Sears offers many different types of merchandise, from tools and appliances to jewelry and children’s toys. A visit to this store should end in new purchases or moving on to browse other stores in the mall. However, there are potential hazards throughout the store and its parking lot that could cause you or a loved one to suffer from a slip and fall accident.
If you slip and fall at Sears due to the store’s negligence, you might be able to recover compensation. The legal team at Ben Crump Law, PLLC, may be able to assist you with your case so that you are not stuck paying medical bills or taking other financial hits due to the accident. Contact us at (800) 730-1331 to talk with one of our representatives in a free, no-obligation consultation so we can get your case in front of an injury lawyer for slip and fall accidents at Sears.
What Could Cause a Slip and Fall Injury at Sears
Within Sears and its premises, there are many potential causes of slip and fall accidents. The store has a duty to its customers to provide a safe area for them to shop, including the inside of the store as well as its parking lot.
Employees could put merchandise up incorrectly or receive little to no training about loading and unloading larger items, including the operation of a forklift or other heavy machinery.
If you are at a Sears store in a mall, other customers may bring in drinks or food from the food court and spill them in an aisle. Those spills can create a slip and fall issue if they are not cleaned up promptly.
Parking lots should also be safe, but if there is loose asphalt or broken concrete barriers, you could easily trip and injure yourself. Snowy and icy surfaces can also be hazardous and should be cleared off in a timely manner. If they are not, you could fall on those slippery areas.
Any of these negligent behaviors could cause your slip and fall accident. If you are injured because of something Sears did or didn’t do, you may be able to seek damages.
For a free legal consultation, call 800-730-1331
Steps to Take After a Sears Slip and Fall Accident
If you fall while visiting a Sears, there are some steps you might want to follow so you can make sure every part of your accident is properly documented for any future claims.
First, seek medical attention, whether you need emergency first responders or a doctor’s visit. Your injuries will need to be properly documented by a medical professional for your case.
You might want to try and get a video or photo of the area so you can show what caused your injury. The store will clean up that area quickly after your fall, and those photos could be key evidence in your case. Make sure to speak with the store manager, as well, so they have an official record of the incident on file in the store.
You might also want to contact the offices of an injury lawyer for slip and fall accidents at Sears by calling Ben Crump Law, PLLC. They could be able to help you with your case and fight for the award you deserve.
How a Lawyer Could Potentially Help Your Case
Once you decide to hire a personal injury lawyer, they might handle everything involved in your case, which could include:
- Negotiating with all parties: This could be insurance companies, the store itself, or their legal team. Dealing with these entities can be stressful, especially when you are trying to recuperate from your injuries.
- Compiling documents and evidence: For your case, you may need medical records, a copy of the store report, security camera footage, witness statements, and other pieces of evidence. Your lawyer can handle putting all of this together.
- Proving negligence: In order to show that you are eligible to collect damages, you need to prove that your injury was caused by the store’s negligence. Your lawyer might work to prove this for you. If any fault is assigned to you, they might try to reduce that or remove it.
Types of Compensation You Could Collect
After you prove negligence and show that you can collect compensation, you can file your claim. Negligence laws change depending on the state you are in, so your lawyer will talk you through your options. Types of compensation for which you could file include:
- Lost wages: Missing work to recover from this accident could cause you to lose wages, especially if you run out of paid time off.
- Future lost wages: If the accident was severe, you might not be able to resume your former job duties, thus reducing your earning potential.
- Medical costs: Surgery costs, prescription pain medicines, hospital stays, and other medical costs should not be a burden on you because of this accident.
- An estimate of future medical bills: Future medical bills could be incurred due to physical therapy, rehabilitation costs, and more.
- Pain and suffering: These types of damages help to compensate for part of the emotional and mental trauma that you endured due to the accident.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Contact Us if You Are a Victim of a Slip and Fall Accident at Sears
If you slip and fall at a Sears department store due to negligence, you may be entitled to collect compensation for your injuries and the accident. The legal representatives at Ben Crump Law, PLLC, can speak to you about your case in a free consultation. Learn about your next options, including speaking with an injury lawyer for slip and fall accidents at Sears. We operate on a contingency fee, which means you pay nothing unless you receive your award. Contact us today at (800) 730-1331 .