Car accidents vary in severity but are always a burden, creating sudden financial stress and injury. Our team works to help prove negligence and build your case to get compensation for your pain and suffering. If a negligent driver injured you or a loved one, our Corpus Christi car accident lawyer might be able to help you understand your rights and what compensation you may be eligible for.
Call Ben Crump, PLLC, at (800) 598-7557 today for a free case evaluation. We also offer contingency fee plans, so you won’t pay until we win your case. Our team is here when you are ready to file.
Proving Liability in a Car Accident Lawsuit in Corpus Christi
Before filing a claim, you may want to discuss the case with an attorney who understands how to approach these processes. There are several factors that you will have to look at to get the compensation you deserve.
You will also need to negotiate with the defendant’s insurance company who may try reducing the damages you could have a right to, or even deny the claim altogether. Gathering as much evidence as you can immediately is a good place to start.
Ways to help prove liability immediately after an accident include:
- Contacting the police and obtain an accident report
- Taking pictures of the scene
- Gathering witness statements
- Exchanging insurance information
- Hiring a Corpus Christi personal injury lawyer
Comparative Negligence Laws
Texas uses a modified comparative negligence law. Under Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code §33.001, also referred to as proportionate responsibility, the negligent party must be more than 50% responsible for you to get compensation. How much compensation you get depends on how much negligence they are responsible for as well.
For a free legal consultation with a car accidents lawyer serving Corpus Christi, call 800-598-7557
Common Causes of Accidents
Car accidents cause deaths across the United States. According to the Centers for Disease and Control and Prevention (CDC), in 2015, over 2.5 million people received treatment in emergency rooms because of a car accident.
The CDC also reported that in 2017, there were $75 billion in damages claimed across the United States due to injuries and deaths from motor vehicle accidents. These damages were solely for wage losses and medical care. These statistics do not include other compensation or damages paid.
Common causes of accidents include:
- Distracted driving: According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), in 2018, 8% of fatal crashes were because of distracted driving. Distracted driving can mean many different things, such as eating while driving, texting, and changing the radio station.
- Alcohol and drug impairment or DUI: Driving under the influence of drugs and alcohol is a common cause of motor vehicle accidents. People under the influence of mind-altering substances lose their depth perception, motor skills, and judgment, making driving safely impossible.
- Speeding: Speeding is dangerous and unfortunately becomes a habit for some drivers. A driver’s reaction time slows when speeding, which is why collisions are more common with speeding involved.
Corpus Christi Car Accident Lawyer Near Me 800-598-7557
Statute of Limitations
Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code §16.003 states that a person must file their lawsuit within two years of the accident. If you miss the deadline, the defendant has the right to put in a motion to dismiss the case. There may be other exceptions depending on your case, which you can discuss with someone familiar with the law.
A Corpus Christi Car Accident Lawyer Is Ready to Help
When you let a car accident lawyer attend to your case, you allow yourself time to heal, which is the most important thing that a victim can do. Our team of lawyers can gather the information that you need, interview witnesses, and build a proper case so that you can rest and get back to everyday life.
Ben Crump, PLLC, has handled many of these personal injury cases, winning millions for our clients. We know what it takes to file, and we will do what we can to get you the compensation you may be entitled to. There will be no out-of-pocket fees required until we settle your case.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Compensation You May Be Eligible For
There are different types of compensation that a victim may be eligible for. It is important to note that you do not have to accept the first offer from a defense team or insurance company. There should be a thorough review of everything before jumping the gun.
- Economic damages: These damages are typically those that you can prove with receipts and bills. Examples of economic damages are hospital bills, surgeries, ambulance costs, and other health-related expenses, as well as a loss of wages and other inconvenience fees you gather due to the accident.
- Non-economic damages: Non-economic damages are intangible losses such as emotional stress and pain and suffering. Typically, the more severe your injuries and losses, the higher your amount of non-economic damages.
The damages for economic payments are more straightforward. When it comes to non-economic damages, the judge or jury measures the total amount based on the evidential facts collected on the claim and the extent of the damages the victim endured.
Ben Crump, PLLC Can Help You File
When it comes to filing a case, you might face defense teams and insurance companies who might try to downplay the amount of compensation to which you are entitled. It can help to leave these situations to those that are familiar with the law and can build your case for you.
Call our team today at (800) 598-7557 to see if a Corpus Christi car accident lawyer can help you. We will review your claim and get started on the process today. Ben Crump, PLLC offers free case evaluations and will not charge any fees up front to fight for compensation.