if you do not feel severe pain or discomfort right away. Some injuries occur gradually over time and only become noticeable when they are too painful to manage on your own.
Seeking medical attention also documents that you received treatment for your injuries and provides the paperwork you will need to prove your medical expenses. A delay in treatment could give the store’s insurance adjuster or legal team a reason to doubt your claim that you were seriously injured in their store.
The severity of a person’s injuries from a fall typically depends on how they land when they hit the floor. Injuries that are common in slip and fall accidents include:
- Head injuries, such as concussions, skull fractures or traumatic brain injuries
- Back and spinal cord injuries
- Broken arms, wrists, legs, or shoulders
- Knee and elbow injuries
Soft tissue injuries are also common and can cause swelling, bruising, strains, tears, or sprains. It is not always easy to see these wounds as they are below the skin’s surface—another reason why you should see a doctor right away.
Establishing Liability in a Slip and Fall Case
An injury lawyer can review the details of your slip and fall accident at Hobby Lobby and determine who is responsible. As mentioned above, Hobby Lobby and all retailers have a duty of care to keep the people who visit their properties safe.
To prove the retailer liable, your attorney must establish at least one of the following:
- Hobby Lobby is directly responsible for the cause of your slip and fall accident.
- Hobby Lobby knew about the hazard that caused your fall, or knew about the potential danger, but did not address it or bring it to your attention.
- Hobby Lobby should have been aware of the hazard that caused your injury and taken care of it but failed to do so. You will need evidence to prove how long the store was aware of the danger that caused your fall before it occurred, which is key to establishing liability.
An Injury Lawyer Can Help
If you decide to take legal action, having an injury lawyer for slip and fall accidents at Hobby Lobby working on your behalf can make the process much easier to manage.
A lawyer can help build your case by:
- Investigating the location where your accident happened
- Determining how the hazard occurred and how long the danger was present in the store
- Establishing if the store responded properly in addressing the hazard
- Interviewing any witnesses
- Reviewing your medical records and other documentation
- Filing your lawsuit by the statute of limitations deadline in the state where the accident occurred
Once the investigation ends, your lawyer can reach out to Hobby Lobby’s representatives. In many cases, Hobby Lobby’s legal team will respond to your claim with a claim of their own, attempting to hold you responsible for your accident. If this happens, your lawyer can help determine the next step in your legal strategy.
Contact Ben Crump Law, PLLC Today
Your slip and fall accident has already cost you enough. While you focus on recovering physically, let the team at Ben Crump Law, PLLC help you fight for compensation to recover financially. To get started, call us today at (800) 647-3113 for a free case review.