Visiting a high-end department store such as Nordstrom is usually cause for excitement since you probably have a big shopping trip planned or just want to window shop and browse their vast selection of beautiful items. Strolling down the aisles can be fun until your shopping is interrupted by an unexpected slip and fall accident.
If you are the victim of a slip and fall accident in a Nordstrom store or around its premises, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries. At Ben Crump Law, PLLC, we provide counsel to those who have suffered from slip and fall injuries on the premises of many retail stores. Contact our offices today at (800) 647-3113 for a free consultation to see what an injury lawyer for slip and fall accidents in Nordstrom can do for you.
Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents in Nordstrom
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), about one fifth of all slip and falls results in a major medical issue, like a broken hip. Causes of falls in stores can include:
- Food/beverage spills: Nordstrom stores usually have cafes, which means shoppers may be carrying their food or beverage throughout the store. If they spill something and an employee does not clean it up quickly, that spill could contribute to a slip or fall.
- Improperly stored merchandise: If merchandise is not stored correctly or clothes have fallen off of hangers, then those can pose a tripping hazard. This can also happen if employees were not trained properly on how to put up clothes or displays.
- Snowy or icy surfaces outside: Stores are supposed to provide safe areas outside as well for their customers so if they fail to clear snow or deice their parking lots, entryways, or sidewalks, then they may be liable for your injuries.
- Broken merchandise: If any merchandise falls and breaks into pieces, then those small pieces could trip you up if they were not cleaned up properly.
- Uneven floor mats: Doormats or rugs throughout the store could cause a fall if they are uneven in any way and were not straightened out in a timely manner.
- Escalator problems: Escalators can sometimes malfunction and if they are not maintained on a correct schedule, they could contribute to your slip or fall incident.
What to Do After a Nordstrom Slip and Fall Accident
If you are the victim of a slip and fall accident at a Nordstrom, then there are some steps you or your loved ones should try to take so that your case is as iron-clad as possible. Make sure to take photos or a video of the scene so you can document what happened and what caused your accident. Next, you need to ensure that an official report is filed with the manager of the store so that there is a record of it. If anyone was around to witness the accident, try to obtain their contact information.
Contact first responders if your injuries are severe enough for immediate medical attention. Even if you do not have evident injuries after the fall, you should still visit your doctor so they can check for any internal injuries that could have happened. You will need your injuries on file as well.
Working with an Attorney
After your slip and fall accident at Nordstrom’s, you may have medical bills to pay or lost time at work for recovery. This is a financial burden that you should not have to bear due to someone else’s negligence. Nordstrom and their legal team may try to settle with you right off the bat, but their initial offer will more than likely be too low to cover the costs associated with your injury.
An injury lawyer for slip and fall accidents in Nordstrom will listen to your case and take on communicating with the other party for you. They can work toward getting you a fair amount of compensation for your case.
In order to be able to file for damages, you have to prove that the store was negligent in the circumstances surrounding your injury. Stores are obligated to provide their customers with a safe environment, and if they breach that duty by being negligent in providing safety and causing your injury, you are then eligible to seek damages.
Negligence laws do vary by state and in some states, if you have any fault in the accident, that can affect your eligibility. Your lawyer can help navigate your case.
Take Action Today
If you slipped or fell inside of a Nordstrom, then you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries. The lawyers at Ben Crump Law, PLLC are ready to help you with your case so that you can get back to living your life.
Contact us today at (800) 647-3113 to set up a free consultation. We do not shy away from tough cases, so call us even if another firm turned you down.