According to USA Today, more than half of American adults drink coffee every day. With more than 14,000 stores nationwide, the prominent coffee chain Starbucks controls nearly 40% of the coffee market in the United States. Given how many Americans enter a Starbucks any given day, it should come as no surprise that accidents frequently occur on the premises. One of the most common types of accidents involves slip and fall injuries.
A slip and fall can result in far more than a bruised ego. In many cases, it can lead to serious or even permanent injuries. Some victims end up dealing with pain and other health consequences for the rest of their lives.
If you or a loved one were injured in a slip and fall accident at Starbucks, you have the right to pursue financial compensation for your injuries. An injury lawyer for slip and fall accidents at Starbucks can explain your options, build your case, and assist you throughout the legal process. To learn more, contact Ben Crump Law, PLLC today at (800) 647-3113 for a free consultation.
Slip and Fall Hazards at Starbucks
Slip and fall hazards come in many shapes and sizes at Starbucks and other coffee shops and restaurants. In fact, a slip and fall accident can even result from dangerous conditions outside the store itself. Whether your injury occurred inside Starbucks, on the sidewalk, or in the parking lot, a lawyer can advise you on your chances of obtaining financial compensation.
Some of the common slip and fall hazards at Starbucks include:
- Spilled coffee – Spilled coffee, tea, and other beverages are a primary cause of slip and fall accidents. Given the heavy foot traffic that comes in and out of a Starbucks location each day, these spills often go unnoticed by staff.
- Dim lighting – The lighting within many Starbucks locations is fairly dim compared to other businesses. While it might provide a nice ambiance, dim lighting also makes it difficult to see hazards on the floor. According to a study published in the Journal of Injury & Violence, dim or poor lighting is a common cause of fall injuries.
- Narrow walkways – Many Starbucks locations are crowded and have limited space to move around. Chairs, tables, and merchandise bins can easily result in a slip and fall accident.
- Wet floors – Unfortunately, an employee’s efforts to clean up a spilled drink can still result in a fall. If an employee mops the floor but fails to put up a sign that warns the public of slippery conditions, they could be responsible for any injuries that occur.
- Accumulated snow or ice – Hazards in parking lots and sidewalks are also the responsibility of Starbucks and their staff. While it is impossible to control weather conditions, Starbucks has a duty to address these hazards in a reasonable manner, including the removal of accumulated snow and ice as soon as possible.
Injury Claims and Premises Liability Laws
Starbucks has a national presence, but the laws related to an injury claim against the coffee company vary from state to state. All jurisdictions have some form of premises liability law that would apply in cases like a slip and fall accident.
In most states, businesses owe a duty to their customers to protect them from dangerous hazards—not only the hazards that staff knows about, but also the hazards they should have known about. When a business fails to take reasonable steps to identify and address dangerous hazards, they could be liable for any injuries that occur.
If you are unsure where to turn after a slip and fall accident at your local Starbucks, the team at Ben Crump Law, PLLC is ready to help. With an injury lawyer for slip and fall accidents at Starbucks on your side, you can increase your odds of recovering the compensation you deserve. The idea of taking a billion-dollar corporation to court may seem daunting, but you do not have to fight this battle alone. Contact Ben Crump Law, PLLC today to schedule a free case evaluation.
Resolving a Starbucks Injury Claim
The vast majority of Starbucks locations are owned not by the company itself, but by franchisees. These franchisees routinely own multiple locations and are responsible for ensuring the safety of their customers.
If you decide to file an injury claim for your slip and fall accident at a Starbucks location, there are two ways that it can be resolved. The first involves negotiating a monetary settlement. The second is by obtaining a verdict at trial.
For the most part, slip and fall injury claims do not go to trial. Most of the time, the plaintiff will obtain a financial settlement and agree to dismiss the case with prejudice. However, a favorable settlement offer is not guaranteed in every case. Obtaining a settlement offer in an amount that fully compensates you for your losses requires developing a strong claim. Insurance companies will fight to avoid paying compensation whenever possible, yet they will often resolve cases when it is clear the evidence is against them. An injury lawyer for slip and fall accidents at Starbucks can help you build the strongest claim possible.
In some situations, the owner of the Starbucks franchise or their insurance company will refuse to make a fair offer. In this situation, your only option is to pursue a trial verdict. If you are successful at trial, the court will enter a judgment in your favor for the compensation that you have proven you deserve.
Contact Ben Crump Law, PLLC Today
If you slipped and fell in Starbucks through no fault of your own, you could be entitled to financial compensation that covers your medical expenses, lost wages, and other injury-related losses.
If you are ready to move forward with your injury claim, do not hesitate to contact an injury lawyer for slip and fall accidents at Starbucks. Call Ben Crump Law, PLLC today at (800) 647-3113 to speak with a member of our team.