A Complera lawsuit may lead to compensation for the following damages:
- The cost of diagnosing a Complera-related medical problem
- The cost of treating your medical problem(s)
- Lost earnings
- A decline in earning power
- Lost productivity
- Pain and suffering
You may receive coverage of any other damages that you have.
Why are Plaintiffs Suing Over Complera?
Plaintiffs are suing drug manufacturer Gilead Sciences for exposing them to unnecessary danger. Their claims include:
- That Gilead Sciences sold Complera despite having safer alternatives available
- That Gilead Sciences put its financial motives ahead of plaintiffs’ safety
- That Gilead Sciences is financially responsible for harm that Complera has caused
A specific ingredient in Complera, tenofovir disoproxil fumarate (TDF), is potentially dangerous. As the Journal of Virus Eradication explains, the ingredient tenofovir alafenamide (TAF) is both safer and more effective than TDF.
Plaintiffs allege that Gilead Sciences could have replaced products containing TDF with those containing TAF sooner. Because it did not, more victims suffered TDF-related side effects than was necessary.
What Side Effects Does Complera Cause?
According to Gilead Sciences, Complera causes several serious side effects, including:
Kidney problems caused by Complera may be so severe that they cause complete kidney failure. Acute kidney failure can cause death, according to the Mayo Clinic.
Worsening Bone Health
Taking Complera can cause:
- Thin bones
- Soft bones
- Bone breaks
These conditions can be painful. Treating them may also require costly medical procedures.
Changes to Skin and Other Body Parts
Complera may cause
- Facial swelling
- Skin blisters
- Sores in your mouth
- Eye swelling
These conditions may lead to even more serious health problems.
Mood and Personality Changes
Gilead Sciences lists depression, hopelessness, sadness, anxiety, restlessness, and suicidal thoughts as possible symptoms of Complera.
Excessive Lactic Acid
The unsafe buildup of lactic acid in your blood is called lactic acidosis. This potential symptom of Complera can cause a variety of individual symptoms. Lactic acidosis can be deadly, per Healthline.
These and other adverse side effects of Complera may entitle you to compensation.
What Makes Gilead Sciences Liable
According to the American Bar Association (ABA), a defendant is negligent if it fails to act reasonably. This standard applies to civil lawsuits like yours.
In the case of Gilead Sciences, we may argue that:
- It would have been reasonable for Gilead Sciences to put your safety over their profits
- It would have been reasonable for Gilead Sciences to replace the ingredient TDF with the safer alternative TAF
- By failing to replace TDF with TAF as quickly as possible, Gilead Sciences was negligent
We will argue that Gilead Sciences should have known, or did know, that TDF was not completely safe. Manufacturing an unsafe product generally qualifies as negligence. By exposing you to harm, Gilead Sciences may be financially liable for your medical problems.
Truvada, another HIV medication produced by Gilead, has been the subject of litigation for similar reasons. Potential Complera litigants should take note of this, as not a single Truvada lawsuit has settled to date. This makes it vital that you secure the services of an experienced attorney should you seek compensation from Gilead.
How Our Firm Can Serve You
We will make your case for awards. Our firm can:
Work with Medical Professionals
Your Complera-related case may involve complex medical topics. We will do our homework. We will also hire medical professionals as necessary.
These professionals may:
- Explain general medical concepts
- Explain your specific condition
- Help produce exhibits for your case
- Help project the cost of your future medical care
We hire any experts that we think will help your case.
Value Your Losses
Damages and compensation are central to any Complera lawsuit. We will determine the value of your damages. This will determine how much compensation you deserve.
During the loss valuation process, we may:
- Speak with your employer
- Speak with your family members
- Secure proof of lost income
- Secure financial statements for all Complera-related losses
- Determine a monetary value for non-economic losses
We consider both your current and future losses when negotiating your settlement.
Negotiate for You
Negotiations are the make-or-break moment for your lawsuit. This is the time when we:
- Present evidence supporting your case
- Present our calculation for compensation
- Hear the defendant’s counter-arguments
- Respond to those arguments
We accept nothing less than the compensation you deserve. Per the ABA, most lawsuits result in a settlement. Our firm will take your case to trial if we do not negotiate a settlement.
Protect Your Rights
A lawsuit is about ensuring no further harm comes to you. We prevent harm by protecting your rights.
We defend you against:
- Gilead Sciences
- Lawyers for Gilead Sciences
- Lawyers for any other defendants in your case
- Anyone else who tries to violate your rights
Defending your rights is key to winning your case.
Call Ben Crump Law, PLLC for a Free Consultation
We charge you nothing out of pocket. We only receive a fee if we win awards for you. There is no risk in calling our team. The consultation is free as well.
Call Ben Crump Law, PLLC today at (800) 959-1444 for a free case evaluation. We will answer your questions and address your concerns.