Slip and fall is a term used to describe an injury that happens when someone slips and falls on someone else’s property. Property owners owe you a duty of care to make sure that you are not entering an unsafe building. When they fail to uphold this duty, they can be held accountable for your medical bills and other damages.
A Bakersfield slip and fall injury lawyer can protect your rights and help you recover damages. You have already suffered because of another person’s reckless act or failure to act. You should not have to bear a financial burden for an injury that was not your fault.
Please call Ben Crump Law, PLLC at (800) 647-3113 for a free case evaluation.
What You Should Do After a Slip and Fall Accident
As slip and fall injury lawyers, we know that this type of injury is shocking to both your physical and emotional well-being. Our deep understanding of this type of personal injury allows us to help you recover damages from the party (or parties) responsible for your pain.
We suggest these actions as soon as possible after a slip and fall injury:
- Get medical help (call 9-1-1 for emergencies).
- Gather evidence, if possible (for example, if your injury was caused by an exposed and unmarked cable, take a picture of the scene).
- Get the names and phone numbers of potential witnesses.
- Keep all paperwork associated with your injury and medical treatment.
You have the option of hiring a slip and fall injury lawyer as soon as possible following your accident. Our legal team can help you understand your options for pursuing damages from the at-fault party.
For a free legal consultation with a slip and fall injury lawyer serving Bakersfield, call 800-647-3113
Common Slip and Fall Injuries
Falls can be serious and sometimes fatal. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), falls are a leading factor in broken and fractured bones, particularly in the wrist and hands, as people try to brace themselves for impact.
Other injuries from a slip and fall accident include:
- Hip fractures
- Fractured ankle, foot, or leg
- Injured soft tissue (muscles, tendons, and ligaments)
- Cuts and abrasions
- Traumatic brain injury, including concussions
- Facial injuries, including chipped or lost teeth
- Internal bleeding with organ loss or damage
Falls are costly. The CDC website states that medical care for falls cost our nation $50 billion in 2015. You should not have to shoulder the financial burden for injuries that you did not cause.
Bakersfield Slip and Fall Injury Lawyer Near Me 800-647-3113
Why Determining Liability Is Important
A slip and fall injury lawyer can examine the circumstances of your injury to determine liability. Liability is a cornerstone of all personal injury cases and consists of:
- Establishing that the other party owed you a duty of care to provide a safe environment.
- Showing how the other party breached this duty of care in some manner, such as leaving cables or other tripping hazards in the walkway.
- Identify this breach as the cause of your injuries.
- Prove that you now have damages such as medical bills or lost pay because of your injuries.
Often, a slip and fall injury can be successfully resolved by filing an insurance claim against the other party. This is usually a property insurance claim, but it may also be another form of liability coverage. A lawyer with Ben Crump Law, PLLC can file a claim on your behalf and negotiate an acceptable settlement.
Factors in Slip and Fall Injuries
You or your loved one is injured because someone failed to act properly or did not act when required. Some of the more common reasons that people are injured in a slip and fall include:
- Spilled water on floors or walkways
- Insufficient markings for ramps, stairs, or other disruptions in floor elevation
- Cluttered walkways
- Loose or missing guardrails or grab bars
- Broken, torn, or uneven pavement or flooring
- Insufficient lighting
Slip and fall accidents can happen anywhere. A slip and fall injury that happens in a commercial business may be handled differently than one that happens in a private dwelling. Our legal team has a deep understanding of these cases and is here to help.
Click to contact our Bakersfield Personal Injury Lawyers today
Recovering Damages for a Slip and Fall
California allows you to pursue recovery for both special and general damages.
Special damages are money damages for specific losses caused by your injuries, including:
- Ambulance service
- Emergency room visit
- Hospitalization if you must be admitted
- Specialist visits
- Prescriptions and medical equipment such as crutches
- Follow-up care like physical therapy
- Lost or damaged property
- Time lost from work because of your injuries
- Other related out-of-pocket expenses such as mileage to and from your home, to the doctor, or the pharmacy
General damages are less tangible but are equally devastating, sometimes even more so. A Bakersfield slip and fall injury lawyer can evaluate the emotional cost to you for such losses as:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Loss of bodily function or disability
- Loss of consortium due to injuries
You should not have to continue to be harmed by someone’s mistake, carelessness, or omission. One call to Ben Crump Law, PLLC can begin a process of recovery for you and your loved ones.
Our Lawyers Work for You on a Contingency Basis
You do not pay upfront fees or out of pocket expenses when you select Ben Crump Law, PLLC to help you after a slip and fall accident. Our lawyers are paid from a portion of the settlement that we recover on your behalf.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Call Today to Avoid Missing Your Chance for Potential Compensation
California has a statute of limitations, or deadline, on personal injury lawsuits. According to California Code of Civil Procedure (CCP) § 335.1, you have only two years from the date of your injury. That is why we encourage you to call the office of a Bakersfield slip and fall injury lawyer today. It takes time to gather evidence, file a claim, and carefully go through the process of seeking damages while protecting your rights.
Call Ben Crump Law, PLLC today at (800) 647-3113 for a free case evaluation.
Call or text 800-647-3113 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form